Rumor: per Harvey: Panthers resign Brad Boyes to multi year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick*

Pretty amazing that there are no details on the contract yet. Considering the source, this might not even be true. How does Harvey have a job, again?:help:

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Really don't care what we spent on boyes.

We are dead last in payroll and can't wait for the day we have cap worries.

But having good contracts is more important than finishing somewhere important! Duh!

Seriously though. People need to start seeing the league for what it is. And start adjusting for inflation. Boyes won't go for less than $4m short, $3.5m long.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Honestly he can be that factor in the shootout for the future. He's so good at the shootout and we've never been strong at it until this year.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
We shouldn't be happy about this for his shootout skill. There probably won't be a shootout in the very near future.

Good deal though. I would say he still has 20-30 goal potential if we get him for 3 mil that's great.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
We will always have cap worries. Let's be realistic.

Don't know if serious or not. If you're not, sorry. But if you are...

We have more ground to cover than anyone else in regards to the cap floor (assuming Viola is a liar like every other owner we've had, which isn't necessarily true).

Now, we can either save our money and throw it at underperforming prospects like Gudbranson and Huberdeau (extreme case: Olesz) or we can bring in talent at market value and make those guys earn their money.

We are talking about spending market value on decent players (what is considered "overpayment" to some here) to hover around and just above the cap floor.

We will be okay if Brad Boyes is signed to a 3 year, $14 million contract. I promise. And I hardly doubt getting a better contract will ever mean anything to us. We will never have true cap issues until this team is actually good enough. And this team will never be good enough unless we start spending market value on market value players.

Cost per player is simply not an issue and won't be for some time to come. You can blabber all about how Chicago is always in cap hell from "bad" contracts or whatever (see Campbell). But all I see is a highly successful franchise that brings in big pieces and moves out big pieces. Meanwhile we bring in small pieces and move out small pieces. Gotta spend money to make money, and in more than just one way.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com

We have more ground to cover than anyone else in regards to the cap floor (assuming Viola is a liar like every other owner we've had, which isn't necessarily true).

Now, we can either save our money and throw it at underperforming prospects like Gudbranson and Huberdeau (extreme case: Olesz) or we can bring in talent at market value and make those guys earn their money.

We are talking about spending market value on decent players (what is considered "overpayment" to some here) to hover around and just above the cap floor.

We will be okay if Brad Boyes is signed to a 3 year, $14 million contract. I promise. And I hardly doubt getting a better contract will ever mean anything to us. We will never have true cap issues until this team is actually good enough. And this team will never be good enough unless we start spending market value on market value players.

Cost per player is simply not an issue and won't be for some time to come. You can blabber all about how Chicago is always in cap hell from "bad" contracts or whatever (see Campbell). But all I see is a highly successful franchise that brings in big pieces and moves out big pieces. Meanwhile we bring in small pieces and move out small pieces. Gotta spend money to make money, and in more than just one way.

I think what people worry about here, myself included, is the "self cap" we impose on ourselves. No doubt we will spend to the cap floor but how much more will Viola be willing to spend after that? I think we need to have good contracts for resigning our own players because our history has shown we cap ourselves after the mandatory floor payroll limit is met.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I think what people worry about here, myself included, is the "self cap" we impose on ourselves. No doubt we will spend to the cap floor but how much more will Viola be willing to spend after that? I think we need to have good contracts for resigning our own players because our history has shown we cap ourselves after the mandatory floor payroll limit is met.

True. But what you're missing here is that the cap is severely inflating next season. By a ton. And at the same time, all of our biggest contracts are expiring.

We have so much to spend that even spending to the cap floor is a lot. We will bring players in on market value. We HAVE to. Brad Boyes is not taking a pay cut of his former market value in a new market where he is worth a good 1-2m more.

Just like the silly people saying they wouldn't pay 7m for Vanek. 7m is the new 5m. Go do the math. If you think Vanek is worth 5m a year or two ago, he's now worth 7m. Get over it. You will never have a player his caliber for 5m anymore.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

The team has to spend more than ever before, get players to sign here by overpaying them, win more games to retain young core players down the road and MAKE money off the team or come out close to even. More money lost, more problems moving forward with new ownership. They need to start to stabilize the shaky fan base and bring in the bandwagon fans at a higher rate by putting a winning product on the ice<<<<<.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Was kinda excited about the prospect of re-signing Boyes but with no further news other than a vague tweet from Harvey is it even a realistic thing at this point?

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
@GeorgeRichards
Dale Tallon said he's made an offer, spoke to agent for Brad Boyes today. #FlaPanthers

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
So Harvey reports we signed him (or at least that we are close to doing so) when all we did was offer. :laugh:

Boyes isn't going to lay down and resign for a mil a year again or whatever we gave him. He is going to want money and he has earned it. Who knows what we offered him. Harvey is ridiculously laughable as a beat reporter.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) tweeted at 4:24 PM on Tue, Mar 04, 2014: Brad Boyes agrees to terms on 2 year deal with FLA. $2.625M AAV.

Great deal. Great value for a top 9 forward. No problems here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad