Peter Holland Pt.2

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If Bozak and Mcclement are not taking face-offs for us, Kadri and Holland would be closer to 35% on the year.

I do wish people would take these stats with a grain of salt given some centre's face-off against the best face-off men from other teams and others do not.

Not true, all of of our centers are facing NHL-quality centermen, unless Bozak and McClement are facing Patrice Bergeron every night, the difference is a couple percentage maximum.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not true, all of of our centers are facing NHL-quality centermen, unless Bozak and McClement are facing Patrice Bergeron every night, the difference is a couple percentage maximum.

Holland and Kadri are not on the level of Mcclement and Bozak when they have faced top Centers. Kadri was 1-7 one game I recall this year when Bozak and Bolland were out.

Infact Bolland is not really a good face-off man either.

Mcclement and Bozak are counted on far more in key situations.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Holland and Kadri are not on the level of Mcclement and Bozak when they have faced top Centers. Kadri was 1-7 one game I recall this year when Bozak and Bolland were out.

Infact Bolland is not really a good face-off man either.

Mcclement and Bozak are counted on far more in key situations.

Kadri was not great on faceoffs when he was with JVR & Kessel. One reason they struggled so much was the lack of puck possession. Winning faceoffs is key in that area. Now look at how our top line has performed since Bozak's return. Better face off guy, more puck possession in the Offensive end, more scoring from JVR & Kessel.

In the last minute, while protecting a lead, in the defensive end...who takes the majority of those faceoffs, and why?

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 2h
Ashton was spotted with his hand heavily bandaged; Carlyle says both Carter & Peter Holland are "question marks" for tonight

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 14m
So Holland might miss game with lace bite. Anyone recall that happening with NHLers recently?

Furthermore -> "@markhmasters Holland on crutches says that Carlyle has a thing for understatement"

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Your lace bite has to be pretty awful to need crutches. You can normally do things to counteract lacebite, but it can take a while for the tendon to heal. Even longer if you play through it.

ForSpareParts*

I'm really struggling...

Trying to figure out where Holland fits into the Leafs line-up.

If we go with the theory that Bozak is good enough to play 1C, but really is a 2C then where the heck does Holland fit? He's not a 3rd liner to me. I don't see him bringing enough energy to the 3rd or any jam to the 4th.

Our centres as of now:

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
Smith

If we want to improve our C position by dropping Bozak to the 2nd line then where does Kadri fit?

Maybe Holland can be used in a package for a 1C or a good D.

Also i know we don't have a lot of centre depth, but I hate when players are played in the wrong position.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm really struggling...

Trying to figure out where Holland fits into the Leafs line-up.

If we go with the theory that Bozak is good enough to play 1C, but really is a 2C then where the heck does Holland fit? He's not a 3rd liner to me. I don't see him bringing enough energy to the 3rd or any jam to the 4th.

Our centres as of now:

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
Smith

If we want to improve our C position by dropping Bozak to the 2nd line then where does Kadri fit?

Maybe Holland can be used in a package for a 1C or a good D.

Also i know we don't have a lot of centre depth, but I hate when players are played in the wrong position.

You need a first line center before you can plan to drop Bozak to the 2nd line.

Not sure why you're struggling. If we resign Bolland, then Holland just kicks around in and out of the lineup or gets traded. If we don't resign Bolland, Holland is the #3. I presume McClement returns.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I cant for the life of me figure out why Randy didnt give Holland more of an opportunity in a top 6 role, even if it was playing wing. Heck, Kadri coucld have moved to his wing and he could have continued to play 2nd line C.

When given minutes and line mates he produced. He was one of our few Cs who could actually cycle the puck. I think a Lupul-Holland-Kadri line has some serious potential.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I cant for the life of me figure out why Randy didnt give Holland more of an opportunity in a top 6 role, even if it was playing wing. Heck, Kadri coucld have moved to his wing and he could have continued to play 2nd line C.

When given minutes and line mates he produced. He was one of our few Cs who could actually cycle the puck. I think a Lupul-Holland-Kadri line has some serious potential.

Kadri sucks on wing, he's a center, I thought we realized that last year when he put up 44 points in 48 games playing center

I thought Holland looked terrific on a line with Kulemin and Clarkson. It looked like the only line we put together all year long that played a dominant cycle game. I have no idea why Randy didn't keep it together, it worked great while it was together but Randy went back to trying to force Clarkhole on the second line.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
It all depends on the makeup of the team. If we replace Carlyle and adopt a true four line approach, he could have a sheltered scoring role, a la Kadri last year, and really flourish playing with players like Clarkson/Leivo/Ashton. Before you take dumps on Clarkson, he struggled with Kadri obviously, but Holland is a far different player. He is more of a shooter and Clarkson might do well crashing the net instead of being asked to finish passing plays.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It all depends on the makeup of the team. If we replace Carlyle and adopt a true four line approach, he could have a sheltered scoring role, a la Kadri last year, and really flourish playing with players like Clarkson/Leivo/Ashton. Before you take dumps on Clarkson, he struggled with Kadri obviously, but Holland is a far different player. He is more of a shooter and Clarkson might do well crashing the net instead of being asked to finish passing plays.
Holland in a depth scoring role is probably what we need to do. He looked great when used as a top six forward and is on a cheap cap hit as well. In addition to Clarkson, Kulemin or even Ashton could work.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Holland has shown he has NHL 2nd line vision and hands.

Holland is at that point in his career where the AHL won't teach him anything further and now he just needs a chance with some minutes to grow just like Kadri and Grabo did.

Nonis didn't give up a 2nd for Holland just to have him average a bit less than 12 minutes a game.

Next season I expect Holland to be closer to 15 minutes a game and there will be some growing pain but he has a very realistic shot to grow into being a good tweener type whether it ends up being on the wing or at center.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Randy and Nonis have done more in a single season to hurt this team than any GM I can remember.

Randy Played Holland just enough to ensure his old team got a better pick. He single handedly reduced 2 legit top 6 players to 0 worth. And I wouldn't be surprised he wanted Clarkson as well.

It's criminal what transpired. The asset value we lost was bad. Real bad, the worst ever outside maybe Rask but combined with Clarkson, probably the worst single off season ever.

I can't even believe to this day that leafs fans weren't outraged more at the loss of CMac and Grabo for nothing.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

i agree with this. also,holland is more positionally sound than kadri, and does more simply plays instead of going flashy. i think clarkson just can't keep up with kadri because naz is more creative and unpredictable in the offensive zone and it's not just the passing.

what frustrated me the most about carlyle was when it wasn't broke he 'fixed it'. and when it was broke....

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Because Carlyle had some weird fettish for playing McClement 20 mins a night and thinking he would provide everything we need.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Holland has shown he has NHL 2nd line vision and hands.

Holland is at that point in his career where the AHL won't teach him anything further and now he just needs a chance with some minutes to grow just like Kadri and Grabo did.

Nonis didn't give up a 2nd for Holland just to have him average a bit less than 12 minutes a game.

Next season I expect Holland to be closer to 15 minutes a game and there will be some growing pain but he has a very realistic shot to grow into being a good tweener type whether it ends up being on the wing or at center.

Putting Holland as our third line center would give us 3 lines that can actually score against the competition.

Something along these lines and I am fine:

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Leivo-Kadri-Clarkson
Ashton-Holland-D'Amigo

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Kadri sucks on wing, he's a center, I thought we realized that last year when he put up 44 points in 48 games playing center

I thought Holland looked terrific on a line with Kulemin and Clarkson. It looked like the only line we put together all year long that played a dominant cycle game. I have no idea why Randy didn't keep it together, it worked great while it was together but Randy went back to trying to force Clarkhole on the second line.

Kadri hasnt been played at wing since he broke out. Its certainly a chicken and egg scenario, but its worth a look IMO if it gets Holland more ice time and increasing secondary scoring.

ForSpareParts*

Should Kadri be looking over his shoulder (Holland)?

Most dispute that he's suited for the 2nd line C role.

Kadri fans cannot ignore Hollands' presence for long.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kadri hasnt been played at wing since he broke out. Its certainly a chicken and egg scenario, but its worth a look IMO if it gets Holland more ice time and increasing secondary scoring.

How would Holland look on wing? He's a north/south player vs. Kadri east/west.
If you re-sign Bolland or UFA Stastny, Holland could replace Raymond.
Holland-Bolland/Stastny-Clarkson
Kadri could drop to 3rd C again with a combo of:
Kulemin/Komarov-Kadri-Leivo

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
From the short amount of time I was able to see him, he seems to have fairly decent offensive instincts, he made players around him better.

I think he is the kind of guy that would do well on the 3rd line with some skilled wingers.

Since someone mentioned Kadri, I think Kadri, for the short term, is probably better suited for the 3rd line. Only Kadri and Lupul had a worse PDO for forwards on the Leafs.

I'd like to see a line with Holland at Center, Kadri on the wing and a rookie like Mckegg on the other wing. Someone who has a pedigree that can score and has a reputation as a hard worker.

mikebel111*

How many times have we said this? Kadri's game is gone at wing. Especially his playmaking. He is not a winger! I would like holland to switch to wing.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Should Kadri be looking over his shoulder (Holland)?

Most dispute that he's suited for the 2nd line C role.

Kadri fans cannot ignore Hollands' presence for long.

Holland could carve out a decent career but let's not act like he's even close to being a player of Kadri's caliber.

mikebel111*

Holland could carve out a decent career but let's not act like he's even close to being a player of Kadri's caliber.

Its always another way to try to run kadri out of town
I like holland. Really excited about him but saying he made kadri expendable was a funny joke

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

once Bozak came back he was put on the third line and was out played by Bodie and therefore lost his spot, he's someone who isn't good at anything imo, 10 points in 39 games is nothing to be proud of especially considering he got 5 of those in 2 games, so 5 points in his other 37 games. he wasn't good enough to make the leafs this year he did nothing to keep his spot. he will more then likely not make it next year either and be put on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad