Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Good GM for drafting. Not very good at trading or handing out contracts. Have to take the good with the bad

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's not a terrible GM, but he's not exactly the best either. Leaves a lot to be desired. If the season doesn't turn around, he will likely have to take the fall.

I would have interest in Nashville's assistant GM Fenton. If the team currently can't cut it someone else should be in charge to retooling it so it can be, so Chia needs to go in that case.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don't want to rip on him, because he's a good GM. Or should I say, he was. I'm not sure his style works anymore in the league. He's good at finding guys like Letestu, Kassian, and Maroon, but we need more speed now in the league, and that's just not his specialty.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Well I give up, this whole team is complete shit. We need to blow it up and start over. This team is missing 2 top D men, and 4 top wingers.

I can't see how we even get 20 wins from this sad sack of shit right now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We're not missing on D. We are missing wingers, however.

We are certainly missing on D. We were missing on D when everyone was healthy last year. The weird thing is Chiarelli acknowledged this during the end of season presser post playoffs that the defense wasn't good enough to win a cup. It's bizarre he made absolutely no effort to improve the d-core, or even plug the massive hole that Sekera was going to leave.

Seriously, who on the backend is a consistent offensive threat? Who can consistently hit a forward in stride with a pass?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We are certainly missing on D. We were missing on D when everyone was healthy last year. The weird thing is Chiarelli acknowledged this during the end of season presser post playoffs that the defense wasn't good enough to win a cup. It's bizarre he made absolutely no effort to improve the d-core, or even plug the massive hole that Sekera was going to leave.

Seriously, who on the backend is a consistent offensive threat? Who can consistently hit a forward in stride with a pass?
Nobody. The inactivity during the off-season was completely baffling and the more I watch the more I lean towards "indefensible".

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't want to rip on him, because he's a good GM. Or should I say, he was. I'm not sure his style works anymore in the league. He's good at finding guys like Letestu, Kassian, and Maroon, but we need more speed now in the league, and that's just not his specialty.
Kassian is probably the 2nd fastest forward on the team.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
we had more points (103) in almost 30 years with Chia as GM
sorry if I'm willing to give him a chance
Chia had a lot to work with. The McDavid factor, Schultz, Hall, Yak, Ebs, 2015 1st and 2nd. The list goes on. If he can't build a winning team than he should get canned. I've been saying this. The Reinhart trade did the Oilers more damage than people are willing to admit.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Chia had a lot to work with. The McDavid factor, Schultz, Hall, Yak, Ebs, 2015 1st and 2nd. The list goes on. If he can't build a winning team than he should get canned. I've been saying this. The Reinhart trade did the Oilers more damage than people are willing to admit.
so did MacT...his team finished bottom 5 every year
103 points doesn't mean **** if you don't even make the playoffs the next year.
yes it does

it means you've built a pretty darn good team...and there's 74 games to go, throw in the towel all you want
I won't

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If this team misses the playoffs this year then that completely wipes out the previous season. This team is supposed to be cotending for a Cup and they don't even look like a freakin playoff team.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
so did MacT...his team finished bottom 5 every year

yes it does

it means you've built a pretty darn good team...and there's 74 games to go, throw in the towel all you want
I won't
MacT wasn't good to begin with. That's was a given.

Good teams don't miss the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad