Post-Game Talk: Pens win 5-4 - Can we finally say the scoring drought is over, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
This dude just hates goalies. I don't know how you look at the collapse of the third period and not mention a single other player than the goalie. Are you that narrowminded?

I mean, even snide comments about Fluery, who has let in one goal (shorthanded) in his last 3 games, and he didn't even play.

Honest to God, Nastynick, get some new perspective on things. The blame is goalie for every goal that goes in is beyond ignorant of hockey.

I watch a lot of other team's play.. which is why i hate Penguin goalies. LJBH we have not had very many good ones over the years.

And having a perspective on goaltending that relies on the last 3 games is really short-sighted. Fleury has boned this team for the last 5 years.. horribly. More than any other goalie in the league has screwed over his current team. He gets zero respect until he gets something done in the playoffs. And beating the Columbus Blue Jackets - and only the Columbus Blue Jackets - doesn't really count to me.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Last nights game just proved the following again:

1. One moment Letang is the best D in the NHl, the next he is worse than Scuds. Letang somehow someway must become way more consistent to be considered a top notch D worthy of the Norris.

2. As all season long, the pens suck at faceoffs. No ifs ands or buts. They suck period at this and it will cost them dearly in the playoffs with puck possession.

3. Scuds was exposed last night. He is just too slow and does not block shots. Any fast team in the playoffs will have a field day against him. On the PK every player will beat him to the puck in the corner in the playoffs. And can anyone explain wtf he was doing on the first goal.

4. And again the refs ref according to the score. When pens were up 3-0 numerous infractions by the sens were overlooked. But they do this every time. That's where they are consistent.

Letang's issues are very similar to Sid's in my opinion (although Sid isn't prone to it quite as often):

A case of opting for more complicated solutions rather than looking to SIMPLER ones. Numerous times Letang will choose to get too fancy or complicated (often needlessly) with the puck on his stick. He needs to become more adept at knowing when to just keep things simple.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Greiss is having a tough year. He's allowed 3 or more goals in 9 of his 13 starts. He's also allowed 21 of 37 (56.7%) of his goals in the 3rd period or OT. Fleury by comparison has only allowed 28 of 94 (29.7%) of his goals against in the 3rd period or OT.

I only looked up the 3rd period and OT goals against because the eye test was telling me we have fallen apart a lot in the 3rd period with Greiss in net. The stats kind of bare that out too.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Finally glad people are jumping on the bortuzzo sucks bandwagon on i've been on forever.

I can't believe there are people that thinkin trading Martin is a good idea. We don't have enough good dmen as it is. He's not perfect but he's probably 2nd best on this roster.

I do not like set bandwagons of hating a player. Except Adams... hate him every day.

Bort was fine in his role last year. He deserved ice time. This year, the opposite. He does not deserve ice time. He deserves the bench. But he's still technically a young player. I don't want to dump him for nothing, but I'm okay with him riding the pine as he's deserved it.

But no set bandwagon on the guy. I hate that. Unless he is consistently inconsistent for like 5 years. *cough* Craig Adams.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Bort has sucked this year. I wouldn't write off his career though. He's still a young D-Man and it's possible the switch will go on for him one of these days. It just may not be here.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
The suspension for hitting Jagr neutered him. He can't play his game, he clearly isn't comfortable out there anymore. He was playing decent before that and that game in particular he was very very good.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
By the way, Derrick Pouliot has some filthy hands / skating abilities... he's going to be a Letang-lite sooner than later.

It's pretty amazing to think that we'll have Letang, Maata, and Pouliot in our top-6 for the next 5+ years.. That just rules.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
By the way, Derrick Pouliot has some filthy hands / skating abilities... he's going to be a Letang-lite sooner than later.

It's pretty amazing to think that we'll have Letang, Maata, and Pouliot in our top-6 for the next 5+ years.. That just rules.

I think this was the best game Pouliot has played. Kid really has some sense on how to get pucks to the net, and I loved how Malkin and Crosby didn't hesitate to get a little bit fancy with him like they do with Letang.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I do not like set bandwagons of hating a player. Except Adams... hate him every day.

Bort was fine in his role last year. He deserved ice time. This year, the opposite. He does not deserve ice time. He deserves the bench. But he's still technically a young player. I don't want to dump him for nothing, but I'm okay with him riding the pine as he's deserved it.

But no set bandwagon on the guy. I hate that. Unless he is consistently inconsistent for like 5 years. *cough* Craig Adams.

He wasn't terrible all of last year, but I knew he was going to regress. To be honest he got lucky with the right amount of injuries and played about 30 decent games.

I think he'll always be a 7th guy or ahl... Doesn't mean I hope i'm wrong.... i just never saw his play as sustainable. The game where the seas parted and he scored his goal.... everyone was praising the hell out of him; however defensively he was a freaking trainwreck and everyone looked past it.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I watch a lot of other team's play.. which is why i hate Penguin goalies. LJBH we have not had very many good ones over the years.

And having a perspective on goaltending that relies on the last 3 games is really short-sighted. Fleury has boned this team for the last 5 years.. horribly. More than any other goalie in the league has screwed over his current team. He gets zero respect until he gets something done in the playoffs. And beating the Columbus Blue Jackets - and only the Columbus Blue Jackets - doesn't really count to me.

marc-andre_fleury_with_the_stanley_cup-206631.jpg

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
and how would that be so ridiculous?

one's a backup signed for a year the other is the franchise goalie who constantly pulls up performances exactly like this one or worse, and even worse than this in the playoffs.

do you even think before posting something like this? and I'm talking in general right now. it's like people are happy if Greiss has a bad game because it makes MAF looks somehow better...

If you don't want to hold Greiss to starter standards why did you argue that he should be our starter in the "MAF: The One Guy We Can't Lose" thread?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1798335&highlight=

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The suspension for hitting Jagr neutered him. He can't play his game, he clearly isn't comfortable out there anymore. He was playing decent before that and that game in particular he was very very good.
Absolutely. He was fine before the hit and resulting beatdown.

I'm a fan of the guy but considering how he has been playing, he should be in the press box.

Maybe he just needs to realize that he has 2 choices. Play physical and take the occasional beatdown or suspension. Or get used to playing in the AHL. He needs that aggressiveness and swagger back.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria

Started show a bit of grit with some heavy cross checks. He had a bit of an edge to his game in juniors. Once he gets a bit more comfortable/confident he'll do really well.

I think he will be better than Letang offensively eventually. His D will determine how great of a player he becomes.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I think he will be better than Letang offensively eventually. His D will determine how great of a player he becomes.

Its ok. If Erik Karlsson and PK Subban can be considered "great defensemen" after winning a Norris (based on high end offense and limited defense), DP should be a sure thing ;)

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Marty Brodeur won a few cups too, should he still be a goalie on a cup contending team?

What exactly does that picture prove other than Fleury was good in the playoffs at one point in time in the past?

oh ok Fleury's in his mid 40's, thanks for the info :laugh:

Although Brodeur came close to winning another in 2012, not to shabby huh?

Last edited:

penguins2946*

Started show a bit of grit with some heavy cross checks. He had a bit of an edge to his game in juniors. Once he gets a bit more comfortable/confident he'll do really well.

Pouliot's play is definitely NHL ready, both offensively and defensively. He should be a full time player next year. However, he still has defensive lapses here and there in the NHL, and if we have any interest in contending this year, we can't afford to have his hiccups. Give him a full season on D with the Pens and I don't think he should have an issue, but for this season, I don't think it would be smart to go into the playoffs with him on D. That's more due to the ability of his D partner, who would be Scuderi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad