Confirmed with Link: Peter DeBoer named new head coach. Gerard Gallant, & Mike Kelly out.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. Turk speaks to LeBrun. Nothing earth shattering or breaking. No team has called. Still has 1+ seasons left. Just spent time with grandkids.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Paywall. Turk speaks to LeBrun. Nothing earth shattering or breaking. No team has called. Still has 1+ seasons left. Just spent time with grandkids.

There was something that I rolled my eyes at, when he said he thought we were having a good season. It was flashbacks of the press conferences of him saying they played well when they lost yet again.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So what is everyones opinion on DeBoer?

I am holding judgment until next season.

I know what his current record is with the Knights, but i have seen this before with teams and new coaches.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So what is everyones opinion on DeBoer?

I am holding judgment until next season.

I know what his current record is with the Knights, but i have seen this before with teams and new coaches.
I think at the very least he understands Gallant brand VGK hockey about as much as Gallant forgot about it. A lot of the problems I bitched about on a nightly basis are more or less gone. Still some problems but the team has seen a marked improvement since the hiring. Remains to be seen if he can sustain this.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I think you nailed it- sustaining this level will be difficult. The way they have been preventing teams from scoring chances seems above their heads a bit. That, and the shot blocking. Does this add up to injuries down the stretch? Or do they just get used to playing with multiple puck-shaped contusions?

Reactions: HanSolo

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think PDB has done even better with them than I suspected so far. I'm sure it will be like all other stops, he runs good for 3-4 years, knows how to use veterans to optimal performance, but then they wear out and its time for a refresh and a new coach. He's not a guy to coach a younger team as he's rarely comfortable with rookies and will always want a veteran just in case. He worked well with Doug Wilson for this reason and I suspect he will work well with the GMGM better than GMKM. Really concerned about what this means for getting some youth infusion next two seasons, but for this year and probably next it will be better. Not that Gallant wasn't fond of veterans too, but PDB demands accountability to his systems and so far its been working. As for the special teams, that's on him because he brought the one coach along that Sharks fans hated with a passion and so far it seems justified.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think PDB has done even better with them than I suspected so far. I'm sure it will be like all other stops, he runs good for 3-4 years, knows how to use veterans to optimal performance, but then they wear out and its time for a refresh and a new coach. He's not a guy to coach a younger team as he's rarely comfortable with rookies and will always want a veteran just in case. He worked well with Doug Wilson for this reason and I suspect he will work well with the GMGM better than GMKM. Really concerned about what this means for getting some youth infusion next two seasons, but for this year and probably next it will be better. Not that Gallant wasn't fond of veterans too, but PDB demands accountability to his systems and so far its been working. As for the special teams, that's on him because he brought the one coach along that Sharks fans hated with a passion and so far it seems justified.

He seems to be doing fine utilizing Nick Roy and Whitecloud. We weren't given a fair chance to see how he works with a younger Glass.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Uh...he brought in Whitecloud and moved Roy up to the top six. Quinney got a few games. He doesn't seem to be averse to playing rookies here.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Credit where it's due: PDB has addressed the right things(aside from the PK) and has not gotten in the way of himself trying to put 'his stamp' on the team.

As much as things changed from Jan-March, most things have remained the same since year 1 and the trolley is back on the track. That said, when you make a move of this magnitude results are the only thing that will matter: it's Cup or bust.

Of course adding a couple of good defensemen and a top 10 goaltender don't hurt neither.

Edit: assuming the Cup gets handed out this year, that is.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Credit where it's due: PDB has addressed the right things(aside from the PK) and has not gotten in the way of himself trying to put 'his stamp' on the team.

As much as things changed from Jan-March, most things have remained the same since year 1 and the trolley is back on the track. That said, when you make a move of this magnitude results are the only thing that will matter: it's Cup or bust.

Of course adding a couple of good defensemen and a top 10 goaltender don't hurt neither.

Big assumption

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

If the season gets cancelled that counts against Pete right? I mean no season got cancelled under Turk :sarcasm::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: BattleBorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->