NFL: Pete Carroll out as Seahawks head coach, stays on as an advisor

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Shocked that they actually did it but it was time. He had no answer for the problems in the trenches despite some good tackles and rb's. Havent been able to stop the run for a while.

Hopefully Schneider has more control as GM.

Guessing they go Dan Quinn but he feels like the safe pick. In a division with the 49ers and Rams we may need to take a risk.

Yeah that could be the case but then again, that was over a decade or so ago.
If they did go for Jim Harbaugh, then that would be something for Seattle to grab.

But the question remains, would Jim Harbaugh be entertained by the Seahawks job.

Good thing Pete got his final win.
I like Harbaugh but many in Seattle don't due to his 49ers time and his team just beating the huskies in the natty

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Seattle is interesting spot.

Has some good young building blocks but no Longterm QB

I imagine any coaching hire will ask about plan at QB

Geno Smith is going to turn 34 early next season and was rather pedestrian this year while Lock is not answer.
This looks a good draft class on paper. Good qb's, receivers and DT's. If there was a year for a new coach to build this may be the one. Wish we still had our 2nd round pick though

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sean McVay, the youngest head coach in the league for 7 years, and is now as old as Kyle Shanahan was when he was hired. Both share the mantle as the longest tenured coach in the NFC now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If that is case, he should have made them fire him.

I wouldn't go along with this type of arrangement after all I had accomplished If I was him. If you don't want me anymore then get rid of me and dont put some PR fluff around it
Pete is not coaching again. Don’t see another team giving him 4/5 years. Plus been a while since one side of the ball for Pete has been great.
So really up to Pete how he wanted to exit.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

I wouldn't go along with this type of arrangement after all I had accomplished If I was him. If you don't want me anymore then get rid of me and dont put some PR fluff around it
I think he did get fired in all but name. An advisory role just feels like something to save face for a legend and paying him while his contract runs. Reading between the lines about him saying them losing their edge on defense and running game shows that.

Reactions: LT and Mrfenn92

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Agreed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think he did get fired in all but name. An advisory role just feels like something to save face for a legend and paying him while his contract runs. Reading between the lines about him saying them losing their edge on defense and running game shows that.
If you are Pete do you want to be fired? I mean he gets the money either way from the sounds of it.who would hire him to be their coach?
So might as well exit this way. I’m sure he didn’t want to go out but the results are what they are. His defence hasn’t been good and he’s had time to get it fixed.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
If you are Pete do you want to be fired? I mean he gets the money either way from the sounds of it.who would hire him to be their coach?
So might as well exit this way. I’m sure he didn’t want to go out but the results are what they are. His defence hasn’t been good and he’s had time to get it fixed.
I think it ends things in as good terms as possible. Would suck for it to sour after 14 years

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
It wouldn't shock me if Carroll coaches again. Especially in college. With NIl and the transfer portal you can build teams fast. Hes a great recruiter and motivator.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It wouldn't shock me if Carroll coaches again. Especially in college. With NIl and the transfer portal you can build teams fast. Hes a great recruiter and motivator.
I don't think he has it in him to recruit like that in the portal and HS. So much time has passed for him.

If you think your team is close, I can maybe see Pete, but aside from the Chargers, I don't see a spot for Pete. Other teams need someone long term if they have a young QB, such as Was, Ten, Car, etc.

I could see Pete liking going back to SoCal.

Reactions: Voight

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I don't think he has it in him to recruit like that in the portal and HS. So much time has passed for him.

If you think your team is close, I can maybe see Pete, but aside from the Chargers, I don't see a spot for Pete. Other teams need someone long term if they have a young QB, such as Was, Ten, Car, etc.

I could see Pete liking going back to SoCal.
He'd probably make sure he has the right people recruiting for him. I think he'd have college kids running through brick walls for him. Wouldn't shock me if he went back to usc if/when Lincoln Riley leaves. His exit interview felt like a job pitch to others. He was one of the greatest college coaches of all time. Doubt that would change with NIL. Would just speed it up

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This wasn't unexpected. The discourse on Carroll changed real quick in the span of 48 hours leading up the Hawks season finale to the point you have to figure something was up.

I don't know i agree with it...but i can at least see the logic behind it. Seattle kinda fell apart down the stretch and were pretty mediocre last year as well. Change could be needed.

All that aside he leaves a hell of a pair of shoes to fill. 13 seasons as Seahawks HC with only 3 being under 500, made the playoffs 10/13 seasons. Super bowl win and a second appearance. Feats that likely won't be matched for that franchise for a long time.

On top of his first NFL stint (which wasn't actually bad, 36-31 with 2 playoff appearances) i think he has a legit argument for Canton.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This wasn't unexpected. The discourse on Carroll changed real quick in the span of 48 hours leading up the Hawks season finale to the point you have to figure something was up.

I don't know i agree with it...but i can at least see the logic behind it. Seattle kinda fell apart down the stretch and were pretty mediocre last year as well. Change could be needed.

All that aside he leaves a hell of a pair of shoes to fill. 13 seasons as Seahawks HC with only 3 being under 500, made the playoffs 10/13 seasons. Super bowl win and a second appearance. Feats that likely won't be matched for that franchise for a long time.

On top of his first NFL stint (which wasn't actually bad, 36-31 with 2 playoff appearances) i think he has a legit argument for Canton.

Yeah, Pete is bound for the hall of fame with his Seattle legacy in place.

Feels like yesterday he got hired in Seattle, I just recently moved to Vancouver and the Seahawks were coming off that absolutely awful season from Jim Mora Jr. You have to remember back then, even people were like 'wait, Pete Carroll again?' Cause he flamed out with the Jets and Patriots, went to USC and built a legacy there and people were like 'he's more of a college coach'.

He made the best out of his 3rd time, it eventually made him a HOF coach. Lots of people were waiting for him to fail again, he turned out okay by doing it his way.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah, Pete is bound for the hall of fame with his Seattle legacy in place.

Feels like yesterday he got hired in Seattle, I just recently moved to Vancouver and the Seahawks were coming off that absolutely awful season from Jim Mora Jr. You have to remember back then, even people were like 'wait, Pete Carroll again?' Cause he flamed out with the Jets and Patriots, went to USC and built a legacy there and people were like 'he's more of a college coach'.

He made the best out of his 3rd time, it eventually made him a HOF coach. Lots of people were waiting for him to fail again, he turned out okay by doing it his way.
I wouldn't even call Pete's first rodeo a flameout. The guy had a winning record.

Obviously it wasn't apparent he was going to be this good when he came back, but the way i saw people talk about him in his first go round made him sound like a Bobby Petrino or f***in Rich Kotite.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Crazy.. Did making the playoffs last year give the ownership unrealistic goals? Many thought that this team was cooked after the Russ trade and were going to enter into a rebuild ( or retool) . Instead they made the playoffs and almost did it again this year. Sure they had a collapse this year but overall I think that Pete has done a tremendous job over these past 2 seasons.....The Hawks are on the right path now .They need a long term QB though. Gotta find a way to address that soon.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't even call Pete's first rodeo a flameout. The guy had a winning record.

Obviously it wasn't apparent he was going to be this good when he came back, but the way i saw people talk about him in his first go round made him sound like a Bobby Petrino or f***in Rich Kotite.

Petrino was a bum and Kotite should thank his lucky stars he had one of the best defenses of the 1990's with him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Whoa, this came out of nowhere.

Pete is getting up there in age, probably didn't want to keep on going well into his 70's.
He's going to the Hall of Fame down the road, he probably wants to take it easy now.

As for who replaces him? Dan Quinn could be the spot for him as he's been itching to get back into head coaching. I don't know if Harbaugh would be a fit though.

@snipes who else would replace Pete?

Damn, didn’t see this coming. It makes sense though.

Will be interesting to see if they promote from within or go outside the organization.

Lots of good young players on the roster. I would think it would be an attractive landing spot for head coaching candidates.

Reactions: EpochLink

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
His first year was the year that Marshawn Lynch had that 67-yard screamer (grabbing his nuts while jumping into the endzone) to upset the Saints in the playoffs. Feels like yesterday.

Reactions: snipes

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Damn, didn’t see this coming. It makes sense though.

Will be interesting to see if they promote from within or go outside the organization.

Lots of good young players on the roster. I would think it would be an attractive landing spot for head coaching candidates.

Also,

This could be a good time for the Seahawks to invest in that franchise QB. Pete had Russ for years, new regime needs to hit this one as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Crazy.. Did making the playoffs last year give the ownership unrealistic goals? Many thought that this team was cooked after the Russ trade and were going to enter into a rebuild ( or retool) . Instead they made the playoffs and almost did it again this year. Sure they had a collapse this year but overall I think that Pete has done a tremendous job over these past 2 seasons.....The Hawks are on the right path now .They need a long term QB though. Gotta find a way to address that soon.
They over achieved last season. Didn't see the same growth this season. A few guys took a step back which hurt.

I think for Jody Allen, it probably came down to, if she's going to keep the team for a while, time for a change. Seattle cover 3 Defense has spread across the NFL. So makes it easier to attack since people know the principles of the scheme.
Also,

This could be a good time for the Seahawks to invest in that franchise QB. Pete had Russ for years, new regime needs to hit this one as well.

Probably should have done that last year with the5th pick. I don’t see them jumping to 1 from 14. I mean Chicago is nuts to roll with fields. But rhem keeping their HC is like repeating Nagy again.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
They over achieved last season. Didn't see the same growth this season. A few guys took a step back which hurt.

I think for Jody Allen, it probably came down to, if she's going to keep the team for a while, time for a change. Seattle cover 3 Defense has spread across the NFL. So makes it easier to attack since people know the principles of the scheme.

Probably should have done that last year with the5th pick. I don’t see them jumping to 1 from 14. I mean Chicago is nuts to roll with fields. But rhem keeping their HC is like repeating Nagy again.

I'm sure they loved Stroud, but all QB's taken in Rd 1 last year were off the board by pick 5. Maybe Houston, CAR and Indy were dead set on making their picks and there was no deal to be made.

Reactions: LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad