Speculation: Peter Horachek, What to Expect?

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Well, now that Kevin Dineen has been fired, which is still being contested in the other thread, what should we expect from Horacheck? Does anybody know what kind of system he runs, or style of play to expect? Tallon was quoted saying that Horacheck has a clean slate to prove his worth to the club, essentially.

-- Horachek's reaction

"He's excited to get the opportunity. His lifelong goal has been to be a head coach in the NHL. He's coached everywhere. He had success in Nashville. He's a no nonsense guy. He's a good communicator. We'll give him every opportunity to show his wares. -- Per GR

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Well, now that Kevin Dineen has been fired, which is still being contested in the other thread, what should we expect from Horacheck? Does anybody know what kind of system he runs, or style of play to expect? Tallon was quoted saying that Horacheck has a clean slate to prove his worth to the club, essentially.

-- Horachek's reaction

"He's excited to get the opportunity. His lifelong goal has been to be a head coach in the NHL. He's coached everywhere. He had success in Nashville. He's a no nonsense guy. He's a good communicator. We'll give him every opportunity to show his wares. -- Per GR

Helped build Nashville's great D, won a IHL champ as a HC for the solar bears in 2001 ... he's got a pretty good pedigree. Having guys like Screwie / Madden to help with the locker room is huge as well. I expect the players to play with newfound enthusiasm, but the talent may still not be there.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
I don't know a lot about him but I'm sure with madden and skrudland we will be more motivated. This is just the first step.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Well, sort of excited to see how the team reacts to the changing of the coaches tomorrow.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I'm really interested to see how he uses Matthias of our forwards. Hopefully we see some line ups that make sense too and not just throw out the same units shift after shift when they can't get anything done. Will Barch finally get to play more games?

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Petro has made huge strides defensively under his tenure. One can hope he'll get the same out of Guddy.

Erick*

Is this guy more of a defensive-minded coach? If we're going to have a new coach, that's what I want. I don't see how Laviolette would fix this team.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Is this guy more of a defensive-minded coach? If we're going to have a new coach, that's what I want. I don't see how Laviolette would fix this team.

From his little time here, his offense was super aggressive. D-men were ALWAYS jumping into the play and forwards are expected to recognize this and cover for them. There have been a ton of instances where Robak, Petro, or even Caruso would be behind the opposing net looking to make plays.

If anything, the games should be more exciting.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
From his little time here, his offense was super aggressive. D-men were ALWAYS jumping into the play and forwards are expected to recognize this and cover for them. There have been a ton of instances where Robak, Petro, or even Caruso would be behind the opposing net looking to make plays.

I think you've just made Erick puke. Haha, I am a bit concerned by that to be honest, considering the backcheck of the Panthers is horrendous already.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
What I expect? He will have worked with the SA guys that some of us are sure would be an upgrade over some of what we already have- Marky, Trocheck, Petro, and Racine especially. He should know their tendencies, who they would work well with and why.

He will be a fresh perspective for the guys who, despite the words of my fellow posters, have talent but are struggling with the choices that have been made for them.

My question is, will he take the strugglers, sit them down individually, and ask- 'Hey, who do YOU think you would work well with, and why?' and then try it for more than a shift or two?

I look at the stats without knowledge of how the stats were made (ERICK), and wonder if it means the stats would change for certain guys with partner changes at the pro level..Back to the stats argument, Howden did everything right last year except break bad luck and record a point...his stats say he sucked while the two eyes couldn't believe he didn't get a point per game...

Erick*

What I expect? He will have worked with the SA guys that some of us are sure would be an upgrade over some of what we already have- Marky, Trocheck, Petro, and Racine especially. He should know their tendencies, who they would work well with and why.

He will be a fresh perspective for the guys who, despite the words of my fellow posters, have talent but are struggling with the choices that have been made for them.

My question is, will he take the strugglers, sit them down individually, and ask- 'Hey, who do YOU think you would work well with, and why?' and then try it for more than a shift or two?

I look at the stats without knowledge of how the stats were made (ERICK), and wonder if it means the stats would change for certain guys with partner changes at the pro level..Back to the stats argument, Howden did everything right last year except break bad luck and record a point...his stats say he sucked while the two eyes couldn't believe he didn't get a point per game...

I never said that stats were everything. You just seem to ignore them completely. I am well-aware that line combos can affect a player's stats. I just don't think there's a specific set of lines that would turn things around.

What would your lines be and why?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

I LIKE this. Accountability for all, might not make Erick puke as Booooooth said, because as Erick clearly put- he doesn't want ANYONE not interested in backchecking (cycling/covering)...and I AGREE fully.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I LIKE this. Accountability for all, might not make Erick puke as Booooooth said, because as Erick clearly put- he doesn't want ANYONE not interested in backchecking (cycling/covering)...and I AGREE fully.

I have zero problem having players jumping up in the play if they equally backcheck hard if puck possession is lost. Remains to be seen if that will happen though. Guess we'll get our first glimpse tomorrow.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I never said that stats were everything. You just seem to ignore them completely. I am well-aware that line combos can affect a player's stats. I just don't think there's a specific set of lines that would turn things around.

I'm still confused how you think I ignore stats completely...

My lines and why? :) OK, without the time to look at rosters and stats

Line 1(first addressed line, not necessarily our top line)Matthias-Bergenheim-Kopecky/Howden.
Three(4) guys that all seem to have the same problem with finishing, but because they are all energy guys, show good cycling, and drive toward nets- they have ugly/garbage goals written all over them.

Line 2 (The Huberdeau line) Huberdeau-Goc-Barch Huber with the hands, Goc is good for everything, and Barch is toughness with some ability. I would see Goc and Barch doing most of the grind work to feed Huber where he is (be it the slot, in front, circles) and other two follow by going to appropriate open side and the other in front of the net. Another line I could see cycling well together.

Line 3 (Barkov line) Trocheck-Barkov-Bjugstad I would like to see this used as an attempt to replicate a Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line respectively. Get that 6'6 motherflucker in front of the damn net, and stay there(going behind the net for retrieval when need be).

Line 4 Ready? .....(Flash-Gomeiss-Versteeg) self explanatory!

If line 4, being my most unsure/unsolid line wouldn't work, Winchester, Versteeg, Flash, Gomez, Upshall, and Boyes are great to trade bait or interchangeable until something works as they are all perfect for a team that could use them. We just have better fits IMO. Like Winchester in for Barch easily depending on who we play or who's hotter, etc..

I do not forget that we have Rocco coming in a matter of months.

Campbell-Petro/Robak/Racine (From what I've seen, I think Racine is a hidden gem)
Guds-Kuli
Petro/Robak/Racine-Weaver

Timmy
Markstrom

I truly think we have the talent, and we have logical possiblities that haven't been tried. I obviously can't guarantee and bet my nuts they'd work-but I can easily imagine them to work better than what has been thrown together. This is just what I'd try first.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site

Don't do this...it happens every thread. Let's see what the new coach does with lines.
Edit:too late.

Erick*

I'm still confused how you think I ignore stats completely...

My lines and why? :) OK, without the time to look at rosters and stats

Line 1(first addressed line, not necessarily our top line)Matthias-Bergenheim-Kopecky/Howden.
Three(4) guys that all seem to have the same problem with finishing, but because they are all energy guys, show good cycling, and drive toward nets- they have ugly/garbage goals written all over them.

Line 2 (The Huberdeau line) Huberdeau-Goc-Barch Huber with the hands, Goc is good for everything, and Barch is toughness with some ability. I would see Goc and Barch doing most of the grind work to feed Huber where he is (be it the slot, in front, circles) and other two follow by going to appropriate open side and the other in front of the net. Another line I could see cycling well together.

Line 3 (Barkov line) Trocheck-Barkov-Bjugstad I would like to see this used as an attempt to replicate a Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line respectively. Get that 6'6 motherflucker in front of the damn net, and stay there(going behind the net for retrieval when need be).

Line 4 Ready? .....(Flash-Gomeiss-Versteeg) self explanatory!

If line 4, being my most unsure/unsolid line wouldn't work, Winchester, Versteeg, Flash, Gomez, Upshall, and Boyes are great to trade bait or interchangeable until something works as they are all perfect for a team that could use them. We just have better fits IMO. Like Winchester in for Barch easily depending on who we play or who's hotter, etc..

I do not forget that we have Rocco coming in a matter of months.

Campbell-Petro/Robak/Racine (From what I've seen, I think Racine is a hidden gem)
Guds-Kuli
Petro/Robak/Racine-Weaver

Timmy
Markstrom

I truly think we have the talent, and we have logical possiblities that haven't been tried. I obviously can't guarantee and bet my nuts they'd work-but I can easily imagine them to work better than what has been thrown together. This is just what I'd try first.

No offense, but those are some of the worst lines I've seen in awhile. You want Krys Barch to play with Jonathan Huberdeau? :help: You seem to think that enforcers can play on scoring lines just because they're big. It doesn't work that way. If that's what you had in mind for Dineen, I'm glad he never did it. No NHL coach would do that.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
No offense, but those are some of the worst lines I've seen in awhile. You want Krys Barch to play with Jonathan Huberdeau? :help: You seem to think that enforcers can play on scoring lines just because they're big. It doesn't work that way. If that's what you had in mind for Dineen, I'm glad he never did it. No NHL coach would do that.

Ok. look up Gino Odjick.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Steve Goldstein ‏@goldieonice 1m
Seemed loose, but lines were 11-27-14/17, 19-16-24,82-57-32,23-18-20/21 #FlaPanthers

I like the new lines to say the least...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad