Injury Report: Pesce (Shoulder) - "Out Long Term"

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Given the make up of the team currently, I think it makes sense to move Slavin to the right side. He played it a lot in college and is better than any options we have otherwise.

Fleury - Slavin
Gardiner - TvR
Edmondson - callup/cheaptrade
I think he played a fair amount on the right his rookie season too. At least he can if needed.

Reactions: AD Skinner

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
for now I'd go:
Fleury - Slavin (which they rolled last night for a bit)
Gardner - TVR
Edmundson - Checker

See if Fleury's worth keeping around long-term, mitigate the exposure that Bean, Keane, Priskie, McKeown, Forsling, or Kaski would be exposed to. Personally my preference is for Bean or Keane. Time to see what they can be, and of the 6 they're the best skaters of the group so they'd be able to keep up with the pace.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I love our D depth in Charlotte, but I'd still make a move. Should we suffer another injury or fall out of it, Charlotte guys will get their chances anyways.

We could still call up a Charlotte guy to rotate in some too even if we make a move.

Yeah but that’s the situation we’re in right now. So why not just do it?

(Noting that if we give up like a 3rd or below I’m fine, I’m specifically talking about not giving up significant assets for a stopgap.)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
for now I'd go:
Fleury - Slavin (which they rolled last night for a bit)
Gardner - TVR
Edmundson - Checker

See if Fleury's worth keeping around long-term, mitigate the exposure that Bean, Keane, Priskie, McKeown, Forsling, or Kaski would be exposed to. Personally my preference is for Bean or Keane. Time to see what they can be, and of the 6 they're the best skaters of the group so they'd be able to keep up with the pace.
I want Bean or Keane too. They’re my first choices, I just don’t think Rod will want to do it. Not for more than a game or two in a sheltered role if DW forces it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I want Bean or Keane too. They’re my first choices, I just don’t think Rod will want to do it. Not for more than a game or two in a sheltered role if DW forces it.
Yeah that would be the concern, and as far as that goes I'm not sure what the answer is. If Forsling was a RHD he'd be the obvious suggestion. Bean can play the right side which would be an interesting possibility but is Rod going to give him the 12-15 minutes a night they'll need? The only other concern is that we're now down to 4 guys that can be effective PKers, if one of them ends up in the box (something that most certainly will happen) that's trouble. McKeown and Forsling, while not ideal, are probably the more reliable callups.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah that would be the concern, and as far as that goes I'm not sure what the answer is. If Forsling was a RHD he'd be the obvious suggestion. Bean can play the right side which would be an interesting possibility but is Rod going to give him the 12-15 minutes a night they'll need? The only other concern is that we're now down to 4 guys that can be effective PKers, if one of them ends up in the box (something that most certainly will happen) that's trouble. McKeown and Forsling, while not ideal, are probably the more reliable callups.
That’s how I see it going down.

If we get through this without giving Bean a game or two with the season he’s having, I couldn’t blame him for not wanting to play for us any more.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah but that’s the situation we’re in right now. So why not just do it?

(Noting that if we give up like a 3rd or below I’m fine, I’m specifically talking about not giving up significant assets for a stopgap.)
Because we can make a move for the next 24 hours an we can bring Checkers up anytime the rest of the year?

I still think the team can make it and make noise, so I'd take a vet as my first option. No problem if many don't agree.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Who was Fleury paired with down the stretch in Charlotte last year, McKeown or Bean?

I think it was Bean and I’d like to see if they still have chemistry as a way to get Bean acclimated in a time of need.

Reactions: Highway29 and DaveG

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
The most seemingly harmless things can make it happen again. I've dislocated it moving a pillow behind my head. I've dislocated it passing the puck to a teammate. I can certainly believe his shoulder popped out on that play if he's dislocated that one before.

I dislocated mine opening a door once. The recovery and PT really wasn't too bad. It's nice being able to do things without worrying about it happening. I'm sure its on your mind if you're playing with your kids.

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Given Pesce is out and Hamilton is out, McKeown could be called up as an emergency recall without concern of waivers for most of the rest of the season, right? And once the playoffs come around waivers wouldn't be eligible anymore would they?

Righty is a need, I think you call up McKeown on emergency. Can they then call someone else as well, or does that end the emergency?

Or you call up McKeown first on emergency, give him an audition, then rotate in whoever you want to try among Anton Dubinchuk's list.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
First off Brett please get better soon. You are a good dude.

I feel like whoever gets the call up from Charlotte is going to breakout. They just needed a chance.

Pretty sure that it'll be McKeown. I'm still a believer that he can be a very good on an NHL bottom-pairing around the league. If he performs well, he'd be good trade-bait for a mid-round pick.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Ned and Forsberg called up, no dman with them.

Bet we pick someone up tomorrow.

I think they also can't emergency recall a D until they know the extent of Pesce's injury. The goalies both left and are known out so an emergency recall is obvious there.

Who they call up could also depend on who they acquire and whether they acquire anyone.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I wonder if the Canes plan with Bean is to preserve a year of his contract. I thought it was odd they never brought Necas back up last year. Necas will be on his ELC still in the 21-22 season, which wouldn't have been the case if they brought him up last year down the stretch.

Necas or McKegg and 4-8 million in cap space in 21-22.

Bean or whoever plus ??? million in cap space in 22-23.

They do have a lot of options with Priskie, Forsling, Bean, Keane, and Claussen. Forsling seems to be having a pretty well-rounded season statwise with 8g 24p, and +21 to lead the dmen.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad