Peter Forsberg still got it

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
my all-time list if players was able to play to their potential without injuries.

1. Mario Lemiuex
2. Wayne Gretzky
3. Bobby Orr
4. Gordie Howe
5. Eric Lindros
6. Peter Forsberg
7. Sidney Crosby
8. Doug Harvey
9. Bobby Hull
10. Maurice Richard.

I hope Jagr has one of his many ladies go to your house and slap you for such an insult.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He would still be a decent NHL player today if he could fit his foot comfortably into a skate, even at his age with all this time off.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Honestly maybe my favourite NHL player of all time. Such a treat to watch. He was a beast on ice.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
Honestly maybe my favourite NHL player of all time. Such a treat to watch. He was a beast on ice.
And he did everything to win. Just a guy that hated losing so badly. There is a grat interview with him when he was 17-18 or so, where he just snapped after the game because they lost. That's the kind of guy you want on your team.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Impressive. Little off topic, but am I crazy for seeing some Forsberg in Radulov's game? Obviously Radulov would have had to have everything go right in order to touch Forsberg. I mean in a stylistic sense.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
He was a heck of a player.. Trottier-lite.

My probably two favourite players ever. A few others may be the flavour of the moment, when reminiscing about a Cup-run, tournament or game. But always comes back to these two. The perfect centersm, two-way-players and competitors to me. I would place them at absolute peak just about even, with actually Forsberg slightly ahead. But Trottiers career-arch puts him a few clear steps ahead on all time lists.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
And he did everything to win. Just a guy that hated losing so badly. There is a grat interview with him when he was 17-18 or so, where he just snapped after the game because they lost. That's the kind of guy you want on your team.

He said in an interview that he hates to lose and to see the opponents and their crowd cheering more than he loves to win. Most Swedish players lack that killer instinct unfortunately, it feels like more of a North American trait.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Impressive. Little off topic, but am I crazy for seeing some Forsberg in Radulov's game? Obviously Radulov would have had to have everything go right in order to touch Forsberg. I mean in a stylistic sense.

Not at all crazy if Radulov is still the same player I remember him as.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Forsberg is definately one of the most overrated. He wasn't even distinctly the best player on those Avs teams. Sakic and Roy were both better IMO. Forsberg never had that elite finishing ability Sakic had.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As a Wings fan I hated him when he played, but the guy was a force to be reckoned with.

Most Wings fans called him Floppa because of his diving, but given some perspective now I can kinda understand it with how much he was being waterskiied off of. Not to mention the amount he dove wouldn't even crack the top 20 worst offenders in today's NHL.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Gretzky also played in an era where goalies didnt drop to their knees.

Imagine a sniper like Ovechkin or even J
Kessel played back then both would be closing j
In on 80 goals OV probably closer to 100.

Gretz actually scored 92 goals one year and was close a second time. HE ACTUALLY DID THAT. We are not just fantasizing about what some current player could do.
Sending players back in time just does not work. If Ovy played back then he would be using a piece of junk wooden stick. Would his shot be as good. Of course not. Give Gretz one of todays sticks back then and he might have scored 150.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
What a surprise. We get a nice video of an old superstar well into his retirement showing off immense skill and strength, and instead of enjoying that you get a thread full of people arguing about lists and who is overrated/underrated for a change.

Sometimes I get the feeling that a lot of people here couldn't discuss dinner with their spouse without getting into an argument about where tacos ranks on an all-time list and whether red wine is overrated.

Good post. Was thinking the same thing. It took 6 posts for someone to start crapping all over Forsberg (Congrats Bathcat, you win the first miserable poster award).

Its like people on here can't allow others to have fun if it doesn't involve them. Bathcat thinks Forsberg is overrated, which is cool. Instead of allowing fans of Forsberg to enjoy a video, he felt the need to start arguing and saying how Forsberg is so overrated.

Bathcat, if you drive by a tgi Fridays (a place you don't like) and see someone is having a birthday party do you run in there and start screaming about how tgi Fridays is so overrated and start stomping on the presents? Or do you just allow those people to enjoy their time even though you aren't involved and disagree with the venue? Why can't you just allow people to enjoy themselves if it's something you don't feel a part of?

I seriously think you need to look in a mirror and ask yourself that question because there's probably some personal issues causing that behaviour.

I fully agree, it is like just a couple of posts commenting on topic. All other goes on auto-pilot and could just pick and post random posts from old threads where Forsberg figure.

All I can say that it is pretty sick to one-hand a backhand in the bar twice and calling it before. There is such a thing called raw-talent, I could never do that even with lots of practice nor can most active NHL-ers.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Forsberg is definately one of the most overrated. He wasn't even distinctly the best player on those Avs teams. Sakic and Roy were both better IMO. Forsberg never had that elite finishing ability Sakic had.

That's simply not true. Peter just preferred to set guys up. He said as much himself. Very unselfish player and a true team player. Always wanted what was best for the team. A coaches dream.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

No kidding, even mentioning Forsberg as a top 25 of all time is a joke!

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
No kidding, even mentioning Forsberg as a top 25 of all time is a joke!

The hell are you talking about? Forsberg could take on the scoring jersey any day. He preferred setting guys up for easy goals instead. That myth has to die. Why are you even in a thread commenting on a player you obviously know next to nothing about?

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
That's simply not true. Peter just preferred to set guys up. He said as much himself. Very unselfish player and a true team player. Always wanted what was best for the team. A coaches dream.

Forsbergs nack for scoring goals where obvious playoff time. He is one of few that actually saw his GPG rise in PO:s against the RS. He scored at an 35 goal pace in the PO:s, while he scored at an 29 goal pace in the RS.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Forsbergs nack for scoring goals where obvious playoff time. He is one of few that actually saw his GPG rise in PO:s against the RS. He scored at an 35 goal pace in the PO:s, while he scored at an 29 goal pace in the RS.

Yep, this is taken from another thread.

For those who says Forsberg never scored more then 30 goals..

Forsberg scored when it mattered, in the playoffs.

Forsberg's goal per game in the playoffs puts him ahead of players like...

Sergei Fedorov, Teemu Selanne, Steve Yzerman, Glenn Anderson, Paul Kariya, Pavel Datsyuk, Adam Deadmarsh, Doug Gilmour, Mike Modano, Brendan Shanahan, Bryan Trottier, Bobby Clarke, Alexander Mogilny, Ted Lindsay, Bobby Orr, Peter Stastny, Luc Robitaille, Milan Hejduk, Jason Spezza, Andy Bathgate, Denis Savard, Michel Goulet, Patrick Marleau, Mats Sundin, Pat LaFontaine, Lanny McDonald, Claude Lemieux, Jeremy Roenick, Stan Mikita, Darryl Sittler, Frank Mahovlich, Mike Gartner, John LeClair, Markus Naslund... just to name a few.

For example, Forsberg has scored 12 goals more then Fedorov in the playoffs despite playing in 33 games less.

He scored at that rate even though he played over 150 playoff games aswell. (almost all of them in the dead-puck era.)
Forsberg also has 14 game winning goals in the playoffs. (10th all-time).

I think that is pretty good considering his primary weapon was his extraordinary vision and unique playmaking skills

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The hell are you talking about? Forsberg could take on the scoring jersey any day. He preferred setting guys up for easy goals instead. That myth has to die. Why are you even in a thread commenting on a player you obviously know next to nothing about?

Wow, two 30 goal seasons and the year he had his best points total he was second in team scoring to the teams best player Joe Sakic.

Forsberg was a good player but he wasn't an elite player, I would put him in the same category as Doug Weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad