Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sabres | loss | we didn’t get tased, we got trampled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don’t know what the chicken or egg is.

Is Dumoulin-Letang
Petts-Petry
POJ-Rutta

THAT bad of a D core or is it coaching? Because it also might just be bad- age does that sometimes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Their big move was petry and a guy playing in the minors for two top 4 defensemen. Not looking good hextall.
Coach Sully wouldn't let him trade Ruhwedel. Also they were basically destroying Marino. The fact the Pens got anything at that point is a miracle. I am curious if the canucks ever offered anything for Marino.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unfortunately the big moves this summer to retool the D has backfired and the D is worse than last season…the extra size has done nothing to help clear the crease when that’s not even the main problem we had….that’s on Hextall

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
I checked last night and the Pens have lost 3 games and 4 games in a row multiple times in every season for the past three, that I checked.

They haven't lost 6-straight since before the back to backs. Only lost 5-straight once under Sully, in his first five games.
They lost six in a row right before the COVID shutdown in Feb 2020

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If this team doesn't go on a pretty massive run at some point, they're gonna be fighting tooth and nail to stay with the pack and claim a playoff spot. That means running Sid, Geno, and Letang ragged. That means an exhausted and battered core of 35+ year olds heading into the playoffs. That means, at best, another 1st round exit.

Love it. If the team's still hovering around .500 or worse by January, start shopping guys.
Who we gonna shop though. everyone is signed forever and old

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They lost six in a row right before the COVID shutdown in Feb 2020
And then got destroyed in the freaking play-in to the playoffs but get to wank off to their playoffs in a row record when really that made it so they were basically eliminated from the chance for Sully to be out in the first round again.

Reactions: Gurglesons

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Do you guys really think Trotz would want to coach the Pens?

I mean, I feel like he'd already have a job if he really wanted one and the Pens are not a fit for his style, to put it mildly.

Reactions: BillPrep

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I've tried to remain as optimistic as possible in assuming they'll still pull out a playoff appearance, considering my pretty dreary, pessimistic stance on how I regard this team anymore. I'm not sure they have it in 'em this time around.

The good news is that I think the Caps, Flyers and Isles all also suck, so it's not like the Pens have to beat out some exceptional teams to sneak in. The bad news is that this team's f***ing cooked, and any playoff appearance is merely for show, and they're essentially a bye for whoever they end up matched up against. :laugh:

Reactions: BusinessGoose

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
And then got destroyed in the freaking play-in to the playoffs but get to wank off to their playoffs in a row record when really that made it so they were basically eliminated from the chance for Sully to be out in the first round again.
Yeah in a non-COVID dimension I do not believe they make the 2019-20 playoffs

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Very quickly, this is becoming a matter of management having to eat some significant costs.
It is not possible to blow anything up, because there is no cap flexibility anywhere to make that much of an option. Nor is the roster anyway near bad enough that this is something one should expect.

So, as has been the case before for the Penguins, a coach has lost the ability to motivate the team. Not really thinking Sully has lost the room in a Therrien/Bylsma/Johnson fashion, but a combination of not getting through to them and being himself pig headed about what works and doesn't.
A good example is to look at GCR...

He needs to go. And if not him right off the bat, his assistants have to go first.

If there is a way you can trick someone into thinking Dumo a top4 D for any kind of pick, you take that also. As an expiring contract, maybe a young team that thinks itself good would even like to have him. He might also turn it around in such a context.
For the Pens it would both be to make a statement, to create cap space and ultimately also because with how he is playing for us, it is hard to win.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
When a team is a disaster structurally, blowing multi-goal leads....you fire the coach.

Not my problem FSG decided to extend the coach for no reason. Eat the cost and get a new voice finally. It's really simple.
Nailed it. FSG walked into the situation and saw a coach who seemed to squeeze every last drop out of depleted rosters, year on year. And (just guessing) they likely felt he had reasonable excuses for the last two playoff losses (goaltending, and injuries/goaltending). That, plus every pundit fawning over Sullivan probably convinced them he was a gem.

That’s over with. You authorized the whole aging core coming back with the premise that they might make one more run. That was a much bigger investment than Sullivan’s deal. And considering they’re sitting on billions, time to just pay the man and send him out the door.

I don’t know if Trotz is an answer, but he’s unemployed, and has a history of out coaching us. Oh and he can adapt to the teams he has, even if he plays boring, caveman hockey. If that shocks this team out of losing night after night, bring it on.

Reactions: Flying Dego
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad