Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes. Mason had a concussion. Because of cap tightness, he agreed to act as backup but was not supposed to play. Knowing that, Berube pulled whoever it was (can't remember) early in the game and put Mason in. Reese was furious and ended up leaving the organization shortly thereafter, probably for describing Berube's integrity and intelligence the way we all would - total idiot and moron - for putting Mason's long term health at risk for no good reason.

Mason was coming back from knee surgery, not a concussion. But that story about Reese blowing up at Berube which came from Seravalli, has been confirmed as false by Bill Meltzer.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=145365&page=8

Jeff Reese never had a confrontation with Craig Berube over Mason's return from the knee injury. The story that Frank Seravalli reported was wrong.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Larry is talking about the same incident, he just has the injury wrong.

I didn't like what Berube did that night against Toronto, but I'll take Meltzer's word on what happened afterward over Seravalli's any day of the week, and twice on Saturday's.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"He also said he was experiencing headaches until the night before Game 4, according to the Philadelphia Daily News, meaning his relief appearance in Game 3 came while he was still experiencing concussion-like symptoms."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/playoffs/20...concussion-kept-start-new-york-rangers-series

Naw....Mason wasn't ever mishandled, he is selfish.

:shakehead

Anyways, good luck on the Jets. Helle will have to up his game to overtake Mason.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140507_NHL_still_losing_the_concussion_game.html

The whole "Mason wasn't fully ready" narrative really didn't come out of nowhere. His "recovery" was oddly fast.

And the Feb 26 mismanagement that preceded Reese leaving is here: that's very, very, very curious timing if Bill is right. Like, almost impossible to believe it wasn't a factor.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...aging_their_greatest_asset_-_Steve_Mason.html

You missed one:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...-Jeff-Reese-leaves-organization-abruptly.html

"According to multiple sources, Reese was peeved that Mason relieved starter Rob Zepp after two goals, since Mason was told that day he would not play unless Zepp sustained serious injury."

"Sources said Mason was given that word by the team, asking him to suit up because the team had salary cap issues and could not afford another backup goaltender for the game."

Mason limped out of Air Canada Centre that night to the team’s bus.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We spend all this time talking about how **** our beats are... but then we're going to believe Sielski and Seravalli over Meltzer?

Come on...

And Mason even said himself...
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...-Jeff-Reese-leaves-organization-abruptly.html
Two days later, Mason said after the team’s pre-game skate in Toronto: “I’d be able to go in there and do the job, but I hope it doesn’t come to that. The game is not there yet. I haven’t had a good skate yet because of the schedule.â€Â

So he'd be rusty, but not at risk or still injured.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he wasn't ready?

That he's making progress, feeling better, and hopes to be ready soon. Players say that all the time.

But explicitly saying he could play... seems pretty clear.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We need to separate the fact that Berube did something stupid, with what Reese did or didn't do in response.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
More from Meltzer when he was asked what happened:

Not at liberty to say. Something happened internally but not what Frank reported. It is irrelevant now, anyway. Fences were subsequently mended.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'll trust Meltzer over those idiots beats, obviously.

This is why you can't assume things and then take it as fact, you never know the whole story.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Scot Darling, Mike Condon (LOL) and Bishop cashed in this year. Other than that goalies didn't make much this offseason.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
good luck to Steve Mason..

until its proven otherwise im blaming #Hakslogic for this fiasco..

guess im going to follow the Jets abit this season to see how Mason fares there

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I do agree with GFH that the split likely isn't with poor feelings. Whatever happened under Berube shouldve left with him. Neither goalie has much reason to complain about Hakstol. While we would like for him to manage the goalies well, I doubt either one objected to him playing them for long stretches...they likely want to play, hence why it's up to the coach to be the adult and use them wisely.

Just a case of incompatible desires.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I do agree with GFH that the split likely isn't with poor feelings. Whatever happened under Berube shouldve left with him. Neither goalie has much reason to complain about Hakstol. While we would like for him to manage the goalies well, I doubt either one objected to him playing them for long stretches...they likely want to play, hence why it's up to the coach to be the adult and use them wisely.

Just a case of incompatible desires.

going to complain about the coaches handling the goaltending no matter what. its either too much or not enough. only one that I would be critical of Hakstol for was when Nuevy went down and Mason played too much and Stolarz only got one start(or was it 2).
putting all the blame on Hakstol is just blind stupid reasoning.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
For me the chapter Steve Mason is closed now. Don't care about what he does in Winnipeg. He never was one of the more likeable players that I would continue following after they left the Flyers.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
goodbye soap opera and all the drama that unnecessarily went with it.....

:shakehead

This is hilarious. Most of our media is in place. You're going to be disappointed if you think they won't fabricate a new narrative with our goalies. Goalie controversy is the easiest subject for a lazy journalist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad