NFL: Pete Carroll out as Seahawks head coach, stays on as an advisor

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm sure they loved Stroud, but all QB's taken in Rd 1 last year were off the board by pick 5. Maybe Houston, CAR and Indy were dead set on making their picks and there was no deal to be made.
Meant that they were more ready than Carolina to trade up and be solid around the QB.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm sure they loved Stroud, but all QB's taken in Rd 1 last year were off the board by pick 5. Maybe Houston, CAR and Indy were dead set on making their picks and there was no deal to be made.

They would've had to move up to 3 to pick Richardson. CAR and HOU were never moving 1 or 2.

HOU paid up with a big gamble by moving their 2024 first to snag Anderson (and ironically guaranteeing AR would land in the division, too). Guessing SEA rightfully wouldn't top the HOU offer for 3rd.

Reactions: Voight

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Crazy.. Did making the playoffs last year give the ownership unrealistic goals? Many thought that this team was cooked after the Russ trade and were going to enter into a rebuild ( or retool) . Instead they made the playoffs and almost did it again this year. Sure they had a collapse this year but overall I think that Pete has done a tremendous job over these past 2 seasons.....The Hawks are on the right path now .They need a long term QB though. Gotta find a way to address that soon.
They underachieved this year and despite throwing tons of resources at it (and in my opinion still have good tackles and RB's) we got our arse kicked in the trenches which has been an issue for years. When your identity is solid defence and running game and you can't do either and can't seem to fix it then your in trouble. Biggest insult is being called soft and that's exactly what the seahawks were this year. I also get the vibe Pete was fine was Geno and Lock which ownership maybe don't agree with.

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They underachieved this year and despite throwing tons of resources at it (and in my opinion still have good tackles and RB's) we got our arse kicked in the trenches which has been an issue for years. When your identity is solid defence and running game and you can't do either and can't seem to fix it then your in trouble. Biggest insult is being called soft and that's exactly what the seahawks were this year. I also get the vibe Pete was fine was Geno and Lock which ownership maybe don't agree with.
Bad stat for Pete was that Seattle ran both the fewest Offensive plays and played the most Defensive snaps.

Meaning Pete's philosophy of run the play and play great defence was not working. Not possessing the ball enough to wear down the opposition and thus resting the D, plus the D not able to get off the field.

Cliff Hurt, had like 6 games where the Defence only forced the opposition to punt 1 or 0 times in his tenure. Prior to him, under Carroll's defence for over a decade let that happen to them fewer times.

Probably also didn't help Pete that Adams his target, has been hurt and is on a big contract and they gave up like pick 9 for him in 2022. (1sta nd 3rd were fine, but that extra 1st hurt).

Similar to BB, Pete had a lot of power and the major moves he made didn't work.

Harvin, barely 2 years.
Graham, killed the identity of the team since Graham could not block and Russ didn't work the middle.
A couple of trade downs in the draft to pass on CB Alexander to gain an extra 3rd (since they dealt for S. Richardson DT and Brown OT) so wanted a pick back. Only to draft Penny over Chubb (who fit Seattle's pound the rock style better). And trading back to take McDowell, vs Ramczyk a RT who has made the Pro Bowl and fill a need. None of the extra picks they got made any impact. And the Adams trade.

Last edited:

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Bad stat for Pete was that Seattle ran both the fewest Offensive plays and played the most Defensive snaps.

Meaning Pete's philosophy of run the play and play great defence was not working. Not possessing the ball enough to wear down the opposition and thus resting the D, plus the D not able to get off the field.

Cliff Hurt, had like 6 games where the Defence only forced the opposition to punt 1 or 0 times in his tenure. Prior to him, under Carroll's defence for over a decade let that happen to them fewer times.
I also think part of the problem was losing offensive identity. I get why 'Let russ cook' happened. When we lost to the cowboys in 2019 play offs we were too stubborn with the run in a winnable game and should have opened it up earlier when Wilson looked great. People wanted to see what Wilson could do and we went from run first to letting Russ cook. Worked well for half a season then got badly exposed. Since then they lost their identity and in some ways tried to be Rams light with Waldron.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Well, either way more change is in store. The entire coaching staff has been given leave to seek other work, and there are some very (unjustifiably) expensive players who need to get moved on if possible.

Schneider is going to be a very busy fella over the next year.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Well, either way more change is in store. The entire coaching staff has been given leave to seek other work, and there are some very (unjustifiably) expensive players who need to get moved on if possible.

Jamaal Adams is the first one to go, guy is always injured and makes way too much money for little production.

Reactions: sigma six

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jamaal Adams is the first one to go, guy is always injured and makes way too much money for little production.
Hawks currently at under $10 mill in cap space, but figure Adams, Diggs, Dremont Jones, and even Lockett on the potential chopping block. Think Lockett will restructure and remain.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Hawks currently at under $10 mill in cap space, but figure Adams, Diggs, Dremont Jones, and even Lockett on the potential chopping block. Think Lockett will restructure and remain.
I think they move on from Lockett with Smith-Njigba getting a bigger role. I think the seahawks will be more brutal with cap casualties this year due to new coach not having a relationship with them.

Adams is a 100% cert. Probably Diggs

I'm kind of a little excited/intrigued to see how JS does with more power. Especially based on the last 2 drafts.

Reactions: sigma six

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think they move on from Lockett with Smith-Njigba getting a bigger role. I think the seahawks will be more brutal with cap casualties this year due to new coach not having a relationship with them.

Adams is a 100% cert. Probably Diggs

I'm kind of a little excited/intrigued to see how JS does with more power. Especially based on the last 2 drafts.
If Seattle were to bring in a young QB, I'd want Lockett back. JSN is fine, but DK is a hothead and having a vet like Lockett would help. But, depends on the QB.

For Seattle in the draft, I think their ideal pick would be Newton, DT from Illinois, but could be off the board. Think there are a bunch of CB/OT/WR where Seattle picks, so likely see JS trade back to add an extra 3rd or something to help offset the 2nd round pick they moved for Williams.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
If Seattle were to bring in a young QB, I'd want Lockett back. JSN is fine, but DK is a hothead and having a vet like Lockett would help. But, depends on the QB.

For Seattle in the draft, I think their ideal pick would be Newton, DT from Illinois, but could be off the board. Think there are a bunch of CB/OT/WR where Seattle picks, so likely see JS trade back to add an extra 3rd or something to help offset the 2nd round pick they moved for Williams.
Will likely depend on how flexible Lockett is in restructuring. Teams like the chiefs would pay him bank in my opinion (although this is a strong receiver class). If the Seahawks free up a lot of cap space it may help in free agency for DT and other help.

Just have a feeling we go QB in round 1 with a new coach. Bo Nix in my opinion unless they moved up.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Cowherd seems to think Carroll may take the Chargers job. Given his history in LA and the Chargers battling for relevancy in a market with the Rams, dodgers and lakers it makes some sense. They have a qb too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will likely depend on how flexible Lockett is in restructuring. Teams like the chiefs would pay him bank in my opinion (although this is a strong receiver class). If the Seahawks free up a lot of cap space it may help in free agency for DT and other help.

Just have a feeling we go QB in round 1 with a new coach. Bo Nix in my opinion unless they moved up.
Nix, I feel at best is 2022 Geno Smith. I take some of his Oregon stats with a grain of salt since he has been a starter as a true freshman at Auburn and he was a SR and Super SR at Oregon. There's a reason he didn't come out last year as a true SR and went back for a super SR year.

The main advantage for having Nix, is that IF he can perform close to a 2022 Geno, is the cheap contract to then add players around him.

I don't see special with Nix.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cowherd seems to think Carroll may take the Chargers job. Given his history in LA and the Chargers battling for relevancy in a market with the Rams, dodgers and lakers it makes some sense. They have a qb too.
Carrroll does want to coach still. Can tell from his presser. If the Chargers don't land Harbaugh, I think Carroll does make sense for them.
Question for Pete is whether he opens up the offence and lets the OC run the show vs force his philosophy on the team. Work with the talent you have.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
are the Chargers going to give up draft capital to get Pete? I don’t see it. Cowherd is always full of shit anyways.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
are the Chargers going to give up draft capital to get Pete? I don’t see it. Cowherd is always full of shit anyways.
I imagine the Seahawks would waive it and save themselves money not having to pay the rest of his big contract. Cowherd when it comes to LA teams like USC, Rams and Chargers is fairly in the know. Rest of the league is just his opinion though. He seemed to be in the know at one point with Russell Wilsons agent but that seems to have soured.

Those were Lockett's numbers, not Adams.

But, very close.

$27 mill cap hit. $16.5 mill base for 2024 (not guaranteed). $20.8 mill dead money.
Ahh. Id bite the bullet on Adams. With Lockett, it could just be on the coach/JS. Do you cut Lockett, give JSN a bigger role and draft another receiver cheaper in the mid rounds and save $$$.

It's a brutal business.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I imagine the Seahawks would waive it and save themselves money not having to pay the rest of his big contract. Cowherd when it comes to LA teams like USC, Rams and Chargers is fairly in the know. Rest of the league is just his opinion though. He seemed to be in the know at one point with Russell Wilsons agent but that seems to have soured.

Ahh. Id bite the bullet on Adams. With Lockett, it could just be on the coach/JS. Do you cut Lockett, give JSN a bigger role and draft another receiver cheaper in the mid rounds and save $$$.

It's a brutal business.
Roster wise:
IOL help, likely need 2 additions at OG. I have hope for Olu
TE need guys. They may regret passing on musgrave to take Hall last year.
Need another WR is Lockett not back. Bobo is a nice WR4. Young, physical traits are there but no production yet.
DT need upgrade
DE need someone to step up. Can Hall and Mafe?
S, assuming both starters are cut leaves Love and Reed unless they want to move Bryant there.
LB, need younger talent than Bobby and Brooks is a free agent.

What can they fill via free agency vs draft?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Roster wise:
IOL help, likely need 2 additions at OG. I have hope for Olu
TE need guys. They may regret passing on musgrave to take Hall last year.
Need another WR is Lockett not back. Bobo is a nice WR4. Young, physical traits are there but no production yet.
DT need upgrade
DE need someone to step up. Can Hall and Mafe?
S, assuming both starters are cut leaves Love and Reed unless they want to move Bryant there.
LB, need younger talent than Bobby and Brooks is a free agent.

What can they fill via free agency vs draft?
I think TE they are okay with Fant and Dissly under contract. Guessing Parkinson walks. The TE position is slowly being phased out in the college game, eventually that trend will happen in the pros too in importance.

I think center is still an issue and guards. Worried about Lucas health at RT, hopefully he is okay.

Definitely need DT help. Possibly highest priority other than long term QB.

DE they probably pay Williams and Nwosu is coming back. Things faltered once he went out. Guessing they hope Mafe keeps making big steps. Showed promise for a stretch.

They'll let Taylor walk.

Definitely need to draft some safeties.

They need a WR possibly lower down with eskeridge likely gone and possibly lockett.

I think Brooks gets paid and given a bigger role. If Bobby comes back it will be a low ball contract.

I think they get a QB. I'm just not sure it's in round 1 and viewed as the long term QB or 3rd round that sits and learns behind Geno for a year. Huge decision to make.

This is a big year for Riq Woolen. This year was so disappointing given his rookie season was so good.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m kind of certain that fant just played on his 5th year option. So he should be a free agent.

Dissly is under contract but probably needs to restructure to remain.

Woolen, that knee scope before camp likely set him back. Needs refinement in his game. Raw skills are there but needs work in technique.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I only see that happening if they can't convince Belichik to come on board.

Also, Spanos has to be willing to pay big time. & cede some football ops control.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Yes Adams and Diggs both need to move on. Lockett is trickier because he's always been such a positive for the whole team, but his cap hit balloons big time this coming year. Massively back-loaded contract.

Fant will walk, they won't pay what he'll want and Parkinson can move up for less. Need to figure Dissly out too; love the guy but he makes way too much for how he's used.

The team will still have great weapons and DB's without the above players. That money is needed to add beef in the middle on both sides of the ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad