Peter Holland Pt.2

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
The impression I have of Holland is he's a player that coasts on his talent, he's definitely not a heart and soul type of player, rarely wins puck battles, doesn't give that 2nd effort, defensively non-existent, adds zero possession ability but when he has the puck he has some ability. To me he's another Mason Raymond in a larger package and I can see why Anaheim gave him up so easily.

Holland was afforded every opportunity to succeed with TO but he wasn't able to escape his comfort zone and truly impress, unless he really wants to be an NHLer he'll be like the old saying "the lights are on but nobody's home".

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
The impression I have of Holland is he's a player that coasts on his talent, he's definitely not a heart and soul type of player, rarely wins puck battles, doesn't give that 2nd effort, defensively non-existent, adds zero possession ability but when he has the puck he has some ability. To me he's another Mason Raymond in a larger package and I can see why Anaheim gave him up so easily.

Holland was afforded every opportunity to succeed with TO but he wasn't able to escape his comfort zone and truly impress, unless he really wants to be an NHLer he'll be like the old saying "the lights are on but nobody's home".

Nice summary. Certainly isn't a Shannahan type player at all. I think acquiring Holland was a desperation move by Nonis.

cack

Jul 30, 2013

How much time have you spent watching Holland play to come to that impression?

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

Nice summary. Certainly isn't a Shannahan type player at all. I think acquiring Holland was a desperation move by Nonis.

That's a really bad summary actually.

DoubleDouble*

I like Holland a lot, I am just completely unsure of where he slides into this line up. We have a lot of players that play the game like he does - weaker along the boards, mediocre defensively, creative but not explosive. To me he's very similar to Lupul. He's definitely an NHL player right now, I just don't if he is a fit for us.

mikebel111*

yeah I don't agree with that summary at all. Seriously what opportunities? When he wasn't buried, he did well.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think Holland is pretty good. A good fit on this team IMO. I hope we hang on to him so that we'll be able to see what he can really do.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I like Holland a lot, I am just completely unsure of where he slides into this line up. We have a lot of players that play the game like he does - weaker along the boards, mediocre defensively, creative but not explosive. To me he's very similar to Lupul. He's definitely an NHL player right now, I just don't if he is a fit for us.

Where do you think he would fit? Maybe with a defensive oriented team that needs some offense? That certainly is not us.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
How much time have you spent watching Holland play to come to that impression?

This is a fair question I think and outside of his TO time I watched the Marlies during their playoff march when it was on TV. I was never sure if RC was giving Holland a proper opportunity to succeed on TO so I watched the Marlies to get a better impression of Holland, he was the only one I was interested in. He scores well as he always has in the minors but he's definitely not a player you'd want to go to war with.

The Marlies seemed to play the same type of non-possession run and gun offensive game that the Leafs used last year and I felt that Holland was a poster boy for that type of game. Of course he had his moments but it's his inability to bring it continuously in the minors that is troubling, that is what separates an NHLer from a minor leaguer.

mikebel111*

This is a fair question I think and outside of his TO time I watched the Marlies during their playoff march when it was on TV. I was never sure if RC was giving Holland a proper opportunity to succeed on TO so I watched the Marlies to get a better impression of Holland, he was the only one I was interested in. He scores well as he always has in the minors but he's definitely not a player you'd want to go to war with.

The Marlies seemed to play the same type of non-possession run and gun offensive game that the Leafs used last year and I felt that Holland was a poster boy for that type of game. Of course he had his moments but it's his inability to bring it continuously in the minors that is troubling, that is what separates an NHLer from a minor leaguer.

Marlies play a possession game, don't let one series make you think otherwise

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
^agree. marlies looked like headless chickens against the stars (?) but played much better possession than the leafs.

holland is a smooth skater, but he's not a run-head-first into the boards player like clarkson, nor is he a spark plug like a rupert/ross/komorov.

his 2 way game seems fine, and he just needs more time to get his offensive touches. he thinks quick enough and does a lot of sensible things in the offensive zone.

he has the best offense shown so far at the pro level among prospects, although obviously not as high a ceiling as nylander. he's clearly above leivo so far who is the next developed forward prospect.

with good line mates (lupul/jvr/kadri), i could see him getting 40-50 points on second line at his peak.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Marlies play a possession game, don't let one series make you think otherwise

I also had the run and gun impression during the regular season and in that scenario Spencer Abbot impressed me as the Marlies best and brightest prospect as he was the closest to a possession player they had, IMO. Possession player in that when he had the puck he was able to make things happen but he wasn't much for getting the puck.

Brennan reminded me of Franson so I'm not displeased he's gone.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Its interesting the impressions of holland from other Guelph Storm / Leaf fans like myself that now have him on roster. I think all of us saw some great talent but his work ethic / heart etc. is heavily debated, I tend to stay out of those kind of debates.

Personally I think he was stuck too deep on Anaheim and it affected his development. He needs some Top 6 minutes to see if he can put together the kind of game he had in junior. I realize that often doesn't translate but he wont put the game he had in guelph on the 3rd/4th line. If leafs can't use him on top 6 I would consider moving him while he has some relative value from his upside.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

yeah I don't agree with that summary at all. Seriously what opportunities? When he wasn't buried, he did well.

i dont remember holland given the opportunity to play a proper roll over an extended period of time. my gut feeling is that he is going to get buried on the 4th line this year which will not help his development. i always felt he was a decent stop gap 3rd line center.

players like komorov who have zero offensive upside should not be on the 3rd line. of course this will never happen but i would like to see;

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-clarkson
kontiola-holland-frattin
komorov-santorelli-bodie

Ace88*

Of course it was a desperation move lol, at the time we had 3 NHL-worthy centres and one of them was Jay McClement. Then Bozak got injured and we were down to Kadri and Jay Mc. Obviously it was a desperation move, we would've been even more ****ed if we didn't trade for him than we were.

Now the real travesty is how he was handled. He could've played 16 minutes a night, given us meaningful ice time, then go back down to the AHL after 22 games and we'd still have a 2nd round pick and a pretty damn good prospect from this past draft. Instead, Crazy Ole Uncle Randy played him for 4 minutes a game for like 30 games, THEN sent him down to the Marlies. Truly some of the worst player handling i've ever seen, Holland got a raw deal from Carlyle.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Of course it was a desperation move lol, at the time we had 3 NHL-worthy centres and one of them was Jay McClement. Then Bozak got injured and we were down to Kadri and Jay Mc. Obviously it was a desperation move, we would've been even more ****ed if we didn't trade for him than we were.

Now the real travesty is how he was handled. He could've played 16 minutes a night, given us meaningful ice time, then go back down to the AHL after 22 games and we'd still have a 2nd round pick and a pretty damn good prospect from this past draft. Instead, Crazy Ole Uncle Randy played him for 4 minutes a game for like 30 games, THEN sent him down to the Marlies. Truly some of the worst player handling i've ever seen, Holland got a raw deal from Carlyle.

Randy Carlyle has single handedly chased out about or mismanaged assets to the tune of AT LEAST A LOSS OF 2x 1sts 2x 2nds. He is a asset value assassinator.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Sure did. So did Ashton

Tyler Biggs*

Good depth signing. Despite being prone to the odd turnover I think Holland has the potential to be a solid 3rd line centre. He's a big body who can skate, hit and be effective as a playmaker. Think Kris Draper.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Its interesting the impressions of holland from other Guelph Storm / Leaf fans like myself that now have him on roster. I think all of us saw some great talent but his work ethic / heart etc. is heavily debated, I tend to stay out of those kind of debates.

Personally I think he was stuck too deep on Anaheim and it affected his development. He needs some Top 6 minutes to see if he can put together the kind of game he had in junior. I realize that often doesn't translate but he wont put the game he had in guelph on the 3rd/4th line. If leafs can't use him on top 6 I would consider moving him while he has some relative value from his upside.

Do you think he could shift to the wing?

There is a gaping hole on our second line and he had some decent chemistry with Lupul last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad