Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This is hilarious. Most of our media is in place. You're going to be disappointed if you think they won't fabricate a new narrative with our goalies. Goalie controversy is the easiest subject for a lazy journalist.

Sure, but Mason certainly made it easy on them.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Mason was one of TSN's skyped interviews. He said he enjoyed playing for the Flyers and the atmosphere at the WFC was one of the best in the league.

What's the over/under for reported issues with Elliott? I'm going to set it at 12 games into the season.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If Mason only had problems here in Philly, I could be more sympathetic to his complaints. However his scene here had similarities to what he experienced in Columbus. It's a pattern that looks like he's good but has issues that can be problematic for an organization.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
So Mason pitched a fit over the way the goalies were handled this year and said a team has to name a true number 1 goalie to be successful. Fast forward a couple of months and he signs with a team who has a young goalie with two years of NHL experience and a lot of talent who will be pushing him for starts. :amazed:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So Mason pitched a fit over the way the goalies were handled this year and said a team has to name a true number 1 goalie to be successful. Fast forward a couple of months and he signs with a team who has a young goalie with two years of NHL experience and a lot of talent who will be pushing him for starts. :amazed:

Well, when you run out of options...

Could be that it ended up as two choices, WPG or come back to Philly.

If it was his side that cut ties, then he doesn't want to come crawling back.
If it was Hextall that cut ties, then there wasn't even the option.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Mason was one of TSN's skyped interviews. He said he enjoyed playing for the Flyers and the atmosphere at the WFC was one of the best in the league.

What's the over/under for reported issues with Elliott? I'm going to set it at 12 games into the season.

I roll with December.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
So other than season ending interview, re all this Mason's locker room issues. Was it reported by someone or is it just a speculation on our part?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In the end, Mason did not take a pay cut like lots thought he would have to. He was the best FA goalie out there, and signed for over 1.25 more than anyone else.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well the Jets gave Kulikov 4.33 per so maybe not the best barometer of who was the best out there.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
In the end, Mason did not take a pay cut like lots thought he would have to. He was the best FA goalie out there, and signed for over 1.25 more than anyone else.

after listening to Mases phone interview in the Jets forum thread. it seems clear he had multiple teams interested and there was no chance on Mase staying in Philly.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Mason wanted guarantees in Philly....well for his sake he better hope he got them in Winnipeg. Right now the only guarantee is that he will freezing his butt off there..

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

I actually thought he would get a little bit more money than he did, but I am not surprised he got so little term.

One thing that became crystal clear today and seemed obvious to me since the end of the season. Mason and the Flyers had a fractured relationship and neither side wanted to continue it. Mason is in no better a position financially nor in terms of being proclaimed the true number 1 goalie in Winnipeg. For the Flyers they could have easily afforded the contract Mason got, and ended up downgrading a little bit in the process with Brian Elliott.

Mason had a lot of ups and downs in four seasons as the Flyers goalie but there were definitely more ups than downs. I do think he is a bit drama queen and fragile mentally, but at the same time he definitely has talent and I wish him no ill will what so ever. That being said, he is officially no longer a Flyers so I really don't care how his career ends up moving forward whether it be bad or good. My focus is on the players on this team and this organization and he isn't a part of that anymore so it's time to turn the page.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I actually thought he would get a little bit more money than he did, but I am not surprised he got so little term.

One thing that became crystal clear today and seemed obvious to me since the end of the season. Mason and the Flyers had a fractured relationship and neither side wanted to continue it. Mason is in no better a position financially nor in terms of being proclaimed the true number 1 goalie in Winnipeg. For the Flyers they could have easily afforded the contract Mason got, and ended up downgrading a little bit in the process with Brian Elliott.

Mason had a lot of ups and downs in four seasons as the Flyers goalie but there were definitely more ups than downs. I do think he is a bit drama queen and fragile mentally, but at the same time he definitely has talent and I wish him no ill will what so ever. That being said, he is officially no longer a Flyers so I really don't care how his career ends up moving forward whether it be bad or good. My focus is on the players on this team and this organization and he isn't a part of that anymore so it's time to turn the page.

Everything there is fair to say.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Well said. Whatever happens with him is on him. He's not a Flyer so he's off of my chart of interest.
I can say that he blew it here. Philly is dying for the next Bernie or Pelle. Mason has some of the physical attributes to have become that guy. For whatever reason that didn't happen.
Stardom is earned; unless you're Crosby, it's not bestowed upon a player. There are some serious flaws in his game that he never worked out. It happened in Columbus and here. Probably will reoccur in Winnipeg unless he drops the DQ act and toughens up between the ears. However I really don't care what a Jet goalie does until they play the Flyers. Then I hope that they beat his butt.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
mase was here during a "rebuilding" phase, not easy for anybody, his attitude at times made it worse like only he was affected.
Time to turn the page.

Gonna be cool to watch which young Dman hopefully steps up and earns a spot with the big team, Provorov's continued ascension and maybe a scorer emerges.....should be interesting

:cheers:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
While Mason certainly could have upped hid game... as all humans can... it is sad to think what could have been, given the right time and circumstances.

IMO, had he been used properly... in a manner that maximized both the Goalie and the Team... so that he could both carry the Team, when required, and not been run to the ground... and had the Team as a whole not had their collective heads up their that rumps for great stretches of the Season... and the Coach had coached more wisely... no telling what may have happened over the past four Seasons.

The old saying that you cannot have your cake and eat it to, to me describes the Goalie situation in Philadelphia... Mason was the new millennium's version on the Phillies 1964 Bunning and Short... or the 1993 Mitch Williams in a better analogy... he was overused and then vilified for coming up empty when needed most. We will never know know if the Flyers would have made the PostSeason had Mason not been run out there Game in and Game out... But IMO a better used Mason could have fared much better against the Caps... albeit it was also the Flyers' PK that let them down.

I believe that having a Backup... or 1B... who was able to stay reasonably healthy would have gone a long way in giving the Flyers a better chance to succeed.

The Flyers GM was a talented Goalie... so it's sad to see the way they are handled the Position... Seems like the Flyers sold their soul when Bernie won backstopped them to two Cups... Since those Cups they have been cursed at the position;

Bernie's 1976 injury and later his eye injury.

Pete Peters in general.

Pelle's tragedy.

Hexy's groins.

Chec-maniac's meltdown.

2010 PO Goalie injuries.

Leighton's disastrous SCF and the phantom CWG.

The Goalie Carousel.

Bryzgalov's signing.

Bob's trade demand.

Emery's injuries.

Neuvy's inability to stay on the ice.

Misuse of Goalies by Hakstol.

... What have I missed?

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I thought it was kind of interesting how Hextall said "his teammates want to play in front of him" when describing Elliott. Don't know if that was a shot at Mason or not

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
While Mason certainly could have upped hid game... as all humans can... it is sad to think what could have been, given the right time and circumstances.

IMO, had he been used properly... in a manner that maximized both the Goalie and the Team... so that he could both carry the Team, when required, and not been run to the ground... and had the Team as a whole not had their collective heads up their that rumps for great stretches of the Season... and the Coach had coached more wisely... no telling what may have happened over the past four Seasons.

The old saying that you cannot have your cake and eat it to, to me describes the Goalie situation in Philadelphia... Mason was the new millennium's version on the Phillies 1964 Bunning and Short... or the 1993 Mitch Williams in a better analogy... he was overused and then vilified for coming up empty when needed most. We will never know know if the Flyers would have made the PostSeason had Mason not been run out there Game in and Game out... But IMO a better used Mason could have fared much better against the Caps... albeit it was also the Flyers' PK that let them down.

I believe that having a Backup... or 1B... who was able to stay reasonably healthy would have gone a long way in giving the Flyers a better chance to succeed.

The Flyers GM was a talented Goalie... so it's sad to see the way they are handled the Position... Seems like the Flyers sold their soul when Bernie won backstopped them to two Cups... Since those Cups they have been cursed at the position;

Bernie's 1976 injury and later his eye injury.

Pete Peters in general.

Pelle's tragedy.

Hexy's groins.

Chec-maniac's meltdown.

2010 PO Goalie injuries.

Leighton's disastrous SCF and the phantom CWG.

The Goalie Carousel.

Bryzgalov's signing.

Bob's trade demand.

Emery's injuries.

Neuvy's inability to stay on the ice.

Misuse of Goalies by Hakstol.

... What have I missed?

Jeff Hackett's vertigo lol

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Mason did a pretty good job here but I never cared for his attitude all that much. Seemed kind of whiny. I may be wrong but always suspected that he lacks mental toughness.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm already mentally prepared for the Flyers to lose to the Jets next year and then have to avoid this board for a week. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad