mural2_3214904a.jpg

Last edited:

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
"Down 4-0 going into the third, the Avs find themselves in a bit of a pickle."

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
In conjunction with the new name, all future Colorado Avalanche home games will feature a beach ball instead of a puck.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
No, that name is also stupid.

The team/oVG wanted to be so anti-cooperate arena name and this is what they went with. They bragged about being anti-cooperate arena name when it got announced. So yea be careful of what you wish for when wanting non cooperate names.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Makes me appreciate just how much we lucked out with Nationwide Arena.

Never thought I'd be so happy to have an arena named after a paint brand, but this is the world we live in now. Oi.

The mason jar company? I mean, they're a good product but they're kinda meant to be the thing you buy four of once and then use for decades unless you're, like, pickling peppers or something...in which case I swear I've only ever seen Ball's mason jars on store shelves so I'm not sure it's a brand that even needs advertised. Their aerospace stuff is irrelevant here...there's a reason it's PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh and not simply PPG Arena...that reason being that hockey fans are infinitely more likely to buy paint than industrial-strength glass products. I have mason jars in my cupboard (Ball's distinct logo imprinted onto their sides), but avionics isn't going to be on any shopping list for anyone here anytime soon. This is just a weird one in general, though it wouldn't feel out of place amidst the NBA's long list of utterly random naming rights of the past couple decades.

The fact Denver now has Ball Arena and Dick's Sporting Goods Park is just too good, though. At least Ball is locally based.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The team/oVG wanted to be so anti-cooperate arena name and this is what they went with. They bragged about being anti-cooperate arena name when it got announced. So yea be careful of what you wish for when wanting non cooperate names.

Amazon felt that a virtuous slogan was better for business than smearing their logo feces across the front of a building. I don't think that's anti-corporate at all, they just wanted to make it appear as though it is.

MSG, Fenway, Old Trafford and Lambeau field are the sort of names I like, not masturbatory nonsense like Climate Change Pledge.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
why would an aerospace manufacturer spends millions advertising to sports fans? I dont get.

Spend money on advertising and reduce your annual net income and thus tax burden? Vanity? I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad