Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Wings: You ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
7-0-3 in last 10 games
Yea, it's been fun to finally see them battling every night and actually building on something, despite coaching.

Problem is the Islanders have gone 8-2 in the same time so they haven't managed to gain any ground there.

Fingers crossed in these last 3.

First- How awesome of a player to be put out with and get assists on goals by Harry Z, Nasreddine, Megna, etc., etc.
Second- How the $#@! does Sid have more assists on Noah Welch goals than Marcus Pettersson goals?
Mark Eaton and John Leclair say hi too.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So who do you all think Sully goes with against Boston? Ned has gotten three out of four points in the past two games but he hasn't been very good. He might be wearing down a bit. Still, he and the team did find a way to continue to get points.

On the other hand, Jarry is a mental headcase at the best of times and especially in important games. If Sully gives him a game there's an entirely too real possibility that he pulls a Jars and shits the bed.

I think you gotta just ride it out with Ned and hope for the best. Hopefully Ned has just enough left in the tank to push over the line.

Reactions: wizmet12

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Flop master Igor? Not really worried about that guy. He only won those 4 games cause it was the Louie Domingue show and a busted Jarry for game 7. If DeSmith didn't get hurt in the first game, the Pens would have rolled the Rangers.

View attachment 850464

View attachment 850465

Probably, but we owned a 3-1 series lead. Even with a shit goalie, there's no excuse not to bring 1 of those final 3 games home

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
So who do you all think Sully goes with against Boston? Ned has gotten three out of four points in the past two games but he hasn't been very good. He might be wearing down a bit. Still, he and the team did find a way to continue to get points.

On the other hand, Jarry is a mental headcase at the best of times and especially in important games. If Sully gives him a game there's an entirely too real possibility that he pulls a Jars and shits the bed.

I think you gotta just ride it out with Ned and hope for the best. Hopefully Ned has just enough left in the tank to push over the line.

Yea this is a situation where you absolutely have to ride Ned, regardless of the risks. If he falters early, I think you give him a quick hook and get him ready for the following game.

These are the shitty situations this team has put itself in due to dicking around for 65 games

Reactions: Pancakes and Andy99

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Probably, but we owned a 3-1 series lead. Even with a shit goalie, there's no excuse not to bring 1 of those final 3 games home
I think you may have forgotten just how shit the goaltending was.
1712949844951.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Argument to keep Ned as the team is generally winning behind him but consider…
In the last couple games, Ned is 4GAA, 862 sv% and a -3.16 goals saved above expected….in the two games in Boston we played this year, Ned started both of them and he had 5GAA, .808 sv %…Idk man…

Reactions: Pancakes

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Argument to keep Ned as the team is generally winning behind him but consider…
In the last couple games, Ned is 4GAA, 862 sv% and a -3.16 goals saved above expected….in the two games in Boston we played this year, Ned started both of them and he had 5GAA, .808 sv %…Idk man…
I think you give Ned a rest here as well. If you start him and he sucks, and then Jarrs gets Nashville and plays well, you're in more of a pickle on who to start for a huge NYI game.

If Jarrs has Boston, no matter how he plays, it's easy to justify going back to Ned for Nashville, and he should be fresh enough for the last two games.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'd go with Jarry for the following reasons:

1-We likely lose to Boston regardless, so sacrifice Jarry so that Ned gets a day off.
2-If Jarry *can* have one of his "good" games versus the Bruins and steal a couple of points, maybe that'll help his confidence.
3-Leaves Ned fresh for the more winnable games the rest of the way

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I think you give Ned a rest here as well. If you start him and he sucks, and then Jarrs gets Nashville and plays well, you're in more of a pickle on who to start for a huge NYI game.

If Jarrs has Boston, no matter how he plays, it's easy to justify going back to Ned for Nashville, and he should be fresh enough for the last two games.

This is the take. Always a chance you get a Jars shutout, and Ned plays better with more rest historically.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yeah but it was clear from practice today apparently that Ned is starting tomorrow, some of the sportswriters were saying…Jarry I guess was out on the ice awhile after practice…pretty clear Sullivan intends to ride Ned to playoffs or bust…hope it’s not a mistake…I think it’s more than about stopping goals…something happened during/after Dallas game where it now seems like players don’t want to be playing in front of Jarry and the coach know that, or something to that effect, or Sullivan and Jarry had a falling out…it’s weird

Last edited:

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Yeah but it was clear from practice today apparently that Ned is starting tomorrow, some of the sportswriters were saying…Jarry I guess was out on the ice awhile after practice…pretty clear Sullivan intends to ride Ned to playoffs or bust…hope it’s not a mistake…I think it’s more than about stopping goals…something happened during/after Dallas game where it now seems like players don’t want to playin front of Jarry and have the coach know that, or something to that effect, or Sullivan and Jarry had a falling out…it’s weird
Maybe Sullivan is hoping that the penguins win against Boston and Nashville then clinch the wild card spot before the Islanders game? If so, Jarry would start against the Islanders.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Too bad Ludvig is the only penguins d man with edge. The Rags have 6'4 220 lbs players like Miller and Trouba to play that way.

Ludvig in, POJ out. Win-win.

Shea-Ludvig-Petts isn't exactly an ideal left-side defense nor is Graves-Petts-Ludvig, but it's still an improvement either way. Especially in the playoffs, where being soft and clueless on D is hardly a prescription for success.

The goalies, even Jarry (!), would look lots better with some tougher D in front of them.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California

Shea-Ludvig-Petts isn't exactly an ideal left-side defense nor is Graves-Petts-Ludvig, but it's still an improvement either way. Especially in the playoffs, where being soft and clueless on D is hardly a prescription for success.

The goalies, even Jarry (!), would look lots better with some tougher D in front of them.
You know Sullivan. If the penguins are in the playoffs, so will be Graves and POJ.

Reactions: Victor Z

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

POJ is better than Ludvig.

At 5-on-5, Ludvig has been on the ice for 12 Penguins goals and 24 opposition goals.

POJ has been on the ice for 30 and 34.

Ludvig is such a black hole offensively that the physical elements he brings are negated, and the puck ends up in the back of his net far too often for a one-dimensional defenseman.

And as bad as Graves has looked, he's been on the ice for 38 goals for and 37 against.

Ludvig isn't the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad