TSN: Peter Chiarelli has been fired by the Oilers. Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is going to be sort of random order.

Basically that Hitch and McDavid will be evaluating all the players over the break as to who stays and goes. Spooner was waived so he can play over the break, and Hitch can decide if he has a place on the team after the break. Players were called out about who’s not playing hard enough, and Manning was specifically mentioned. Hitch went above Chia and said that he needs players that will compete, and management immediately needs to go get players who will compete. Also, he’s just going to start benching anyone who isn’t competing.
Manning being named specifically is pretty damning. That trade made no sense on any level. Even though Chiarelli tried downplaying his history with McDavid he still traded the guys best friend for him. Now we’re finding out the guys in the room are already calling him out? Good god, what a mess.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Manning being named specifically is pretty damning. That trade made no sense on any level. Even though Chiarelli tried downplaying his history with McDavid he still traded the guys best friend for him. Now we’re finding out the guys in the room are already calling him out? Good god, what a mess.

It was a stupid trade from the get-go. Chia should've been canned the moment he brought up that trade with the rest of management, or as soon as they got wind of it. It was obviously a bad trade made out of desperation, the kind that responsible management shouldn't allow to happen.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I know enough people with premium seats that were not renewing and the conversations they were having with the Oilers. I know the questions I was asked in the survey I recently received.

Don’t kid yourself. This was as much a business decision as a performance decision.
Haven’t we learned by now that business decisions drive everything this organization does? Chiarelli and Mclellan both should have been fired last April. Nobody thought there was a chance both of them were surviving this season before it started yet the organization operated as business as usual. It wasn’t until the product on the ice started affecting the bottom line that changes were made. That’s how the team has operated since Katz bought it. The teams priority isn’t building a winning team, if that happens someday then that’s great but it’s hard building a winner. The priority is figuring out ways to keep the customer interested enough to keep coming back.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
This is just my guess but I think Duane Sutter, Bob Greene, and Scott Howson are done here too. They just can't fire everyone right now because they'd have basically no staff for the rest of the year.

Mac T will lose his job too but reassigned to being a scout because he's Katz' buddy. Keith Gretzky will stay as head of scouting.

New GM and POHO will be two different people.
One would hope.
New set of pro scouts.
An analytics department would be nice too.

Reactions: Del Preston

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I’m a day late here as I’m just catching up on this thread. Theres been so much to read in the last 36 hours.

On the surface, it sounds like it was a classy move for Nicholson to fire Chiarelli during the intermission to allow him enough time to get out of the building. I still don’t see why he needed to do it that way. He says the decision to fire him was already made before the game and that the Detroit game had no impact. Why not have just done it earlier in the day before the building filled up? Not classy at all, really. I didn’t think Nicholson had a flair for the dramatic but maybe he does.

Not many execs in any sport get fired mid-game. Maybe Nicholson made him watch the horror show he's put together one last time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not many execs in any sport get fired mid-game. Maybe Nicholson made him watch the horror show he's put together one last time.
jk aside Chia was fired mid game to allow him to exit the facility as he saw fit. Why didn't they do it between games? To me that speaks to basic laziness of the org and unwillingness to make any extra effort. As in we're all here for the game, its convenient for us, so well do it then. I think its more likely everybody had the opportunity to be involved and maybe even get a dig in or a last glare good bye.

Something about it speaks to unpleasantry. There was no reason not to do this on a non game day or during the ASG. None. They did it this way so they could all get a peak at it like people watching a fatal fire.

Just because I think Chia is a useless peckerhead that harmed this team, the ones that fired him were culpable for him being here in the first place. But I bet they found some gleeful Schadenfreude in it just the same.

Reactions: McFuhryous

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because I don't think it's better to have a capped team with significant roster needs and little in the way of moveable assets than a team with future cap issues, significant roster needs and a bucket of assets to work with.

And yeah, those opportunities are part of the discussion whether you like it or not. Why? Because they have a direct bearing on the current situation. Man, if you thought chiarelli was under the microscope the new guy is going to have it much worse.
The significant short-term roster needs you seem to think we need are being massively overstated. We're not in a situation where we're robbing Peter to pay Paul like we were in 2015.

And again, the immediate cap situations were very similar in the two instances. Both had dud contracts bogging up the roster. The difference was that the current scenario doesn't have a $20m+ cloud of inflation looming over it.

And I'm scratching my head as to why you seem to think we had a 'bucket' of assets then and nothing now. The only pieces of value we had were the roster players we ended up trading. $6m wingers in an era when wingers were the least valued positional players on the market. The only other 'bucket' assets were pissed away in week one in the crippling Reinhart deal.

And no, the 'opportunies' don't fall into the parameters of the discussion at all. We not talking about 'coulda shoulda'--we're talking about the literal job at hand. I know it's hard, but I'm looking at the Edmonton Oilers--and not the Edmonton Chiarellis--and assessing what their strengths, weaknesses, needs and challenges are in both instances. Things are much better today than they were then, which is why the organizational turnover should be relatively painless.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is just my guess but I think Duane Sutter, Bob Greene, and Scott Howson are done here too. They just can't fire everyone right now because they'd have basically no staff for the rest of the year.

Mac T will lose his job too but reassigned to being a scout because he's Katz' buddy. Keith Gretzky will stay as head of scouting.

New GM and POHO will be two different people.
I think if Keith Gretzky isn't considered for the job, he'll probably move onto another organization just like Todd Nelson did when we hired MacLellan.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
jk aside Chia was fired mid game to allow him to exit the facility as he saw fit. Why didn't they do it between games? To me that speaks to basic laziness of the org and unwillingness to make any extra effort. As in we're all here for the game, its convenient for us, so well do it then. I think its more likely everybody had the opportunity to be involved and maybe even get a dig in or a last glare good bye.

Something about it speaks to unpleasantry. There was no reason not to do this on a non game day or during the ASG. None. They did it this way so they could all get a peak at it like people watching a fatal fire.

Just because I think Chia is a useless peckerhead that harmed this team, the ones that fired him were culpable for him being here in the first place. But I bet they found some gleeful Schadenfreude in it just the same.

I keep coming back to Roenick going off on the Oilers during the intermission on US national tv. The org would never admit it, but did that expedite things, especially if Katz happened to see Roenick publicly humiliate the Oilers the way he did? Roenick goes off, Chiarelli fired 10 minutes later.

Hmmmm.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I keep coming back to Roenick going off on the Oilers during the intermission on US national tv. The org would never admit it, but did that expedite things, especially if Katz happened to see Roenick publicly humiliate the Oilers the way he did? Roenick goes off, Chiarelli fired 10 minutes later.

Hmmmm.

Chiarelli was fired in the same intermission and as per bob the decision was already made before the game They just did it at that time. Theres no connection in a causal relationship to independent events that happen separately at the same time. Moreso theres no way that the Roenick comments were a precurser reagent for the Chiarelli firing decision which PRECEDED the Roenick comments. Right?

As if Katz would even sink to watching Roenicks comments. I doubt Katz pays that much attention honestly and if he did it would be to more credible commentators. Not clowns.

Roenick is an asshat as a constant. This wasn't even directed at the oilers as it wasn't an Oilers telecast. It was not even aired in this market as per CRTC regulation and NHL television contracts.

In contrast, Bieksa, who outed the the Oilers PP last season in an Oilers telecast gets more of my respect. Because that's not merely heckling. That's somebody making a point to say it directly to the Edmonton audience.

Roenick was just being himself, a troll. He wasn't saying anything to benefit. He was saying it to sidewipe the org to an external audience. He's a douchebag, always was.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
This is going to be sort of random order.

Basically that Hitch and McDavid will be evaluating all the players over the break as to who stays and goes. Spooner was waived so he can play over the break, and Hitch can decide if he has a place on the team after the break. Players were called out about who’s not playing hard enough, and Manning was specifically mentioned. Hitch went above Chia and said that he needs players that will compete, and management immediately needs to go get players who will compete. Also, he’s just going to start benching anyone who isn’t competing.

Where did you hear this. Is there a reference who's publishing this?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Not sure if mentioned, but Stauffer (at the start of his show) said he can say with 100% confidence the Oilers contacted Cliff Fletcher to I believe gauge his interest if the Oilers needed to make a move. Moot point as Philly scooped him up, but sounds like Peter was on pretty thin ice to start.

Very disturbing. We need to build a team to compete in 2020 not 1994.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The significant short-term roster needs you seem to think we need are being massively overstated. We're not in a situation where we're robbing Peter to pay Paul like we were in 2015.

Overstated based on what? Have you seen this team play?

And again, the immediate cap situations were very similar in the two instances. Both had dud contracts bogging up the roster. The difference was that the current scenario doesn't have a $20m+ cloud of inflation looming over it.

That team didn't have any stinker long term deals bogging it down. This one does. About $20M worth, by my rough count. Some of that will go away in time, but as someone once told me "clearing cap space is hard."

And I'm scratching my head as to why you seem to think we had a 'bucket' of assets then and nothing now. The only pieces of value we had were the roster players we ended up trading. $6m wingers in an era when wingers were the least valued positional players on the market. The only other 'bucket' assets were pissed away in week one in the crippling Reinhart deal.

And now we don't even have any roster players worth damn to trade. Just a few prospects, the most notable being the ones the org has already tanked.

And no, the 'opportunies' don't fall into the parameters of the discussion at all. We not talking about 'coulda shoulda'--we're talking about the literal job at hand.

"The job at hand" included making decisions on existing assets to build a team around McDavid. They chose...poorly.

I know it's hard, but I'm looking at the Edmonton Oilers--and not the Edmonton Chiarellis--and assessing what their strengths, weaknesses, needs and challenges are in both instances. Things are much better today than they were then, which is why the organizational turnover should be relatively painless

The biggest advantage this team has over that team is Connor McDavid. If they don't figure their **** out and get things pointed in the right direction, they might not even have that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Chiarelli was fired in the same intermission and as per bob the decision was already made before the game They just did it at that time. Theres no connection in a causal relationship to independent events that happen separately at the same time. Moreso theres no way that the Roenick comments were a precurser reagent for the Chiarelli firing decision which PRECEDED the Roenick comments. Right?

As if Katz would even sink to watching Roenicks comments. I doubt Katz pays that much attention honestly and if he did it would be to more credible commentators. Not clowns.

Roenick is an asshat as a constant. This wasn't even directed at the oilers as it wasn't an Oilers telecast. It was not even aired in this market as per CRTC regulation and NHL television contracts.

In contrast, Bieksa, who outed the the Oilers PP last season in an Oilers telecast gets more of my respect. Because that's not merely heckling. That's somebody making a point to say it directly to the Edmonton audience.

Roenick was just being himself, a troll. He wasn't saying anything to benefit. He was saying it to sidewipe the org to an external audience. He's a *****ebag, always was.

See, and I think what Roenick said was bang on and I'm certain it was a US national televised game on NBC, but I could be wrong. Roenick is blunt and calls a spade a spade...with dramatic flair sometimes-lol. As you said, I also heard Nicholson say the decision was made to fire him before the game. It just doesn't add up they'd do it after 40 minutes of play. After the game, when the public has left the building and just the cleaners, security staff, execs and whoever else are left in the building, no one would have been wiser to see Chiarelli leave later at night. They still could have delivered the news and let him leave on his own time.

Oh well, who knows...I just found the timing of everything so odd.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad