Pepsi Center renamed to Ball Arena

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What does ball has to do with puck?
Corporate name is a corporate name. That is how it is there days. Nuggets and Avs share the arena, so name works for the NBA team.

Always nice to have a good sounding arena name, but in the end, it's just a name.

Currently, what is the longest tenure for a corporate name in the NHL? I think it's the United Center in Chicago or if not them, then Staples Center in LA.

So, arena names will turn over as time passes. When a sponsor's 10, 15, or 20 year agreement runs out, someone else is likely willing to pay more for it.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It sounds weird, but it's actually a pretty good name.
Short and clear, better than something like PPG Paints Arena or Wells Fargo Center
Works better for basketball though

Reactions: Galactico

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm curious to know if they got a better deal or pepsi pulled out?
Wonder if this is just one of the mini after shocks of pro sports taking a hit from covid.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
It's a puck, but I quess most of the people in the world would call it rather ball so smart international name.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
that's neat but everyone will still call it the pepsi center
No they won't. Commentators are contractually obligated to say the correct name and it ends up sticking. That is, unless the previous name was so iconic or generic as to be easily continued. Pepsi is just another corporate sponsor.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
No they won't. Commentators are contractually obligated to say the correct name and it ends up sticking. That is, unless the previous name was so iconic or generic as to be easily continued. Pepsi is just another corporate sponsor.
i'm sure the nhl and commentators will use the name right. that wasn't what i meant. i'm referencing fans. i bet i still call it the pepsi center when i go and my friends probably will too. i still refer to the current blues rink ('the enterprise center') as the kiel center because of habit. if someone wants to pay me too, i'm sure i could get the name right, but until then old habits die hard even with change.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
i'm sure the nhl and commentators will use the name right. that wasn't what i meant. i'm referencing fans. i bet i still call it the pepsi center when i go and my friends probably will too. i still refer to the current blues rink ('the enterprise center') as the kiel center because of habit. if someone wants to pay me too, i'm sure i could get the name right, but until then old habits die hard even with change.

I knew what you were saying. I am saying that once the new name gets to be commonly spoken by broadcasters most people tend to follow along. In the end none of this matters but I promise you that young fans will call it the new name.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It took at least 6 or 7 years for me to stop calling Rogers Arena GM Place.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
brawl2.jpg

Things are getting a little testy here in the Ball Arena!!

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad