Recalled/Assigned: Petan and Kaskisuo

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Showcase him for what? He's been waived twice. No takers.
He's not replacing those guys either. He's just another body almost exactly like the Leafs already have far too much of, but worse.

No sense in complaining about the best Marlies option... Who else would you want up? Bracco?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :biglaugh:

Reactions: Chompchompr

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Petan is not an NHL caliber player. This has been proven time after time. Can’t wait to watch him play in the top 6 and do absolutely nothing.

“Showcase him” LOL. No one wants this guy. What is wrong with Dubas???

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Showcase him for what? He's been waived twice. No takers.
He's not replacing those guys either. He's just another body almost exactly like the Leafs already have far too much of, but worse.

Going unclaimed means absolutely nothing in terms of value anymore. In many cases clearing waivers increases your value.

If he gets a chance to get into the lineup consistently, and plays well, someone will take a chance on him. There are a lot of teams with terrible forward depth, and it's not like the acquisition cost is high, so it would be a low risk-medium/high reward for a lot of those teams.

Play him with Tavares or on the 3rd line. Maybe he'll actually get a chance to shine for once, considering he hasn't played higher than the 4th line consistently pretty much at all in his career thus far.

Reactions: qqaz

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Good choice. I think he will get his shot, but sometime in the new year :nod:
When Marner gets back, there will be no room for his cap hit.

We already know what doesn't work, let's try something different. Petan doesn't move the needle for the Leafs in any direction but down.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Going unclaimed means absolutely nothing in terms of value anymore. In many cases clearing waivers increases your value.

If he gets a chance to get into the lineup consistently, and plays well, someone will take a chance on him. There are a lot of teams with terrible forward depth, and it's not like the acquisition cost is high, so it would be a low risk-medium/high reward for a lot of those teams.

Play him with Tavares or on the 3rd line. Maybe he'll actually get a chance to shine for once, considering he hasn't played higher than the 4th line consistently pretty much at all in his career thus far.

He doesn’t play consistently higher than the 4th line because he is terrible. What is so hard to understand about this?

He is an undersized forward, who does nothing well, is terrible defensively and doesn’t produce, at all.

Maybe Spezza should get a chance in the top 6, since he actually is producing and has his whole career.

Reactions: TML1990

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Petan is not an NHL caliber player. This has been proven time after time. Can’t wait to watch him play in the top 6 and do absolutely nothing.

“Showcase him” LOL. No one wants this guy. What is wrong with Dubas???
I read all of your tweets in Poulin's voice and its so annoying LOL, I hate the guy on TSN radio and the panel enough as is.

Back on topic, I personally think Petan has a lot more to give. It's tough to get in a rhythm and put up points when you're the 13th forward coming in and out of the lineup inconsistently. Not a fan of Korshkov, don't want him up here until he dominates the AHL. The kid has barely played hockey the past 2 years.

edit: posts* not tweets lol

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
When Marner gets back, there will be no room for his cap hit.

We already know what doesn't work, let's try something different. Petan doesn't move the needle for the Leafs in any direction but down.

Don't you worry about capspace. I anticipate someone like Johnsson will be traded, which will free up 3.5 mil.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Don't you worry about capspace. I anticipate someone like Johnsson will be traded, which will free up 3.5 mil.
I have been advocating that all season. But it appears they team will live and die with small players who can't score, can't defend, and can't win a puck battle.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have been advocating that all season. But it appears they team will live and die with small players who can't score, can't defend, and can't win a puck battle.

I'm surprised Agostino wasn't given another shot. He's been excellent with the Marlies and we all know he's a solid board player. He wasn't very good in pre-season though.

I like Petan personally and I'm sure there's some form of reasoning to have him in the lineup but I think I'm fine with him staying in the AHL for a little while.

Reactions: kb and Buds17

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

I agree completely. Clearing waivers doesn't change anything. Lots of teams are tight to the 50 contract limit and would rather send something back.

Petan is a fine enough player. I said before the season that he can fill in anywhere on the roster and shouldn't look too out of place. That's what I'm hoping happens now. Put him with Tavares, and keep the rest of the team where it is.

I know I'm in the minority, in general, about this philosophy. But I always like when a replacement player just pluggs into the vacant roster spot, rather than have everyone move up one line. I wanted Spezza to jump on line 2, instead of breaking up Kerfoot's line and shuffling everything around.

Players sometimes surprise when they're put in over their head. I like that. Hope Petan gets a chance to play a top 6 role for a couple of games.

Reactions: Chompchompr

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
While I'd like to see Timashov get in a good run of games, I don't mind Petan in the lineup for occasional stints. (Spezza and Shore are more about centre/wing versatility)
Hope the idea isn't showcase motivated though. I find that's better suited for teams primarily thinking about the future.

IIRC, Kaskisuo has been recalled previously, but has yet to appear in a game. Barring an acquisition, that opportunity should be forthcoming.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm surprised Agostino wasn't given another shot. He's been excellent with the Marlies and we all know he's a solid board player. He wasn't very good in pre-season though.

I like Petan personally and I'm sure there's some form of reasoning to have him in the lineup but I think I'm fine with him staying in the AHL for a little while.
Exactly. It's not like this lineup with Petan hasn't been tried. He's not a difference maker. The Leafs need to see if they have anything else that does make any sort of difference.....which you can never find out by not trying it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad