Player Discussion: Petan

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

I would think coming from your comfortable retirement digs from down in the Baja Peninsula amongst the rich and famous, we could count on your for a lot more than $ $50 pesos Larmex. You may be able to afford to buy the team--or at least half of it ? :)
You are right GNP. I will up my original offer to $100 pesos. Strange that nobody else is chipping in though........

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
At the same time over 1/2 their roster is young drafted players that they have aggressively pushed into the lineup over the last few years. Most have started at the bottom, did what they could, showed some promise and were given more opportunity. Nic actually came along in favorable conditions and had fewer players in his way than picks that came after him that were able to carve out roles.

Very few skilled players started at the bottom Bogo.

Morrissey top 4 right off the bat with Buff
Ehlers started with Scheifele and Perrault
Conner started with Perrault and Armia
Laine consistently in the top 6

Only Roslovic and Petan started at the bottom and Roslovic has clearly done less then Petan did with his top 6 opportunity.

Also Petan has been quite good in the past with Copp and Armia or even this year on the fourth line, it just comes down to Maurice wanting a different elements for that role for good or for bad.

Reactions: Jack722

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What would be wrong with that? It’s all about opportunity. The Jets have 3 wingers that are younger than him producing in the top 6 and a dominant defensive 3rd line. If Petan has a better career than Ehlers, Connor or Laine then you could say it’s a big miss but what are the chances of that?

Ironically Connor and Laine are severely under producing for their ice time... at evens.

Note: NOT arguing Petan is better. Just saying.

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If he goes to another NHL organization and finds success it will definitely will raise questions. They had had him for 6 years and were sitting him out for months straight in year 6. That tells me that they or Maurice made their decision on him and now they need to be right on that decision esp because unlike other players that falter and go on to find success elsewhere they didn't even play him so the fans have no memory of his "bad play" to act as consolation of "he would never have been as good with us as he is with team x, we watched him for 3 seasons not accomplish much on the ice".
If he goes to another organization and gets top 6 or top 9 minutes and does well, that's good for him but not necessarily an indictment of the Jets assessment. The Jets have one of the deepest forward groups in the NHL and he couldn't dislodge anyone in the top 9. Success in the NHL has a lot to do with opportunity.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ironically Connor and Laine are severely under producing for their ice time... at evens.

Note: NOT arguing Petan is better. Just saying.
Agree. It's an anomaly for Laine, based on last season.

I think they will both turn it around. High end talents.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’m going to miss his 5 career goals in over 100 career games when he’s traded.

Only if he had played with Scheifele and Wheeler. Forget rewarding and utilizing Connor or Ehlers abundant skill set, Petan and his 5 career goals deserved that spot.

Oh, but if he didn’t play on the 4th line with plugs he’d be a star. Wait, Lemieux has only played 4th line minutes and has more goals this season than Petan has in his career. Petan is clearly the reincarnation of Marty St Louis though.

Reactions: Deedog99

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016

Only Roslovic and Petan started at the bottom and Roslovic has clearly done less then Petan did with his top 6 opportunity.

Also Petan has been quite good in the past with Copp and Armia or even this year on the fourth line, it just comes down to Maurice wanting a different elements for that role for good or for bad.
Yeah ok.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Very few skilled players started at the bottom. Scheifele and ehlers and connor all started on 3rd line. All 1st rounders. Where should a mid 2nd rounder start higher then scheifele connor ehlers. The Top 6. Not very likely. Lemieux drafted higher then petan started on 4th line. And has more career goals already. Keep on blaming his linemates and coach I guess.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Roslo has a hatrick with extra minutes I guess he just tied Petan for production;)

Reactions: Deedog99

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
All on the PP. His ES production in the top 6 is not very good. But he had a nice game.
Extra minutes are extra minutes. I'm not taking Roslo out to give the minutes to Petan.
Roslo did have an assist es and could have had more if he wasn't trying to feed Laine do Laine could get over his slump.
He could have had an es assist to lits last game.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I swear that some posters seem happy that a Jets' prospect/asset might fail in our system.

Or perhaps it's not really about the player, and more about the interactions on this forum.

It appears to be the end of the road in Winnipeg for Petan: I hope we get a good return for him, and that he sees success with another team

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I swear that some posters seem happy that a Jets' prospect/asset might fail in our system.

Or perhaps it's not really about the player, and more about the interactions on this forum.

It appears to be the end of the road in Winnipeg for Petan: I hope we get a good return for him, and that he sees success with another team

Very well put. I have thought this for a while. I look at Petan and I see a hard-working, highly-skilled player who has fought the size bias his whole career, and might have made a real difference as a playmaker for a Jets team that could use one. I have genuinely never understood the hate he’s attracted here. It’s an ugly thing to see.

Anyway, I wish him and his family all the best, wherever he and they end up. It is tough to be carrying so much on his shoulders in this pivotal year of his career.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

You nailed it. For some, it is more important that their takes about the player are proven right rather than the success of a Jets prospect and by extension the Jets.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You are right GNP. I will up my original offer to $100 pesos. Strange that nobody else is chipping in though........

Is this offer being made directly from the comfort of your private Yacht Larmex ?? It's a very generous offer, but I may have to push you to the limit, and get you to come up a bit, and we can get this deal done.

Your right on the other subject -- they need to get that WALL built, and keep those Yanks "out" of your private domain -- their just to loud and misbehaved.

I do have a counter offer that I'm going to make to you a little later Larmex, and see if I can get you to up to the amount we'll need to get this deal closed. :cool:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Petan has less detractors than Lemieux. Everyone thinks Petan should be in over someone.
People see any other players struggling and are like why isn't Petan in. If you say I like Lemieux in over Petan ppl want to show you stats your wrong.
Some people like Lemieux and Roslovic and hate being showed advanced stats that they are wrong.
People don't want to fail they just hate when ppl are constantly like play x instead.
It's like how whenever Helly lets in a goal ppl want to say why didn't Broissot play. As if they want Hellybuck to fail.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You nailed it. For some, it is more important that their takes about the player are proven right rather than the success of a Jets prospect and by extension the Jets.

Ego is a powerful drug.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

As fans, we spend a part of our time pumping the tires of our favorite players and deflating the tires of those our favorites should replace.
You're bound to get some of this -
Personally, I don't get beating any Jet player into the ground in a hope that they are moved to another team -

Reactions: probablywrongbut

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Actually it's more about some not wanting to say we were wrong on petan. And because of that panning prospects like lemieux and Appleton as just not quite as good as petan and pointing out minor flaws in rookies 1st 30 games as major deficiencies in their games that prove they are not ready to play in league.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As fans, we spend a part of our time pumping the tires of our favorite players and deflating the tires of those our favorites should replace.
I don't. They're all "our players". Even if you dislike a player, I'd hope you want them to be successful enough to net a good return

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad