Is Sid no longer awesome?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
to all the desmith haters; (and justifiably so) with us being so tight against the cap. you better start praying that he turns it around because there is a 90% chance or higher that he will still be here come playoffs

Our coach has basically yanked him in less than 20 minutes in his last two starts no? Our AHL goalie has played above him. Dude is toast:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m not even going to mention who’s blog this was from because I get accused of being his doppelgänger lol…but he’s right…

“Outside of DeSmith the other lowlight for the Penguins has been Kasperi Kapanen. I don’t know what to do with him. He is a very limited player, albeit with some specialized talent. The problem is and always will be he cannot consistently unlock those talents because of the other weaknesses in his game. There was a sequence last night that looked completely out of the ordinary for him and I was left impressed by it. It was when he was circling up near the blue line in the offensive zone showing poise and making clever passes to his teammates. So many times he just has tunnel vision and works off of the rush. I thought it was one of the best sequences of the year for him. The problem is these sequences seem like they are as tough to spot as a unicorn or Bigfoot. It is not the norm. Mike Sullivan is clearly frustrated [cites tweet from Yohe re Kap being demoted from Geno’s line for second time in less than a week]

I would have no problem moving on from Kapanen and just handing his cap hit over to Evan Rodrigues after the season. I wouldn’t even have an issue trying to move him during this season if there was a way to find a winger upgrade elsewhere.”

Accuse is such a harsh word. We're just celebrating the success of your side hustle.

I feel like there's a ton of focus on Kappy yet he still has 7 points in the last 9, 5 of them at 5v5. I'd agree he doesn't look magic but who does in the top 6 right now? They're all playing shinny right now and while he might be the easy move to make to spark things, I don't think he's doing a lot dramatically different from them. And I might be alone but I don't think the ERod version of Geno's line looked much better.

I'm beginning to think Kapanen gets moved this summer. He ticks a lot of the boxes for likely move - coach doesn't love him, nobody in the front office (bar Allvin) has any reputation riding on him, due a pay rise, could fetch a return to a future starved org. I'm not sure it would be the right move. Like Carter, I think a great last season means people are a lot more focused on the way he's not meeting expectations than the way he is.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I would have no problem moving on from Kapanen and just handing his cap hit over to Evan Rodrigues after the season. I wouldn’t even have an issue trying to move him during this season if there was a way to find a winger upgrade elsewhere.”

I would. I think Erod is more of a mirage do too ice time and PP time. Unless erod gets an expanded role he is not worth that.

Since Geno came back in the last 7 games
Erod 0pts -2
Kap 6pts 0

I think Kap passes erod in pts this year while getting the Sullivan treatment. He gets demoted before anyone else. Kap has lots of flaws but hes a better raw talent than Erod.

Problem is Erod is better at center and Kap is better with a faster center like erod. Things Sullivan will never try.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Hextall might have to cough up a decent draft pick to find a goalie before the deadline. I really have no desire to wait two months before we make a move at the deadline. Not landing a goalie this summer was a big mistake.

Maybe not. MAF and the Hawks have an agreement that he only moves to a team he wants.

Cmon down Flower, we miss you!

We're six points back of Florida now, but otherwise this is still true:

Less is more for the Pens. It’s crazy but it works.

I would. I think Erod is more of a mirage do too ice time and PP time. Unless erod gets an expanded role he is not worth that.

Erod 0pts -2
Kap 6pts 0

I think Kap passes erod in pts this year while getting the Sullivan treatment. He gets demoted before anyone else. Kap has lots of flaws but hes a better raw talent than Erod.

Problem is Erod is better at center and Kap is better with a faster center like erod. Things Sullivan will never try.

Starting to feel this way too. Ever since he was put on Sids wing he’s gone ice cold. Love what he did for us at the start, but it’s more looking like a flash in the pan.

Reactions: Darren McCord

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I’m not even going to mention who’s blog this was from because I get accused of being his doppelgänger lol…but he’s right…

“Outside of DeSmith the other lowlight for the Penguins has been Kasperi Kapanen. I don’t know what to do with him. He is a very limited player, albeit with some specialized talent. The problem is and always will be he cannot consistently unlock those talents because of the other weaknesses in his game. There was a sequence last night that looked completely out of the ordinary for him and I was left impressed by it. It was when he was circling up near the blue line in the offensive zone showing poise and making clever passes to his teammates. So many times he just has tunnel vision and works off of the rush. I thought it was one of the best sequences of the year for him. The problem is these sequences seem like they are as tough to spot as a unicorn or Bigfoot. It is not the norm. Mike Sullivan is clearly frustrated [cites tweet from Yohe re Kap being demoted from Geno’s line for second time in less than a week]

he is more time right than wrong, people don't like him for his sometimes political takes...from the hockey takes IMO he is up there for these guys that follow Pens (super low bar but still)...so don't be ashamed:laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Erod 0pts -2
Kap 6pts 0

I think ERod is will get back to this. I compare this to what happened to McCann last year...he was brilliant on PP, and centering his own line, similarly they were taken off of the PP and put on wing and it just kills them...I think playing with Carter killed him, last night when he was brought up with Geno, he was buzzing...I wish Carter would be be benched for a few games and let ERod carry that third line.....lets see what happens next few games,

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Accuse is such a harsh word. We're just celebrating the success of your side hustle.

I feel like there's a ton of focus on Kappy yet he still has 7 points in the last 9, 5 of them at 5v5. I'd agree he doesn't look magic but who does in the top 6 right now? They're all playing shinny right now and while he might be the easy move to make to spark things, I don't think he's doing a lot dramatically different from them. And I might be alone but I don't think the ERod version of Geno's line looked much better.

I'm beginning to think Kapanen gets moved this summer. He ticks a lot of the boxes for likely move - coach doesn't love him, nobody in the front office (bar Allvin) has any reputation riding on him, due a pay rise, could fetch a return to a future starved org. I'm not sure it would be the right move. Like Carter, I think a great last season means people are a lot more focused on the way he's not meeting expectations than the way he is.

I'd also be hesitant to assume E-Rod can duplicate this season again. Kapanen may have a cap at how good he is, but he's shown over multiple seasons he can be in the 40+ point range. E-Rod's been a 4th liner for every season except this one. Banking on the latter being able to consistently produce 40+ points going forward seems risky.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think ERod is will get back to this. I compare this to what happened to McCann last year...he was brilliant on PP, and centering his own line, similarly they were taken off of the PP and put on wing and it just kills them...I think playing with Carter killed him, last night when he was brought up with Geno, he was buzzing...I wish Carter would be be benched for a few games and let ERod carry that third line.....lets see what happens next few games,

Why are we prioritising the guy with 0 points in 7 over the guy with 7 in 7?

I'd also be hesitant to assume E-Rod can duplicate this season again. Kapanen may have a cap at how good he is, but he's shown over multiple seasons he can be in the 40+ point range. E-Rod's been a 4th liner for every season except this one. Banking on the latter being able to consistently produce 40+ points going forward seems risky.

I feel like ERod's shown he can be a solid 3rd liner often enough but yeah, prioritising his one god season over Kapanen?

Even if I agreed with it, you've got to ask whether ERod is the answer to the top 6, or getting the best possible 3C, something where we've got a ton of options...

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Erod is completely different than McCann. He will be 29 this summer. This is his peak while McCann is entering his. It was a hot run and he's getting back to whats normal. He has done an awesome job filling in but hes not that player normally.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Erod is completely different than McCann. He will be 29 this summer. This is his peak while McCann is entering his. It was a hot run and he's getting back to whats normal. He has done an awesome job filling in but hes not that player normally.
Yeah, at this point I would let another team overpay for him or maybe even trade him at the trade deadline for a defenseman. I'd love to upgrade on Ruhwedel before the playoffs.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Halak has got a weird bonus structure going on that'll eat in to next year's cap space. And a NTC, I believe.

Lindberg is hurt but looked dang good in the games I got to see him play in. Same with Domingue (at the start of the WBS season), but he's hurt now... One thing that I didn't like about Domingue's game in WBS was that he was overzealous in handling the puck. And he's not that good at it.

He was quite overzealous with handling the puck in the game he played up with the Penguins as well.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

Carter deserves some time off and has been nowhere near where he was last year. PIT generally loses when he's been on the ice and notice where the "PIT" is with both him on the ice and off the ice below. We will need him, but we will need him at full health and well rested. Also Zohorna is a much better winger who is left off the roster for "reasons".

carteje85

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How so? It's unlikely we're going to overpay him for basically 30 games of decent production. I'd rather get a top 4 RHD and have Zohorna replace ERod in the lineup.

trading Rodrigues drops us to basically three RH shots in the line up.

he’s been an effective forward for us in all situations and is having a slow stretch. We are trying to win. If we move anyone on the forward roster it should be ZAR, not the million dollar forward who has 30 pts in half a season.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
trading Rodrigues drops us to basically three RH shots in the line up.

he’s been an effective forward for us in all situations and is having a slow stretch. We are trying to win. If we move anyone on the forward roster it should be ZAR, not the million dollar forward who has 30 pts in half a season.
I guess we'll find out if it's a slow stretch for him or if he made the most of an opportunity with all the injuries and is now back to producing at a 4th line pace like he has done for the better part of his career.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess we'll find out if it's a slow stretch for him or if he made the most of an opportunity with all the injuries and is now back to producing at a 4th line pace like he has done for the better part of his career.

Reassuring to know that we've put that injury-prone label behind us for good and can look forward to a healthy roster the rest of the way.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Add to the fact that goalies were getting ridiculous offers the past off-season so we held put.

Jarry panned out/DeSmith didn't.

This is obvious overreaction but I wouldn't expect anything less. If something doesn't happen by deadline then you can overreact.
Let’s be serious, if sleepy doesn’t find an NHL backup goalie, he will get a free pass because prices will be too high or something.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, at this point I would let another team overpay for him or maybe even trade him at the trade deadline for a defenseman. I'd love to upgrade on Ruhwedel before the playoffs.

I wouldn't trade him. No way. He is great depth and I would honestly play him over rust on the pp. He is the type of player teams add for depth at the deadline not trade away. ZAR should be moved for an upgrade.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
As has been explained to you several times, patience was a virtue with our goalie situation. As many people were calling for Jarry's head as DeSmith's, so the smart play was to wait it out and see if either could find their footing.

Hextall did that, and that patience has paid off handsomely with Jarry.

So we've got Jarry, the Carter trade, Rodrigues, McGinn, and Heinen who have all worked out really well this year. The one thing that hasn't is that the backup goalie has struggled.

The schtick of fixating on that one calculated gamble that hasn't worked out when there's still lots of time for it to be addressed or fix itself is goofy.
You forgot donating McCann, signing Simon, and qualifying ZAR.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Carter should be moved to TB's wing. Lessen his responsibility.

Jake - Sid - Rust
Heinen - Geno - Kap
McGinn - TB - Carter
Simon - Erod - Boyle

Healthy

Jake - Sid - Rust
Zucker - Geno - Kap
McGinn - TB - Carter
Doc - Erod - Heinen

Reactions: Genetic
Status
Not open for further replies.