Injury Report: Pesce (Shoulder) - "Out Long Term"

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Does anyone have link to video of Pesce injury?

Tripp said looked like he got caught by a skate blade but I didn’t see it at the time and can’t figure out what happened...

Either way it will hurt if he’s out long term as Rod stated in the presser.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I like to keep in mind that sometimes they say a guy will be out a while, and it's pretty subjective, especially right after the game. I think they used roughly the same terminology for Marty recently, and he really didn't miss that long grand scheme.

Reactions: zman77

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
giphy.gif

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Just to toss another take out there, my first thought was a torn pectoral muscle. It just didn't look like his shoulder was involved. But I'm guessing.

The way he was cradling his arm skating off looked shoulder but doesn’t make sense from the replay to me.

I’m genuinely curious as to what the official prognosis will be.

Reactions: zman77

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I can't figure it out watching that replay. I just don't see what could have happened on that play unless something happened earlier and that was when something finally popped/tore.

And given how many things Pesce has played through before, this has to be serious to keep him out long term. Ugh.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Just to toss another take out there, my first thought was a torn pectoral muscle. It just didn't look like his shoulder was involved. But I'm guessing.

That was my initial reaction as well. The sling would make dislocated shoulder seem like the likely injury. That’s 6 weeks minimum so they’re f***ed.

I hope Slavin has been conserving his energy because he’s going to have to be getting late 80s Ray Bourque ice time until Hamilton gets back.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Here's the thing about shoulder dislocations: when it pops out for the first time, you mess up the tendons inside the socket. Once that happens, it's really easy for it to keep happening until you get it surgically repaired.

My experience with it is the same as Identity404's, except I've never gotten it fixed because I can't afford the 3 month recovery period with small children at home. Should have done it when I was single, but I didn't. Physical therapy helps, and (knock on wood) I've avoided dislocating it for 3 it 4 years now, but it's not fixed.

The most seemingly harmless things can make it happen again. I've dislocated it moving a pillow behind my head. I've dislocated it passing the puck to a teammate. I can certainly believe his shoulder popped out on that play if he's dislocated that one before.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Here’s where my head is at with this whole thing. Pesce’s one of the last guys we want to lose, especially with Hamilton already out. And, depending on the severity, I understand wanting to go out and grab some help.

However, Charlotte is 7 deep with potential callups on defense right now, something this front office has meticulously built. Not a single one has played a single NHL game this year (our only 7 defensemen to dress for a single game, all year, are last night’s 6 plus Hamilton). At some point you need to ask, what is all of this depth for?

Now, the counterpoint, which is valid, would be that you don’t really know how any of them will step up, and you have actually zero games before the trade deadline to see what you have, so I get it. But at the same time, if there were ever a situation to stop Freddie Claesson, who played 37 NHL games last year, from being an AHL scratch by calling up one of your impressive D prospects and saying “show me what you can do”, it’s now.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
LeBrun is reporting that Carolina is in on Bogosian, and that might be the correct compromise. Give up 0 assets for a guy that is at least NHL experienced, and call up someone from Charlotte in the meantime.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Here’s where my head is at with this whole thing. Pesce’s one of the last guys we want to lose, especially with Hamilton already out. And, depending on the severity, I understand wanting to go out and grab some help.

However, Charlotte is 7 deep with potential callups on defense right now, something this front office has meticulously built. Not a single one has played a single NHL game this year (our only 7 defensemen to dress for a single game, all year, are last night’s 6 plus Hamilton). At some point you need to ask, what is all of this depth for?

Now, the counterpoint, which is valid, would be that you don’t really know how any of them will step up, and you have actually zero games before the trade deadline to see what you have, so I get it. But at the same time, if there were ever a situation to stop Freddie Claesson, who played 37 NHL games last year, from being an AHL scratch by calling up one of your impressive D prospects and saying “show me what you can do”, it’s now.
I love our D depth in Charlotte, but I'd still make a move. Should we suffer another injury or fall out of it, Charlotte guys will get their chances anyways.

We could still call up a Charlotte guy to rotate in some too even if we make a move.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Vatanen will probably be the ideal stop-gap, but with our injuries the price will be sky-high now (probably same with Lehner at G). Now we're faced with TVR as #1RD and Edmundson or BOGO as #2 and inexperienced checker as #3? :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad