Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well we already have a few of them and they're all guaranteed to become starters (since goalie is such an easily scouted position, with such a linear development path), so why draft players who have no spot!?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
But we still have people complaining about drafting goalies.

I just woke up and saw the rumor about Elliot and someone posted the average age of starters when they take the reins. It makes me want to draft even more goalies lol. I don't know why, since drafting more won't hurry anything up, but it was my first reaction. It is a long-ass wait and I am ready, like, now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just woke up and saw the rumor about Elliot and someone posted the average age of starters when they take the reins. It makes me want to draft even more goalies lol. I don't know why, since drafting more won't hurry anything up, but it was my first reaction. It is a long-ass wait and I am ready, like, now.

Just keeping drafting one a year. It doesn't have to be high either. You can dip outside the CHL & get a guy elsewhere with longer signing window that you can just leave alone elsewhere for 3-5 years.

The kid they took last weekend they can stash him there in Russia until his 27 if they really wanted to for example. They obviously won't if he shows he has the goods these next 3-4 years but the option does exist.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Just keeping drafting one a year. It doesn't have to be high either. You can dip outside the CHL & get a guy elsewhere with longer signing window that you can just leave alone elsewhere for 3-5 years.

The kid they took last weekend they can stash him there in Russia until his 27 if they really wanted to for example. They obviously won't if he shows he has the goods these next 3-4 years but the option does exist.

Yeah, I am happy with what they are doing. It is just hard to always be this patient, LoD :laugh:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And even Murray got almost 2 full years in the AHL. And that was on the fast track from prospect to NHL starter. Many guys need another year in the AHL or a season or two as a backup. Makes you think about Carter Hart, who is as mature on and off the ice as any goalie prospect. He still could be 3 years away from being in the NHL, not even as a starter necessarily.

I do wonder if the fact that Ustimenko could develop in Russia for several years played a factor in weighting him pretty high, not to say they didn't believe in his talent, but just an added factor that maybe bumped him up. Next year you could have Sandstrom and Hart in the AHL, and they're our best prospects. They'll need time. We'll see in the next year or two if Tomek is a real prospect again, but his timeline is in the distance regardless. The thought of Ustimenko spending an additional non-junior aged year or two abroad helps the jam.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
It's not enough to strip him of the C. He must be removed from the team. Also, anyone who has been on the team more than 3 years also needs to be removed from the team, because they're obviously no good either. Hopefully, we'll be able to get some mid rounds picks out of it.

and trade him to the Pens for 3rd line duties.

He'll happily waive his nmc to play behind #87 and #71.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Hey Philly...

Jets fan coming in peace..

Our local paper is reporting Mason signed with us.

What kind of goalie are we getting?

Last year his save percentage was ugly but the three previous years he looked well above average..

thanks..

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hey Philly...

What kind go goalie are we getting?

Last year his save percentage was ugly but the three previous years he looked well above average..

thanks..

Hes good. When he gets hot he can carry a team. Struggles with consistency. Can be temperamental at times.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Hey Philly...

What kind go goalie are we getting?

thanks..

Have you ever heard the parable of the six blind men who described an elephant? Be prepared for a wide variety of responses.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
i am a little concerned about his reputation....heard he can be selfish....any truth to that?...ready for a wide variety of opinion.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
i am a little concerned about his reputation....heard he can be selfish....any truth to that?...ready for a wide variety of opinion.

I think his former coach in Columbus called him the most entitled player he's ever seen, or something close to that. He gets pissy if he's not the guy, then he *****es that he's playing too many minutes, and he tries to sink anyone who he feels threatened by.

With that being said, he's very good when he's on his game, he usually is on his game, and he and a coaching change would probably get you guys on a deep playoff run, IMO.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

As you can see just from the small sample on this page, he divides opinion something fierce :laugh: I don't like him personally for a lot of reasons, but some guys on here that I really trust really do like him, so I don't know what to think. I trust the hockey knowledge these guys have, but I also trust my experience when it comes to both playing sports and watching hockey for four decades, and there are things that he has done which don't sit right with me, which set off red flags - things that are not dependent on the reportage of our terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible beat writers. I'm not going to go into those things because our board will implode - we have been over them a million times. I hope I am wrong, or that he feels more settled with you, because I like you guys and I want you to do well.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Mason has the air of a petulant, spoiled kid.

He's an intelligent guy and a talented athlete with terrific size, but drama surrounds him -- seems like there's always something wrong, or some kind of excuse if things aren't going well.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

You are getting a very good goalie. He has ticked off fans by occasionally being honest with the media. You will love having him throw the team on his back and carry you to the playoffs.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Mason is a starter. Solid guy. Spent most of his time in Philly bailing out a putrid defense but aside from Quaterback, goaltender is the most thankless position in this city.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Was there ever any proof of that?

Or was that something that got assumed and repeated so much it was accepted as truth?

Yes. Mason had a concussion. Because of cap tightness, he agreed to act as backup but was not supposed to play. Knowing that, Berube pulled whoever it was (can't remember) early in the game and put Mason in. Reese was furious and ended up leaving the organization shortly thereafter, probably for describing Berube's integrity and intelligence the way we all would - total idiot and moron - for putting Mason's long term health at risk for no good reason.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes. Mason had a concussion. Because of cap tightness, he agreed to act as backup but was not supposed to play. Knowing that, Berube pulled whoever it was (can't remember) early in the game and put Mason in. Reese was furious and ended up leaving the organization shortly thereafter, probably for describing Berube's integrity and intelligence the way we all would - total idiot and moron - for putting Mason's long term health at risk for no good reason.

I know what people guessed happened, I asked if there was any proof or if it was just speculation.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

It was a game against Toronto. Rob Zepp was the starter and after he gave up three goals, Berube pulled him for Mason, who had just had his meniscus operated on. He wasn't supposed to start or even play, but Berube wanted the playoff spot instead of doing what was right for Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad