Pens vs Wings last 40 years rosters who you got

Who wins a best of 7?

• Total voters

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I did an oilers vs Avs one and the oilers won convincingly and likely not my best poll. So I decided to do one that should garner votes for both teams. I used the last 40 years as I’m in my late 40’s and I can’t accurately judge talent before my time other than doing some internet sleuthing.

disclaimer; I fully realize when I’m doing a best of team vs team people will have various opinions on who should be on it and who shouldn’t be. I did my best. So with that said, who wins a best of 7 1983-2023 pens or the 1983-2023 pens? Make your choice!

1983-2023 Pittsburgh Penguins

S.Crosby M.Lemieux. J.Jagr
K.Stevens. E.Malkin. M.Recchi
J.Guentzel. R.Francis. P.Kessel
J.Cullen. J.Staal. R.Tocchet

P.Coffey. L.Murphy
K.Letang. S.Gonchar
U.Samuelson. B.Orpik

Fleury
Barrasso

1983-2023 Detroit Redwings

H.Zetterberg. S.Yzerman. B.Hull
B.Shanahan. P.Datsyuk. S.Federov
D.Larkin. I.Larionov. D.Cicerelli
G.Gallant. K.Primeau. J.Franzen

C.Chelios. N.Lidstrom
P.Coffey. B.Rafalski
Konstantinov. Fetisov

D.Hasek
M.Vernon

Factor in where Players ere in their careers when they played on these teams.
-also note, I realize I could have had L.Murphy on Detroit but it was near the end of his career and imo doesn’t make the cut. I would have liked to include kronwall, but too many legends…

I know everyone isn’t going to be thrilled with my lines but I did the best I could
its too bad that while the Penguins have the best 3 players on either roster by a fair amount and it is still the Red Wings.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
its too bad that while the Penguins have the best 3 players on either roster by a fair amount and it is still the Red Wings.
Nope, not according to the majority. Check it yourself it's at the very top of the page.

Given sids new linemates he'd have it would look a lot different
Oh yeah, I forgot. Only he gets those. You right...

Really? You posted this right?
Larkin '23 - Zetterberg '08 - Franzen '09
You literally just traded out Holmström with Larkin, it's a marginal improvement overall and your defense obviously isn't going to change. Sid's going from having Kunitz/Dupuis/Hörnqvist to having hall of famers and all-time greats riding his 'wings' and you think the Wings contain that? Good luck.

Oh and stop acting like Zetterberg alone limited Crosby in the games they played. He did it together with the best defensemen of his era.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kevin Stevens is garbage. He's the Rob Brown of his time with the Pens.

Now that I have that out of my system. Even as a Wings fan it's hard to bet against Lemieux. We saw Crosby get his lunch fed to him by Zetterberg in 09 playoffs. Could a healthy Datsuk have shut down Malkin? I think so. Can the best Federov shut down the best Lemieux? Damn that's a tall order.

Bowman vs Bowman?

Kevin Stevens’ best point season would be 4th all time and better than every Red Wing player outside of Yzerman.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Kevin Stevens’ best point season would be 4th all time and better than every Red Wing player outside of Yzerman.
Not too mention that Stevens' playoff highs of of 33 and 28 points are both higher than any Redwing ever (Zetterberg 27-2008). His 18 goals in 1991 beats any Detroit playoff scorer by five (Zetterberg and Franzen in 2008 with 13).

My Best-Carey

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Rob Brown looked pretty good until he stopped playing with Lemieux too. Stevens sucks.
How many players have scored 33 points in a single playoff run? And before you say he was just leaching off of Lemieux go check the game logs. He had 19 points at even strength, only two of which involved Lemieux.

Stevens was a beast, anyone who watched him play in the early 90's would know that. The only thing that stopped him from becoming one of the greatest power forwards of all time (though obviously still behind the likes of Howe and Messier) was Rich Pilon's freak'in visor.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
How many players have scored 33 points in a single playoff run? And before you say he was just leaching off of Lemieux go check the game logs. He had 19 points at even strength, only two of which involved Lemieux.

Stevens was a beast, anyone who watched him play in the early 90's would know that. The only thing that stopped him from becoming one of the greatest power forwards of all time (though obviously still behind the likes of Howe and Messier) was Rich Pilon's freak'in visor.

I mean realistically it was drugs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sid - Lemieux - Jagr would be near unstoppable... the pure power of 66/ 68 and adding 87 next to them would pretty much be the perfect fit.

Not enough puck to go around for that, unless you expect them to have it 100% of the game.

Nasty imagining all the Wings defenders getting deked out of their skates by those 3.

In my 33 years as a wings fan I have seen Lidstrom get deked out of his skates 3 times that I can remember. Two were by Ovechkin near the end of Lidstrom's career. The 3rd was Forsberg when Lidstrom was at the end of a shift around 01 or 02. None by Jagr, Crosby or Lemieux.

Also when Chelios would get deked out he'd grab the guy and drag them down to the ice. I have seen him do this to Lemieux and Jagr.

Konstantinov was almost unbeatable one-on-one. He wasn't big, but the guy was pound for pound probably the strongest defender I've seen in the NHL, and incredibly fast. Most people that tried to beat him found themselves on the ice.

I'm an advocate for traditional line deployments and I think the Wings would need to stack their 3 best defenders in a matchup line to stand a chance, since the rest of the lineup is probably more evenly matched.

The Wings were great at this under Bowman and Babcock.

Reactions: sanscosm

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not enough puck to go around for that, unless you expect them to have it 100% of the game.

In my 33 years as a wings fan I have seen Lidstrom get deked out of his skates 3 times that I can remember. Two were by Ovechkin near the end of Lidstrom's career. The 3rd was Forsberg when Lidstrom was at the end of a shift around 01 or 02. None by Jagr, Crosby or Lemieux.

Also when Chelios would get deked out he'd grab the guy and drag them down to the ice. I have seen him do this to Lemieux and Jagr.

Konstantinov was almost unbeatable one-on-one. He wasn't big, but the guy was pound for pound probably the strongest defender I've seen in the NHL, and incredibly fast. Most people that tried to beat him found themselves on the ice.

The Wings were great at this under Bowman and Babcock.

The Lemieux, Jagr, Francis line seemed to do fine.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Off the top of my head top 10 players:
Lemieux PIT
Crosby PIT
Jagr/Lidström PIT/DET
Malkin/Yzerman PIT/DET
Fedorov DET
Coffey PIT/DET
Datsyuk DET
Zetterberg DET

Yeah Pens seems about right

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Oh come on. This is some fanfic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad