Petan signs contract...2 way deal?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
How is it pinching pennies. Maybe he got the contract he earned and deserved.
Petan settled for exactly his qualifying offer. Chevy didn't pay him a penny more than he had to, to maintain him as a member of the organization. The interesting part is this applies to his minor league salary as well.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Everyone's favourite trade throw-in gets a one year deal, whoopee ding dong!

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
After thinking on this for a while, the two way makes sense as the amount he signed for was his QO and Chevy was not willing to go more than that, I'm sure Chevy offered less money on a one-way deal but Petans camp likely turned that down as taking the QO on the two-way deal would net him more money as either way he's not likely to make it through waivers if he's sent down.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
He won't make it through waivers so his agent probably took the higher AAV with the QO.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This year, a spot in the lineup is really his to lose.

Hopefully Chevy doesn't sign some depth plug ala Hendricks to take up a spot.
After signing Petan and Dano, the Jets don't have any cap space or roster spots for another forward. The current forward group is set.

Connor
Scheifele
Wheeler
Ehlers
Roslovic
Laine
Perreault
Little
Copp
Lowry
Tanev
Dano
Petan

Lemieux, Vesalainen and Appleton would likely battle for a spot on the roster / lineup, assuming they go with 14 forwards. They could go with 13 forwards and 8 D, in which case Vesalainen, Lemieux and Appleton would be in the AHL or Europe (in KV's case).

8 D would be...

Trouba
Morrissey
Buff
Kulikov
Morrow
Myers
Poolman
Chiarot

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Petan settled for exactly his qualifying offer. Chevy didn't pay him a penny more than he had to, to maintain him as a member of the organization. The interesting part is this applies to his minor league salary as well.
People are confusing money and cap space. Chevy isn't worried about money he's is worried about cap space. People assuming because petan signed 2 way chevy is pinching pennies. If he signed a 1 way and got sent down there should be no cap hit. So then why sign a 2 way if sending him down is not an option and there is no money to be saved on the cap hit . Probably because sending him down isn't far fetched for them.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
After thinking on this for a while, the two way makes sense as the amount he signed for was his QO and Chevy was not willing to go more than that, I'm sure Chevy offered less money on a one-way deal but Petans camp likely turned that down as taking the QO on the two-way deal would net him more money as either way he's not likely to make it through waivers if he's sent down.
Okay I agree with this. Chevy probably offered about $750 000 on a one-way deal. Petan makes more money this way.
I'm hoping there's still enough money to sign Morrissey to a long term deal.
I like Petan. I hope he has a big year playing for the Jets.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
All right....here's a silly thought. This will date me....
Does anyone remember Denis Savard? I swear Petan does his exact move. He comes in at full speed and does a spinorama move thus evading his check.
Could Petan have the slightest bit of Savard's success?
I mean they kinda look the same and they're the same size.
Maybe there's some kind of connection here............
Nah...It's getting late. I'm going to bed.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

:nod:

Reactions: CorgisPer60

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Okay I agree with this. Chevy probably offered about $750 000 on a one-way deal. Petan makes more money this way.
I'm hoping there's still enough money to sign Morrissey to a long term deal.
I like Petan. I hope he has a big year playing for the Jets.
This would be my guess as well. Chevy would have preferred $750,000 on a 1-way over $874,125 on a 2-way. But it is Petan's right to sign his qualifying offer which comes with the minor league salary. The big question is can he find a role with the Jets. There looks to be 1 starting spot up for grabs between him Dano, Lemieux, Appleton and maybe Vaselainen.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I expect a big camp and preseason for Petan. He's going to make it hard to keep him out of the lineup. At worst, he'll fill in nicely for injuries.
Yup. Lets give him the Connor treatment, he will thrive and so will our lineup!

Petan Scheif Wheels
Connor Roslo Laine
Perreault Little Ehlers
CLT

Petan can play on any line imo, and can give us the balance we need.

Reactions: Oilpeg

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
There is not enough excitement about this signing or love for this guy. Point per game in AHL, looked unreal with Roslo on the Moose, and people think he's a write off? He's a top 9 guy, he will make you forget Armia quickly and I liked Armia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad