TSN: Peter Chiarelli has been fired by the Oilers. Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Zero chance they were hands off. Read their job descriptions on the Oilers website. It was part of their jobs to be involved with Chiarelli's decision making. For sure Chiarelli made the final call, but they were involved as it was their jobs to be involved.

Okay, well they're one of the teams that has a committee advising the GM, which I think is a bad idea no matter who is in the group. Chiarelli is a pushover.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Personally I find it rather hilarious that "Director of Salary Cap Management" is even a real title.

BILL SCOTT

Director, Salary Cap Management & Assistant to the President, Hockey Operations

Bill Scott, 37, enters his fifth season with the Oilers and his third season as the team's Director of Salary Cap Management and Assistant to the President of Hockey Operations. Scott previously served as the club's Assistant General Manager for two seasons.
The native of Unionville, Ontario was promoted to the Oilers on April 21, 2014, after serving as General Manager of the Oklahoma City Barons since 2010. He played a key role in the Barons reaching the Calder Cup playoffs in all four of his seasons as General Manager.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Okay, well they're one of the teams that has a committee advising the GM, which I think is a bad idea no matter who is in the group. Chiarelli is a pushover.

Seems like a common theme, they hired pushover coaches and GM's and then have a perfect fall guy when things fall apart. I don't think they are fooling anyone anymore. There is a reason someone like Torts was never even considered here. He would march into their office and tell them to go f*** themselves and let him do his job.

Todd was a total wimp, so was Eakins, Likewise Tambellini. The guys that stood up to managment were let go, Renney got fired for trying not to rush the young players and Krueger got skyped because he had his own ideas.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What I'm gleaning is those guys were hands-off in Chiarelli's tenure until part-way through this season when his incompetence was too glaring to let him continue with full autonomy. If you want those guys gone, fine.
I agree they probably shouldn't be deciding the new GM.
I don't understand how people can honestly believe that these guys were hands off on the Reinhart deal. That thing was signed, sealed and delivered knowing our track record with ex-Oil Kings.

If they were 'hands off', what are they still doing here?

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Zero chance they were hands off. Read their job descriptions on the Oilers website. It was part of their jobs to be involved with Chiarelli's decision making. For sure Chiarelli made the final call, but they were involved as it was their jobs to be involved.
Totally agree. The Reinhart trade reeks of OBC influence.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah the main job remains the same as it was in 2015, surrounding what is a decent core with proper support.
If there's one thing I did not mind from the Nicholson presser, it was his comment on not mortgaging the future for a quick fix and over-ripening prospects.

Yeah it sounds simple on paper, but the new GM has a harder row to hoe than Chia did: there';s less talent on the roster and less cap space to make improvements. You could argue there's better prospects in the pipeline, but that's TBD IMO.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What I'm gleaning is those guys were hands-off in Chiarelli's tenure until part-way through this season when his incompetence was too glaring to let him continue with full autonomy. If you want those guys gone, fine.
I agree they probably shouldn't be deciding the new GM.
so why not fire him the second they lose confidence in him?

Reactions: oil4life97

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The cap is pretty complicated. I don’t have have a problem with them paying someone full time to know everything there is to know about it.

I don't disagree. However -- It would be nice if the Oilers actually demonstrated the ability to manage the cap, something we clearly haven't demonstrated since Scott took the job. This tells me he is either incompetent in the role or his advice is completely being ignored.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't understand how people can honestly believe that these guys were hands off on the Reinhart deal. That thing was signed, sealed and delivered knowing our track record with ex-Oil Kings.

By hands-off I meant they weren't ordering Chiarelli to pick up the phone. But you're right, knowing Chiarelli, if it's a committee, the committee basically makes his decisions for him.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

Yeah i find it hard to believe that Chiarelli during his first few months on the job had anything to do with that debacle. This is one i am willing to defend him on, he stupidly agreed to the deal based on the advice of the bozos in the front office. He was dumb to actually listen but i doubt any other GM with balls will come in and agree to take a risk on a failed prospect.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't disagree. However -- It would be nice if the Oilers actually demonstrated the ability to manage the cap, something we clearly haven't demonstrated since Scott took the job. This tells me he is either incompetent in the role or his advice is completely being ignored.
I doubt that’s his job. His job is to advise to the GM on what is or is not against the rules. Do calculations for LTIR etc. It’s on the manager to manage still.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah it sounds simple on paper, but the new GM has a harder row to hoe than Chia did: there';s less talent on the roster and less cap space to make improvements. You could argue there's better prospects in the pipeline, but that's TBD IMO.

If you look at what we had 4 years ago in the pipeline to today, I think its a fair assessment to believe we have better prospects.
The challenge is going to be creating cap space fast, without giving up key futures. There will be pressure from above for a fast turnaround given our absolute panic to try and squeak into a WC spot this year (only to get probably shithammered by the Flames...ugh)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I doubt that’s his job. His job is to advise to the GM on what is or is not against the rules. Do calculations for LTIR etc. It’s on the manager to manage still.

For sure its his job. They need someone to project the cap implications, do the hard math. That is exactly what the job is. Listen to interviews of others who hold the same role in other organizations. That is literally the job (the math and projections along with knowing the rules)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This just isn't accurate. The team in 2015-16 had a rapidly inflating cap situation, which this team simply does not have. There were also a number of significant concerns that the 2015-16 roster had considering they were a team that finished 20 games under Bettman 0.500 in the previous season. But those have been well-documented here.

The current iteration of this team requires a few tweaks. It requires some wing depth in the top six, a third line center and some of their prospects to begin contributing at the NHL level. Over the short-term that may be difficult to tackle head on considering their current short-term cap situation, but the team isn't in a position where it's desperate to address a particular role. Nor are they limited in the number of tradeable assets they have to potentially address their organizational needs.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If you look at what we had 4 years ago in the pipeline to today, I think its a fair assessment to believe we have better prospects.

Well, anything is better than the nothing we had then. But I'm not sold it's a great collection as yet. I see a real lack of high-end skill.

The challenge is going to be creating cap space fast, without giving up key futures. There will be pressure from above for a fast turnaround given our absolute panic to try and squeak into a WC spot this year (only to get probably ****hammered by the Flames...ugh)

I hope the firing of Chia has calmed the panic a bit, but yeah that's a real danger. I think the cap space issue will sort itself out in time, it's really a matter of not taking on any more big money unless it's for a real difference maker.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This just isn't accurate. The team in 2015-16 had a rapidly inflating cap situation, which this team simply does not have.

That team was 2-3 years from a cap crunch and had plenty of room to absorb the money. Your claim that it was under significant ca pressure doesn't hold water.

There were also a number of significant concerns that the 2015-16 roster had considering they were a team that finished 20 games under Bettman 0.500 in the previous season. But those have been well-documented here.

Yes they were wrecked by injuries, but still showed a y-o-y improvement (cutting their GD by 43 goals, improving by 7 wins). If you don't think a full year of McDavid, a healthy Klefbom and a few other tweaks wouldn't have seen that trend continue, you're nuts.

The current iteration of this team requires a few tweaks. It requires some wing depth in the top six, a third line center and some of their prospects to begin contributing at the NHL level. Over the short-term that may be difficult to tackle head on considering their current short-term cap situation, but the team isn't in a position where it's desperate to address a particular role. Nor are they limited in the number of tradeable assets they have to potentially address their organizational needs.

They need to clear a lot of cap space. They need to add two top six wingers and overhaul the bottom six (Kharia is about the only piece there worth keeping). Some of those pieces will hopefully come from the prospect pool, or through some astute shopping in the bargain bin. The need for another top four D man is still pronounced given Klef's fragility, Nurse' tire-spinning and the unlikelihood of Sekera returning to form. Again, Jones, Bouchard or Bear could be one of the answers there. Bottom line, though, is these aren't "tweaks" and we're probably a full season away from getting the ship pointed in the right direction.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Friedman "i'm not buying the “old Oilers are interfering” narrative. Oh, they’ve got opinions, but how much did they really stand in the way of anything Edmonton did or didn’t do the past four seasons? I’m not convinced it happened often, if at all.

Reactions: Tekneek

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well, anything is better than the nothing we had then. But I'm not sold it's a great collection as yet. I see a real lack of high-end skill.

Agree with the lack of high end skill. We have some pieces that may turn out to be complementary scorers along with some hopefully future solid 3/4 liners. 4 years ago we had Khaira who was a long shot and Klefbom had pretty much graduated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad