Petan signs contract...2 way deal?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
A team could do worse than having Dano and Petan battling for the last roster spot.
Plus we have depth coming into lineup like never before. Dano, Lemieux, Appleton and even Vesalainen for up to 9 games are good players to insert when injuries happen. Not to mention some of the vets they signed to the Moose with NHL experience.

Reactions: ps241

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
This contract is for Petan’s benefit. If he gets sent down then he will be claimed by an NHL club that wants him and is prepared to give him the opportunity he needs.

Reactions: Naturaledge

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Plus we have depth coming into lineup like never before. Dano, Lemieux, Appleton and even Vesalainen for up to 9 games are good players to insert when injuries happen. Not to mention some of the vets they signed to the Moose with NHL experience.

Yea as long as we don't sign a plug on the cheap (not even sure that is possible) we should have an excellent forward group this year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A team could do worse than having Dano and Petan battling for the last roster spot.
I'm curious on who will battling with them. Unless traded I think Petan and Dano are on the team, but they could be #13 & 14. Appleton and Lemieux will get looks, but the real wildcard is Vaselainen. People seem to assume he is destined for the A, but it seems to me he is negotiating with leverage similar to a university player you are trying to pry out of college. I think there is a really real possibility a multi year KHL contract is a fall back position for him and he is looking for real opportunity if he is going to sign on agreeing to an ELC.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I'm curious on who will battling with them. Unless traded I think Petan and Dano are on the team, but they could be #13 & 14. Appleton and Lemieux will get looks, but the real wildcard is Vaselainen. People seem to assume he is destined for the A, but it seems to me he is negotiating with leverage similar to a university player you are trying to pry out of college. I think there is a really real possibility a multi year KHL contract is a fall back position for him and he is looking for real opportunity if he is going to sign on agreeing to an ELC.

Vesalainen signing for two years in a shaky, corrupt league would be harming his NHL aspirations more than he'd be hurting the Jets.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Kind of redundant, thrice repeating the same action with different words.

There was a single occurrence back in January 2016 to my knowledge. Petan was late for a practice claiming his alarm didn't go off. He was benched for a one game, to my knowledge the only time he's been healthy scratched in the AHL.
I recall this version, it happened once.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
If it was done recently then a link to the interview is pretty routine, however this information is not unknown to most non casual Jets fans.

The comments indicating surprise or lack of this knowledge reflect more on that then needing links to very public interviews that detailed issues with behavior. The question was asked and answered and the information is accurate. Not hearsay or opinion, actual comments made by his coach and teammates. Comments very well known to those who follow the team closely. Which as we all know are many.
Comments well known by those who follow the team closely.......you're kidding right?
There is no way anyone in the True North organization is going into such detail about a player publicly like that. Anyone who follows the team remotely close knows that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If only you people paid more attention to the Jets and their prospects... :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I went searching through the HF Jets posts and if there was anything more than a 1 game scratch for Petan being late in January 2016, I couldn't find it. There was a mention of Kostalek being late multiple times but not Petan. If McCambridge or Petan's teammates had said in an interview that it was a recurring issue, you'd think it would've made the boards here...

“If you followed Jets enough you’d know about Harmon’s big hands from my photos.”

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Does anyone else remember the one game Petan got to play with Scheifele and Wheeler in the 2016-2017 season?

He had about 4 grade A chances, but didn't score. I think he got an assist. He looked really good on that line though.

If you want to play that game... remember that game Hendricks had two points including scoring a beautiful goal in under ten mins of icetime?

Doesn’t mean we should resign him and play him between Ehlers and Laine...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
If you want to play that game... remember that game Hendricks had two points including scoring a beautiful goal in under ten mins of icetime?

Doesn’t mean we should resign him and play him between Ehlers and Laine...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that there are a few additional differences between a Petan and a Hendricks.

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
This contract is for Petan’s benefit. If he gets sent down then he will be claimed by an NHL club that wants him and is prepared to give him the opportunity he needs.

I was surprised about the 2 way contract as most other guys in the league his similar position get one-ways. Look at the Jets, Dano last year got a one way, as did Tanev.

Then as you said, perhaps the 2 way makes it more appealing in the event of waivers as teams can reduce the financial risk somewhat if things don't work out. He'll get claimed on waivers if it got to that point, the WHL and AHL play stick with people. I doubt there are many guys of his age, skill set and contract that will be going through waivers.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
“If you followed Jets enough you’d know about Harmon’s big hands from my photos.”
But are they soft hands?

CfVjcsJUkAAxAFn.jpg

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Hendricks career shooting percentage is 7.7% while Petan's is 5.1%. Petan has yet to prove that he can score goals in the NHL. When it comes to scoring goals he is more like Cormier and Tangraidi and James Wright so far in his career. We will see what this year brings....

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that there are a few additional differences between a Petan and a Hendricks.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Hendricks career shooting percentage is 7.7% while Petan's is 5.1%. Petan has yet to prove that he can score goals in the NHL. When uit comes to scoring goals he is more like Cormier and Tangraidi and James Wright so far in his career. We will see what this year brings....

He's proved he can hit posts. Happened repeatedly playing the half wall on the Jets PP while he was up on the big club.

If he can bury a few, he'll get a lot more respect from defenders which will open some passing lanes for him.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
If only you people paid more attention to the Jets and their prospects... :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I went searching through the HF Jets posts and if there was anything more than a 1 game scratch for Petan being late in January 2016, I couldn't find it. There was a mention of Kostalek being late multiple times but not Petan. If McCambridge or Petan's teammates had said in an interview that it was a recurring issue, you'd think it would've made the boards here...

Perhaps the reason Kostalek was demoted to the ECHL last season for 8 games & then didn't get a qualifying offer this summer forcing him to return to Russia.

Petan on the other hand is in all likelihood playing a full season in the NHL this year.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Hendricks career shooting percentage is 7.7% while Petan's is 5.1%. Petan has yet to prove that he can score goals in the NHL. When it comes to scoring goals he is more like Cormier and Tangraidi and James Wright so far in his career. We will see what this year brings....

Sample size.

Petan's sample size is pretty small compared to what is really a complete career.
Hendricks career percentage is probably a very good representation of who he is as a goal scorer.

Nic is still getting there. chances are, seeing his AHL skills we can probably assume his shooting percentage (well bellow average) is due to trend up.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'm not convinced Petan would get claimed on waivers. I think this forum is overrating Petan a bit.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not convinced Petan would get claimed on waivers. I think this forum is overrating Petan a bit.

Equally size challenged and 5th round pick Seth Griffith has been placed on waivers 3 times and selected every time.

Petan has a better draft pedigree, better junior numbers, an international career of note & better AHL numbers relative to Griffith at this stage in his pro career.

On that note, The Athletic just did a story on Seth Griffith today.

Seth Griffith, the 25-year-old journeyman, looks for a new...

A least one poster here is privy to AHL analytics that aren't publicly available which would likely make this case a much easier one for you to accept. He projects Petan to play a top 9 role for the Jets by December.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
He's proved he can hit posts. Happened repeatedly playing the half wall on the Jets PP while he was up on the big club.

If he can bury a few, he'll get a lot more respect from defenders which will open some passing lanes for him.
That's why I believe his latest stint in the minors will only benefit him. He shot the puck more and scored more goals which is what he needed to do. He was always too unselfish and almost always passed the puck, now I'm hoping he brings more balance to that part of his game so he's not so predictable. He will be more polished and I think will surprise people this season.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Equally size challenged and 5th round pick Seth Griffith has been placed on waivers 3 times and selected every time.

Petan has a better draft pedigree, better junior numbers, an international career of note & better AHL numbers relative to Griffith at this stage in his pro career.

On that note, The Athletic just did a story on Seth Griffith today.

Seth Griffith, the 25-year-old journeyman, looks for a new...

A least one poster here is privy to AHL analytics that aren't publicly available which would likely make this case a much easier one for you to accept. He projects Petan to play a top 9 role for the Jets by December.
Griffith may be the first call up if we need a centre. I see him and Lemieux being recalled first. Vesalainen will get some games but most likely not more then his 10 max.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Comments well known by those who follow the team closely.......you're kidding right?
There is no way anyone in the True North organization is going into such detail about a player publicly like that. Anyone who follows the team remotely close knows that.
Well maybe one of the reasons McCambridge isn't with the Jets, but you know saying it didn't happen doesn't change that it actually did.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Well maybe one of the reasons McCambridge isn't with the Jets, but you know saying it didn't happen doesn't change that it actually did.

but saying it did does?:huh::huh::huh::huh:

evidence of multiple complaints or infractions would be appreciated here...

we all agree 1 time he was benched, and that it was because he was late. if you have one shred of evidence to back up your claim that Petan has a chronic attitude problem present it..that or stop spreading baseless BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad