Peter Forsberg still got it

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Wow, two 30 goal seasons and the year he had his best points total he was second in team scoring to the teams best player Joe Sakic.

Forsberg was a good player but he wasn't an elite player, I would put him in the same category as Doug Weight.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just leave this here.

"He was the most talented guy I ever played with, for just pure raw talent. But more than that, he was a winner and a total gamer, he just wanted to win. He didn't care who scored all the goals or who got all the credit. He just wanted to win, and that's why his teams won as much as they did. We were all very lucky to play with him." "He was such an unselfish player, he loved to setup teammates, he's passing ability was second to none. He created alot of empty nets for alot of players and im one of the big benefactors from him, I got alot of easy goals thanks to Peter. There was nobody in my era there that was as skilled as him and that could play that tough style of hockey and i know when see other friends, he's the one player they mentioned they hated to play against. I got to play with Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and all these guys, but there's not one guy that i could compare Forsberg with, he could beat you up physically or he could beat somebody up and bang them around and then take the puck and make the nicest pass ever, no-one else had that. -- Joe Sakic

"Peter Forsberg is one of the best hockey players that ever played the game, and I actually don't think that anyone has been so good as Peter was during his peak, I've played against him alot, so I should know." -- Vjatjeslav Fetisov

At the HHOF induction, was asked the question on which player he thinks it's the best he ever played against. -- I would probably say that Forsberg is the best player I ever played against" -- Scott Stevens

"Some of the stuff he does is just ridiculous. Jaromir Jagr is big and strong like Forsberg, but Jagr doesn't fight back if you play him tough like Forsberg does. "I think he's the toughest player in the game to play against." -- Derian Hatcher

"For me, an agitator is somebody who controls the emotion of the game," "And Peter definitely controls the emotion of the game for them." "The only thing that stopped Forsberg is that he ran out of gas when they double- and tripleshifted him, and he wasn't able to use his speed, plus his strength," Hitchcock says. "I remember one time he kept the puck in our end for 40, maybe 50 seconds, and we couldn't get the thing away from him. His ability to knock Derian Hatcher on his butt while giving up 40 pounds shows how he can completely control and dominate a game. He's a player with skill and talent who occasionally goes maniacal. Boy, he gets a really strange look in his eyes. It's like the same steely glare that Mark Messier always gets, and you don't want to be anywhere near him." -- Ken Hitchcock

"Obviously one of the best players in the league the last 15 years, a guy who really controlled the play when he was on the ice, and there's only a handful of guy's in the league at any given era that really, actually controlled the play when the're where on the ice, just his combination of skill, strenght, determinition, and a bit of meanness or alot of meanness actually made him one of the best players to play." -- Steve Yzerman

"Peter is the best all-around player in the NHL, bar none. He's a competitor. He's the ultimate warrior. His hands are electric. He's one of the smartest players on the ice, and he knows where everybody is. He always makes the right play, and he even makes the plays you don't think he can make. He's so fast on his feet and so powerful. And he's mean. The guy is so talented, he's disgusting to watch." -- Jeremy Roenick

"If you could be anyone else in hockey, who would it be?" -- "That's easy. Peter Forsberg," (Claude) Lemieux says. "I could still be mean and nasty, but if I had all of the skills that he has, I might have won five or six Stanley Cups by now. "I can only dream of skating like Peter. Either that or buy some rocket-powered skates." "(After seeing) a Michael Jordan or a Wayne Gretzky, you think you've seen it all," Lemieux says, "and then Peter shows you something entirely new. "It's the way he creates space, uses space. It's the way he sees the ice. It's the way he picks up speed even after he picks up the puck. And it's the meanness, the nastiness." -- Claude Lemieux

"He's a coach's dream. The more crucial the time in a game or a series, the tougher he gets. I think sometimes he's able to flip on a switch in his mind and be at a different level than everyone else. " -- Ray Bourque

"Peter's ability to change the game was bar none, he could bring so many elements to a game to change it... My best advice when you're playing against Peter is to go change and let someone else play against him." -- Adam Deadmarsh

"The toughest NHL player you ever played against?" -- Quite easily Peter Forsberg. We have had our battles (he said laughing)... Forsberg was a one-man wrecking crew. He was so skilled and yet so powerful.. the man could simply do it all and at the same time he was hard as nails. He was extremely tough to play against. He was down right nasty." -- Chris Chelios

Some tidbits:

1997 --- Mike Milbury distilled the dilemma to these words: "Who are you going to check?"

Eight hours before a recent game between the New York Islanders and the Colorado Avalanche, Milbury, the Islanders' coach and general manager, pinpointed the predicament in which Colorado's opponents find themselves: If, like most teams, you have one checking line, whom do you try to shut down, Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg? Who is better?

Milbury gives the edge to Forsberg, whom he calls "the best player in the league right now, no question."

1998 --- "He's so strong on his skates. He is the toughest European I've ever seen," -- Mike Keane.

1998: Oilers assistant coach Bob McCammon says that Forsberg has the meanness of Mark Messier, the dirtiness of Ken Linseman, the smarts of Wayne Gretzky and the strength of Bryan Trottier.

1999 --- When Gretzky retired in he was asked who was the best player in the game today (then). Wayne said that there were three or four superstars in the game, but when the reporter pressed him, Gretzky made only one reference: "Forsberg is something special."

2000 --- Michael Farber: Forsberg's brilliance comes from a unique amalgam of skills, styles and attitudes. If you borrowed a dollop of Jaromir Jagr's intimidating strength on the puck, a drop of Paul Kariya's speed, a dash of John LeClair's stevedore toughness, a pinch of Teemu Selanne's finesse, a healthy dose of Michael Peca's body-checking skills and a full measure of Steve Yzerman's commitment to playing all 200 feet of the ice, the product would be a rough approximation of Forsberg.

2004 --- Barry Melrose: "Anyone who knows hockey knows Forsberg is the best player in the world. I visited seven different training camps before this season to interview several players, and 90 percent of them told me without hesitation that Forsberg is the best hockey player in the world. His peers respect him as such and I don't think there is much doubt about it."

2006 --- Sports Illistrated Poll (Based on a survey of 346 NHL players.)
Who is the best player in the NHL?

Peter Forsberg, Flyers C 42%
Jaromir Jagr, Rangers RW 24%
Jarome Iginla, Flames RW 9%
Joe Thornton, Sharks C 5%

For those who says Forsberg never scored more then 30 goals..

Forsberg scored when it mattered, in the playoffs.

Forsberg's goal per game in the playoffs puts him ahead of players like...

Sergei Fedorov, Teemu Selanne, Steve Yzerman, Glenn Anderson, Paul Kariya, Pavel Datsyuk, Adam Deadmarsh, Doug Gilmour, Mike Modano, Brendan Shanahan, Bryan Trottier, Bobby Clarke, Alexander Mogilny, Ted Lindsay, Bobby Orr, Peter Stastny, Luc Robitaille, Milan Hejduk, Jason Spezza, Andy Bathgate, Denis Savard, Michel Goulet, Patrick Marleau, Mats Sundin, Pat LaFontaine, Lanny McDonald, Claude Lemieux, Jeremy Roenick, Stan Mikita, Darryl Sittler, Frank Mahovlich, Mike Gartner, John LeClair, Markus Naslund... just to name a few.

For example, Forsberg has scored 12 goals more then Fedorov in the playoffs despite playing in 33 games less.

He scored at that rate even though he played over 150 playoff games aswell. (almost all of them in the dead-puck era.)
Forsberg also has 14 game winning goals in the playoffs. (10th all-time).

I think that is pretty good considering his primary weapon was his extraordinary vision and unique playmaking skills

To get some perspective on how much heart and love of the game Forsberg had.

Colorado Avalanche players went to bed Wednesday filled with happy thoughts of a Game 7 win and the ongoing pursuit of the Stanley Cup, but they awakened to learn that teammate Peter Forsberg had faced a potentially life-threatening ordeal as they slept.

Forsberg had his spleen removed during an emergency 2-hour surgery at Rose Medical Center at 3:15 a.m. Thursday. Doctors performed the operation after Forsberg complained of crippling pain in the left side of his abdomen a couple hours after the Avs beat Los Angeles, 5-1.

Forsberg had suffered a ruptured or lacerated spleen and was suffering from internal bleeding. The doctors found 1.7 (57 ounces) liters of blood in his stomach(!). The Avs said they do not know what hit - or combination of hits - might have caused the injury.

It ends the season of Colorado's leading postseason scorer, but doctors and team officials are optimistic that Forsberg will play hockey again - maybe as early as next season.

Bob Hartley: "In the morning of the 7th game against the Devils in the Stanley Cup Finals, Forsberg waited for me in my office at 8:30. He literally begged me to allow him to return for the final game."

"Without delay, I communicated with my general manager, Pierre Lacroix, and the team's doctors. But they refused to allow Forsberg to play. According to the doctors, Forsberg could've died on the rink if we allowed him to play that day. It was way too risky but we thanked Forsberg for being such a warrior."

Some other stats

- Enough titles to join the "Triple Gold Club" twice, a feat that only 2 other players in history has accomplished.

- 2 scoring titles in the playoffs despite missing the Finals in both years. (only player in history to do so)

- Selke Trophy runner up (2nd) Other Top 10 finishes - 4th, 8th 10th place in voting.

- 4th All-Time in adjusted points/game (for comparing players how they performed in different era's to their respective peer's.)

- 3rd All-Time in adjusted points/game in the playoffs, (behind only Gretzky & Lemieux)

- All-Time scoring record in a single World Junior Championship tournament (31 points in only 7 games.)

- Ranked as the best player in the world by "The Hockey News" in 2002-2003 and 2003-2004.

- 7th all-time in +/- in the playoffs, behind only players like Gretzky, Kurri, Gregg, Anderson and Huddy (all of them linemates in the 80's Oilers dynasty years) and Lidstrom.

- 1st place in +/- in Avalanche franchise history with a +210 rating (Adam Foote 2nd at +129)

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Wow, two 30 goal seasons and the year he had his best points total he was second in team scoring to the teams best player Joe Sakic.

Forsberg was a good player but he wasn't an elite player, I would put him in the same category as Doug Weight.

Did you read the post about playoffs? A pretty important part of the season? Not that you in Winnipeg seen much of those though.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Ignoring the pointless arguments going on in here...

Enjoyed the video, crazy he still has it.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
NHL All-Time Points Leaders:

and way down at #113 Peter Forsberg!

So?

Going by that logic then I guess you think Ron Francis was better than Mario Lemieux and Larry Murphy was better than Bobby Orr.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
NHL All-Time Points Leaders:

and way down at #113 Peter Forsberg!

Yet despite having seasons constantly derailed by injury, he is 8TH ALL-TIME IN REGULAR SEASON POINTS PER GAME and 9TH ALL-TIME IN PLAYOFF POINTS PER GAME.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Yet despite having seasons constantly derailed by injury, he is 8TH ALL-TIME IN REGULAR SEASON POINTS PER GAME and 9TH ALL-TIME IN PLAYOFF POINTS PER GAME.

He is 4th respectively 3rd All-Time in adjusted points per game in the regular season/playoffs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

HAHAHA!!! :laugh::help:

Hands down the most idiotic comment I've read on these boards. Wasn't an elite player? Same category as Doug Weight? I think you need to educate yourself a little more instead of just looking at regular season goal totals, my lord...

JayGould

Sep 17, 2016
If not for injuries, Forsberg would've been better than Gretsky. Hockey just wasn't as competitive in the 80s as it was in the 90s and 00s.

At least he'd be top three. Lemioux, Gretzsky, Forsberg.

YngwieJ86

Mar 30, 2016
Forsberg was elite and was always a scary moment when he jumped on the ice against Finland.
I mean that is something that's not even negotiable or "matter of opinion".

Lindros and Crosby are/were also elite players and i mean elite in the sense that there is only handful of elite players per year. I hate to compare players from different eras when determining in that kind of nitpicking style who was the better player as you can't win or prove crap usually. I would rather say Crosby is the modern day Forsberg as both have similar skillset and are/were great team players playing winning icehockey.

Was a pleasure of watching Forsberg and Lindros through their best days, amazing guys :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad