NFL: Pete Carroll out as Seahawks head coach, stays on as an advisor

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
woah, was not expecting that. but then again given his age, it wouldn't be surprising if he was done with the coaching grind

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
God, it will be weird to see a new coach in Seattle.

Tomlin, Belichick and Carroll are so ingrained in the culture of their respective teams, it's almost hard to imagine their teams with different head coaches.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
...wow. I always assumed he would remain coach until he decided otherwise, remaining part of the FO executives.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Whoa, this came out of nowhere.

Pete is getting up there in age, probably didn't want to keep on going well into his 70's.
He's going to the Hall of Fame down the road, he probably wants to take it easy now.

As for who replaces him? Dan Quinn could be the spot for him as he's been itching to get back into head coaching. I don't know if Harbaugh would be a fit though.

@snipes who else would replace Pete?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
woah, was not expecting that. but then again given his age, it wouldn't be surprising if he was done with the coaching grind
I am surprised given that the hawks will be sold per the Will left behind by Paul Allen. But figured Pete would return since the city is entities to 10% of rhe hawks proceeds of sale if sold before May 2025. Thought 2024 would be it for Pete.

Whoa, this came out of nowhere.

Pete is getting up there in age, probably didn't want to keep on going well into his 70's.
He's going to the Hall of Fame down the road, he probably wants to take it easy now.

As for who replaces him? Dan Quinn could be the spot for him as he's been itching to get back into head coaching. I don't know if Harbaugh would be a fit though.

@snipes who else would replace Pete?
Harbaugh and Pete had their issues in college. Not sure if that has been mended.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seattle is interesting spot.

Has some good young building blocks but no Longterm QB

I imagine any coaching hire will ask about plan at QB

Geno Smith is going to turn 34 early next season and was rather pedestrian this year while Lock is not answer.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
In his presser a couple of days ago, Pete literally stated his intent to coach next year. Are we sure this was his decision?

Of course, he had generally been sly with the media regarding his intentions regarding the team day-to-day, so that wouldn't surprise me either (claiming status quo while change was in the works)

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I am surprised given that the hawks will be sold per the Will left behind by Paul Allen. But figured Pete would return since the city is entities to 10% of rhe hawks proceeds of sale if sold before May 2025. Thought 2024 would be it for Pete.

Harbaugh and Pete had their issues in college. Not sure if that has been mended.

Yeah that could be the case but then again, that was over a decade or so ago.
If they did go for Jim Harbaugh, then that would be something for Seattle to grab.

But the question remains, would Jim Harbaugh be entertained by the Seahawks job.

Good thing Pete got his final win.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure what the Seahawks are thinking here.
Like I said, Hawks sale can be finalized in May 2025 with no proceeds to the city. So, for sure 2024 Pete could have returned and called it a career and allowed new owner to hire their own guy. But, timing with most HC spots filled before end of Feb, how does one insert their own influence over the choice and have HC in place before sale finalizes in May 2025.

I think Quinn makes the most logical sense for Seattle since he's worked with Pete and John. Most likely a defensive HC since that's where most of Pete's coaching tree comes from. Saleh started off in Seattle for example.

I am interested to see how the offense does no longer in Pete's philosophy. More creativity I hope.

Don't see a Vrabel going to Seattle. The locker room and practice will definitely have a much different feel to it for the players, so they better be ready for that. To what extent, will depend on the replacement.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
In his presser a couple of days ago, Pete literally stated his intent to coach next year. Are we sure this was his decision?

Of course, he had generally been sly with the media regarding his intentions regarding the team day-to-day, so that wouldn't surprise me either (claiming status quo while change was in the works)
Yeah the presser was odd given that two days later he isn’t the coach anymore. Seems like an owner decision.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah the presser was odd given that two days later he isn’t the coach anymore. Seems like an owner decision.
It is puzzling, given that Jody leaves it to Pete and John to run. And with a pending sale/auction of the Hawks which likely begins later in 2024 (due diligence and stuff), figured she'd just ride with Pete in 2024 and let the new owner decide for 2025. Again, maybe she realizes timing wise, not great with a May 2025 cutoff and jobs need to be filled by free agency in late March.
So, it's really a 2 year commitment at the HC spot even with the sale in 2025.
Let's face it, the defence, has been in the 20's for the past 5 seasons. That's Pete's side of the ball. Hasn't turned that around yet.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I was leaning towards accepting that it was time for change, but seeing the news in text has me feeling a bit pouty anyway. Am very grateful for his run with the Hawks.

Reactions: DustyDangler

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was leaning towards accepting that it was time for change, but seeing the news in text has me feeling a bit pouty anyway. Am very grateful for his run with the Hawks.
On one hand, it's like, they are around 16 months away from a new owner. So, could have run it back with Pete.
On the other hand, that defense isn't getting any better and that's his side of the ball.

The former LOB guys saying that the locker room is different now, kind of telling and being realistic, need to take advantage of the younger players on rookie contracts while they have the cap flexibility.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

That press release from the team/owner didn't really sound like it was his idea

Reactions: sigma six

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad