Peter Holland Pt.2

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
once Bozak came back he was put on the third line and was out played by Bodie and therefore lost his spot, he's someone who isn't good at anything imo, 10 points in 39 games is nothing to be proud of especially considering he got 5 of those in 2 games, so 5 points in his other 37 games. he wasn't good enough to make the leafs this year he did nothing to keep his spot. he will more then likely not make it next year either and be put on waivers.

Why did Anaheim trade Holland?
Getzlaf
Bonino
Koivu
Perreault
Steckle
You mean he couldn't fit?
Holland was in the minors when we got him.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
In reality it is him or kadri.

Our C sucks and we lost Kadri somehow and who is more likely hoping for trade. On a real contender they are both 3rd line centers.We cant have both but next year is Kadri 3rd year and he could become a 2nd C,Holland wont. One thing is certain Carlyle and Kadri cant co exist,he lost this kid bigtime.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Oh I agree for now, but once both Bolland and Bozak are back fulltime(Bolland will be back by about end of january lets say) Where will he go? You cant really put him over those two yet, unless he becomes significantly better than Bozak.

It's not a bad problem by any means, but I think it means he would have to go to the wing once that happens, but that will be very useful come playoff time.

once Bozak came back he was put on the third line and was out played by Bodie and therefore lost his spot, he's someone who isn't good at anything imo, 10 points in 39 games is nothing to be proud of especially considering he got 5 of those in 2 games, so 5 points in his other 37 games. he wasn't good enough to make the leafs this year he did nothing to keep his spot. he will more then likely not make it next year either and be put on waivers.
If this is the case and we lose Bolland as well, that's 3 2nd, 2 4th and a 7th gone for nothing. Throw in the buyout of Grabbo and you have a lot of wasted assets. You have to think that at least one of them is staying.
If not, DN should have his head on a stick.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Our C sucks and we lost Kadri somehow and who is more likely hoping for trade. On a real contender they are both 3rd line centers.We cant have both but next year is Kadri 3rd year and he could become a 2nd C,Holland wont. One thing is certain Carlyle and Kadri cant co exist,he lost this kid bigtime.

How do you know this? Sounds like you're making stuff up as you go.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kadri is a low cost budget 3c on a good team. That's where he should be because if our team was actually built right we have a core top 6 of 25-29 year olds and Kadri is fighting for a promotion. I don't even know what Holland is supposed to be.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kadri is a low cost budget 3c on a good team. That's where he should be because if our team was actually built right we have a core top 6 of 25-29 year olds and Kadri is fighting for a promotion. I don't even know what Holland is supposed to be.

He seems like a reincarnated Joe Colborne tweener.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That cost what we could get a half decent player for. Lots of head shaking can be done about what Nonis did to this team.

It's too bad they traded for him and didn't really put him in a chance to grow into a top six player who could justify the price tag this season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's too bad they traded for him and didn't really put him in a chance to grow into a top six player who could justify the price tag this season.

The original price tag was fine, but playing him 25 games plus for 4mins a night was outrageous.

I honestly thought he was some depth and a project pickup but that price is for a serviceable low cost 3rd rd C (the original non conditional price)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
People are too hard on Holland IMO. He has a lot going for him - good size, good skater, great shot, seems to have decent hockey IQ in general. He's fairly young, and he wasn't far off being a 3C last year, I can definitely see him maturing into a solid 3C for us next year.

Bolland is very likely gone, he wants way too much $$$. I don't get why people think Holland and Kadri can't co-exist, I'd say the most likely centre rotation for us next year is Bozak/Kadri/Holland/McClement. Yeah, it's a weak centre rotation, but what else is new?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Would love to see Holland get a full time position on this team next year. Think he's got a lot of things going for him that could lead him to having a successful NHL career here.

We saw glimpses of it when he was playing in the top 6, and in particular with Lupul. Ended up really having his ice time cut though and that obviously hurt his ability to make an impact

crazyaces**

I'd have no issue with the Holland trade if they had just stopped him at the 25 game mark. Was it really worth it to play him an extra 10+ games knowing that you've giving up a second round pick...stupid.

mikebel111*

I am perfectly fine with Holland as 3rd line C who can move up if injuries or struggles to other centres.

Much better than Bolland

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
People are too hard on Holland IMO. He has a lot going for him - good size, good skater, great shot, seems to have decent hockey IQ in general. He's fairly young, and he wasn't far off being a 3C last year, I can definitely see him maturing into a solid 3C for us next year.

Bolland is very likely gone, he wants way too much $$$. I don't get why people think Holland and Kadri can't co-exist, I'd say the most likely centre rotation for us next year is Bozak/Kadri/Holland/McClement. Yeah, it's a weak centre rotation, but what else is new?

Unless we draft willie nylander ;)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

The thing people either forget or don't know is he was in hospital for something like 10-14 days with the skate bite infection, And by the sounds of Spott in his post game presser he's still having issues from it.

So hopefully over the summer he recuperates fully, And impresses next camp.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Well it has the appearance of a weak center core, but it is also young and full of potential. Perhaps it can be better if we all just apply a little patience to them.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Where do people stand on Peter Holland these days?

It looks like he'll be competing with Santorelli and Kontiola for either the 3C or 4C spots at training camp.

Aside from that one big game he had last season versus Chicago, where he Lupul and Raymond went off, I didn't really think that he showed very much while he was with the leafs.

I do recall Randy saying something in the media about Holland challenging for the 2C spot after he had that big game but nothing really materialized competition wise after that.

In fact, I thought Randy really didn't show much confidence in Holland as he often had him stapled to the bench late in games or playing really limited minutes.

Spott, on the other hand complemented Holland's vision and went on to say that he felt Peter is an NHL type talent in another article that I read.

I haven't personally caught any Marlies games but Holland seemed to be fairly productive during their recent playoff run. I know that he has a nice shot and decent speed.

Can anyone tell me more about his AHL contributions?

My personal viewings of Holland have been fairly limited but from what I have observed thus far he seems to avoid playing a physical game (despite his decent size) and I am not too sure about his compete level either.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but for the above reasons I have my doubts that Holland will be much of a contributor next season (although I am rooting for him to succeed).

To be completely honest, part of me wonders whether we would have been better off just hanging onto Joel Colborne despite his lousy camp last year because we were sorely lacking C depth.

mikebel111*

Where do people stand on Peter Holland these days?

It looks like he'll be competing with Santorelli and Kontiola for either the 3C or 4C spots at training camp.

Aside from that one big game he had last season versus Chicago, where he Lupul and Raymond went off, I didn't really think that he showed very much while he was with the leafs.

I do recall Randy saying something in the media about Holland challenging for the 2C spot after he had that big game but nothing really materialized competition wise after that.

In fact, I thought Randy really didn't show much confidence in Holland as he often had him stapled to the bench late in games or playing really limited minutes.

Spott, on the other hand complemented Holland's vision and went on to say that he felt Peter is an NHL type talent in another article that I read.

I haven't personally caught any Marlies games but Holland seemed to be fairly productive during their recent playoff run. I know that he has a nice shot and decent speed.

Can anyone tell me more about his AHL contributions?

My personal viewings of Holland have been fairly limited but from what I have observed thus far he seems to avoid playing a physical game (despite his decent size) and I am not too sure about his compete level either.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but for the above reasons I have my doubts that Holland will be much of a contributor next season (although I am rooting for him to succeed).

To be completely honest, part of me wonders whether we would have been better off just hanging onto Joel Colborne despite his lousy camp last year because we were sorely lacking C depth.

But but he made Kadri expendable:sarcasm:
He was the best player for the Marlies in the playoffs. Its clear Holland has top 6 skill. Question is, is it consistent top 6 skill? I was impressed when he actually wasn't buried on the 4th line. He skates well for his size. Has a nice shot and nice playmaking as well. Is decent on D though he needs to improve that aspect.
He and Ashton also have nice chemistry so I would like them to be on a line together. All in all I think he along with an Ashton need a proper chance which looks like they will get this year and I think they will impress

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If I were Peter Holland, I would go look at tapes of Stan Makita, Doug Jarvis, Peter Zezel, Bobby Clarke, Rob Brindamour, Yanic Perreault, and become a dependable face off man, that can chip in offensively as well.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
But but he made Kadri expendable:sarcasm:
He was the best player for the Marlies in the playoffs. Its clear Holland has top 6 skill. Question is, is it consistent top 6 skill? I was impressed when he actually wasn't buried on the 4th line. He skates well for his size. Has a nice shot and nice playmaking as well. Is decent on D though he needs to improve that aspect.
He and Ashton also have nice chemistry so I would like them to be on a line together. All in all I think he along with an Ashton need a proper chance which looks like they will get this year and I think they will impress

I think coaching will be just as critical to Holland's success, particularly if RC and Co. decide to use their 3rd and 4th lines as effective energy/scoring lines and not dead weight punch deterents.

There just wasn't enough minutes on the 4th line in particular last year for guys like Holland to get consistent minutes when we weren't decimated with injuries/suspensions up the middle.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If I were Peter Holland, I would go look at tapes of Stan Makita, Doug Jarvis, Peter Zezel, Bobby Clarke, Rob Brindamour, Yanic Perreault, and become a dependable face off man, that can chip in offensively as well.

i agree. i think that Spott said it. find something on the team that they're lacking :)biglaugh:) and make that something you can provide. so in his case it's not just about the offense - but if he can be a huge faceoff guy and really work on defensive coverage that's pretty darned good.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Anaheim snagged a tall Swedish defenseman named Marcus Pettersson with the 2nd rounder we gave them in the Holland deal.

I hope Spott helps Holland find a meaningful role with the team, possibly as the fourth line center to begin with.

Is he any good at taking faceoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad