Post-Game Talk: Pens win 6-1 bc of me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ye some best picks overall he completely avoided.

I honestly thought there top 9 looked good. Some headscratchers and they have a bad defense especially with Giordano out.
Basically making Larsson your #1 D.

Well all 3 Seattle goalies are bottom 20 in save% and GAA with Grubauer having the best between the 3.

So I am going to say this is more about Seattle being poor then all 3 goalies.

Seattle is proof that using analytics to "project roster success" still has a long way to go.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
That meme with Wolverine and the photo only it's Kapanen with this:

images

Interestingly, the Pens still have some obscenely low ratio of goals to expected, worst in the league at last check, so, yeah, it supports the fact that they have been getting chances and not finishing. It's also the kind of thing that typically normalizes so while there's no threat of reenacting 1993 and while it won't fix the fact that the top 6 has some wingers that uh, could be doing a bit better, it should improve.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I went to bed at 10, but then woke up wide awake at 3:40. Guess I'll just stay up for the future late games.

And from the highlights, it looked like DOC played well. His minus was just because he came on the ice for Crosby as Eberle was putting the puck in the net.

I hope ZAR is scratched instead of DOC.
otherwise known as Geno's special

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Happy about a regulation win. Best thing about this game IMO was CDS’ performance. Would be great if he could put together a few more like this.

Rest up for a few days, then hopefully not tank against the Caps.

Hold on, I thought we were trading CDS for picks because he's garbage?

All snark aside, this is who CDS is: he's going to look decent some nights and other nights he's going to look like a barely capable ECHL tendy.
So I'll laugh heartily at all the posters who clutch their pearls and insist he's not to be let on the plane back home when he stinks it up in a mid-January game.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think ZAR has a cheering section so much as he has folks who think he maybe has more value than a crash test dummy wearing Matt Bradley cosplay, as the seeming majority does.

As a veteran of the CORSI Wars I can't help but disagree.

But no I think a lot of people had... ulterior motives... when it came to defending ZAR. It was never about the player I think but what he was kind of a totem for.

This is the year he finally wins the Selke.

About time. This charade has gone on long enough.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
As a veteran of the CORSI Wars I can't help but disagree.

But no I think a lot of people had... ulterior motives... when it came to defending ZAR. It was never about the player I think but what he was kind of a totem for.

That's a fair cop and undoubtedly true. People who swear at the alter of data and refuse to acknowledge other tools are just as bad as the crusty fogeys who do the oppo.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's a fair cop and undoubtedly true. People who swear at the alter of data and refuse to acknowledge other tools are just as bad as the crusty fogeys who do the oppo.

I figure it has to be infuriating sometimes as a big proponent of advanced statistics and their merit... the old crusty onion-on-their-belt wearers, I mean. So I can understand frustrated pushback.

To me it's just more data. Taken within the understanding that models are still evolving and to balance this new data with prior knowledge of the sport I don't see how anyone can have a real problem with it. I do sometimes wonder if hockey is REALLY the kind of game that can be bound by this data as it is far different a dynamic than something like baseball, say. But that isn't to say we shouldn't try.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
This game was a lot like having your lower ribs removed and practicing yoga. Sure it's normal and something you should share with your co-workers, but think about how disappointed your father will be when he sees the underlying metrics.

As long as your father's alive, he should be disappointed in you.

Otherwise how are you going to learn to work 3 times as hard as everybody else, you lazy bum?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This game was a lot like having your lower ribs removed and practicing yoga. Sure it's normal and something you should share with your co-workers, but think about how disappointed your father will be when he sees the underlying metrics.

My steel worker father loves my underlying CORSI but that’s only because he was cartoonishly clonked by a bulldog with a hammer in a Tex Avery cartoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad