Confirmed with Link: Peter DeBoer named new head coach. Gerard Gallant, & Mike Kelly out.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Do they have grit? They have crunch, zip, zazz, a little sass but I don't think they have much grit at forward.

McPhee probably asked him not to bench Miller and Gallant probably told him to go kiss his grits and get him a real Dman.

Even if the dude continues to be snakebitten at least he's not as much of a possession black hole.
First a spider, now a snake?
Penguins' Alex Galchenyuk's rehab from injury delayed by spider bite

I have to ask: why not Laviolette?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't know, Torts didn't have much for him.

Fair point. He wasn't the same player but he still got a lot of middle six center looks. I can't imagine this is bad for him. We have no other centers to put in the top lines and he won't be traded.

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
That's a very curious point. The way Foley runs this organization on the business side is very cut throat. Just ask any season ticket holder. Obviously this move either came from the top or McPhee & McCrimmon started to feel pressure from Foley & are trying to save their own skins. It wouldn't surprise me if Foley has Steinbrenner-esque tendencies when he laid out half a billion dollars to be in this position.

What's up with all the comments about season ticket holders?? Are they screwing them over somehow?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I feel like Gallant is getting kind of overrated on these boards. Besides one great season, he hasnt really done much. One great season with 2 mediocre ones.

As a Sens fan, I have witnessed a couple of coaches have good seasons and then fall flat. Paul Maclean was thought to be a great coach, but look where he is now. I remember Cameron and his miracle run with the Sens. I also remember Boucher and what he did with the team in their first season.

Was it a mistake to fire him? Maybe. But do I think he is the coach that these boards make him out to be? Absolutely not. I mean I have seen people call him a top 5 coach.

I personally would have done it in the offseason and interviewed many different coaches instead of just hiring Deboer though.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Gallant is awful at making adjustments quickly. The caps changed their game plan in game 2 and then tore vgk a new butthole. Gallant was going to stick with what got them there and not adjust to what the caps were doing from game 2 on.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
What's up with all the comments about season ticket holders?? Are they screwing them over somehow?

The atmosphere is team foley everywhere. Everywhere you go in the arena there's a Foley business trying to make money like his wine business. This is my last year of opening season ticket prices. Foley has taken advantage of new fans to spend money here and there and it's become a huge money grab that can come off cheesy because his name is everywhere. I don't know the guy, but he must have a huge ego. But its his team and he made the money to buy the team so he calls the shots. I doubt that other arenas do even 10% of the Foleypalooza that one experiences at tmobile.

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
The atmosphere is team foley everywhere. Everywhere you go in the arena there's a Foley business trying to make money like his wine business. This is my last year of opening season ticket prices. Foley has taken advantage of new fans to spend money here and there and it's become a huge money grab that can come off cheesy because his name is everywhere. I don't know the guy, but he must have a huge ego. But its his team and he made the money to buy the team so he calls the shots. I doubt that other arenas do even 10% of the Foleypalooza that one experiences at tmobile.
I agree. They don't.
From the shameless pimping of Foley products to the ridiculous pre-game helicopter special ops flyer with ego-maniac William at the controls (which was mercifully terminated), this entire operation has been akin to the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones.

Everything that was so magical about this franchise is slowly (no, maybe quickly) losing its luster. The last two days have (in my opinion) been catastrophic for the organization.

First, I predicted that if the Knights had a horrid road trip, Gallant would be on the hot seat. I am absolutely STUNNED that he was fired on a 4-game losing streak. I don't disagree that the players have woefully underperformed, and Gallant was certainly not doing a great job lately, but wow...just wow.

Second, the continued shameless fleecing of the season ticket holder was in full affect this week. A 12.5% bump to next season's ticket prices, that were already up 30% in the first two years. Disgusting...
Over 20 NHL teams have actually LOWERED their ticket prices in the last 2 years.

We will not be renewing our season tickets, as I can buy secondary tickets at the last minute for less than I would be paying for a full season, of which 30% of the games I can't attend for one reason or the other.

My loyalty to this franchise is in serious jeopardy.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I’m tired of the comment that the team is 3 points out of 1st. If we were 3 points behind the Blues (67 points), Capitals (67), or Bruins (66 points) then Gallant would still have a job. Instead, we are 3 points behind the Coyotes (57 points). We are WAY behind the other first place teams.

Just think it’s a misleading comment because it seems to suggest the team has 63 or 64 points. Our 54 points is good enough for 4th or 5th place in literally every single division in the league.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

Anybody buying tickets gets to deal with the outrageous increase in prices every year and ridiculous fees added on top of them like the stadium maintenance fee for a brand new stadium.

This and the 4 game losing streak is why I’m much more frustrated than usual lately. Although I did expect the increase in ticket prices.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I’m tired of the comment that the team is 3 points out of 1st. If we were 3 points behind the Blues (67 points), Capitals (67), or Bruins (66 points) then Gallant would still have a job. Instead, we are 3 points behind the Coyotes (57 points). We are WAY behind the other first place teams.

Just think it’s a misleading comment because it seems to suggest the team has 63 or 64 points. Our 54 points is good enough for 4th or 5th place in literally every single division in the league.

Either way they'll have no one to blame but themselves in the last month of the season as they play Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Arizona and Winnipeg twice.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Tell me that when I will wake up in the morning, this was all be some sort of weird joke or a strange THC-induced nightmare.

gwilddrive.gif

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I think one of the issues with this board now is that it isn't attached to anything like it used to be when Hockey's Future was its own website. Most of the people here were hockey fans before Vegas existed and have switched or added a team. I don't know that most new fans can find this place that easily.

That's true and nobody better tell those Facebook NHL fan groups about this place. That place is toxic

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
McCrimmon took over as GM.

I think a lot of it has to do with an impatient owner seeing all these coaches get canned, and maybe seeing some not-so-experienced writers criticizing everything the coach does...

Still, pretty gutless of the McGM to fire his coach without making another trade to help him out.

Seems to me they wanted to fire the coach before making the trade. Not much doubt in my mind a trade is coming as well as I doubt they make a move like this only to stand pat at the deadline.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I am really starting to think the roster construction was supposed to be "tailored" to Gallant's style. They didn't want another Tatar mistake, not to mention Vadim Shipachyov. When it came down to it, guys like Eakin stayed and others like Gusev and Tatar were gone. Too much money on bottom six forwards, nothing available for defensive needs. This is a management problem, but I could see GMKM stewing on having second thoughts on trades made due to the reason he might have made them.

Reactions: Emrasie

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I am really starting to think the roster construction was supposed to be "tailored" to Gallant's style. They didn't want another Tatar mistake, not to mention Vadim Shipachyov. When it came down to it, guys like Eakin stayed and others like Gusev and Tatar were gone. Too much money on bottom six forwards, nothing available for defensive needs. This is a management problem, but I could see GMKM stewing on having second thoughts on trades made due to the reason he might have made them.

I think simple answer would be trade Eakin and keep Haula and Bellemare.

Tougher answer could be Stone messed their plans, he was too good to not trade for, and they no longer had money that could help the RHD we needed. They rolled as much as they could with it and they need to look at trades now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad