Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Rangers |Win| Afternoon stroll down memory lane

I.....

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Again, a guy doesn't play on one mangled leg, go through the grueling surgery/recovery this off-season and return to play for the team if he doesn't give a shit. Geno's just old and has battled significant injury pretty much annually his entire career--and has guys on his wings nowhere near capable of picking up the slack when he's not at the top of his game. /shrug

That's the reality of an aging superstar, generational talent core. The days of them looking phenomenal and taking over games will be fewer and more far between. It happens. Enjoy the magic on the rare occasion it shows up, but that's it.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
ZAR continues to crack the lineup every game despite not scoring since before thanksgiving.

laughing-gifs

lordstanley91

Jan 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Malkin is simply to bad when he is bad. He is lazy at times and I don't give a rats a** about his picking his shots. He needs to play with effort at his age. The Pens simply are not good enough here and they need effort to win. Jarry saved their but far to many times in slow starts and that has to change.
He was the best pens player tonight. Idk what you people watch but it must suck to be so disappointed all the time:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I simply don't understand the point of last offseason up to this point.

If the goal is simply to make the playoffs and maybe be faux competitive in a round... ok, it is what it is.

But this mindset will only delay the drought for real competitiveness in the long run. Just get on with it.

Record be damned.... you can't compete with this lineup, so many holes that they aren't even trying to address.

Reactions: Ryder71 and Pens x

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rangers and Pens are mirror images in that both lack secondary scoring and rely too heavily on goaltending…the only difference is that the Rangers have a lot of cap space to do something about it by the deadline and will be doing something about it…whereas who the f**k knows if the Pens FO plans to do anything…

Reactions: Al Smith

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It was and even though Kap didn't have any points he made some solid plays setting up some nice chances. Heinen had some solid scoring opportunities as well just couldn't bury it. I'm rooting for something on L2
Heinen did nothing wrong. He firmly connected on both setups and elevated the puck, aiming to the extremities of the net.
Those are just great saves.

If he keeps playing like yesterday it's gonna start going in. Don't want him removed from L2 just yet.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Rangers and Pens are mirror images in that both lack secondary scoring and rely too heavily on goaltending…the only difference is that the Rangers have a lot of cap space to do something about it by the deadline and will be doing something about it…whereas who the f**k knows if the Pens FO plans to do anything…
The primary difference is the Rags have a ton of cap space and are young only to get better.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The primary difference is the Rags have a ton of cap space and are young only to get better.
Maybe.
Kreider's probably not gonna score 55 next year, or whatever he's on pace for now. They win a lot of 1 goal games off his power play proficiency.
He has 1 goal in his last 5, so already trending back to Earth.
Cost them 2 points yesterday.

Shesterkin likely won't be able to sustain .940 hockey and carry the team despite poor even-strength play.

Fox would have to play like a Norris winner for the 3rd consecutive year. Very tall order.

So for them to get better, they not only have to compensate for drop-offs from these guys but exceed it. Always the possibility of lengthy injuries too.

Then I look at their cap and Fox will command 9.25 mill more next year than currently.

I suspect they'll lose Strome in free agency. If he stays it'll come at the cost of someone else.
They're not really saving money on anyone, outside of like under a mill in buyout penalties and maybe a mill on their backup.

I could see them being worse than this year fairly easily.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

That's a mirage. They have cap-room to add UFA help this deadline. Sure.
Next year is another matter entirely because of Fox and Zib costing 12.2 million more next year between them. They have a projected 9.7 million available with 17 players signed next year. Not among those: Kakko, Strome, Blais and Georgiev.
Rangers will have cap-flexibility no sooner than they replace Trouba internally and manage to deal him for something pleasant.

But it is certainly true that they have many quality young assets that SHOULD be getting better. They dearly miss another high quality C though, and they don't have it on the farm unless Lafreniere is converted (thus wasting him, I think), so probably a bunch of those youngsters will eventually leave in order for them to get that.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Malkin is simply to bad when he is bad. He is lazy at times and I don't give a rats a** about his picking his shots. He needs to play with effort at his age. The Pens simply are not good enough here and they need effort to win. Jarry saved their but far to many times in slow starts and that has to change.
He still has 3 of the team's 6 goals over the last 4 games.

Reactions: Trade and Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Are we ever going to start on time again? After the nap in the first 15 minutes, it was a decent effort but teams rarely win when they score so few goals 5 on 5 as we have been doing lately. Geno's best game since his season debut maybe, fingers crossed he remains healthy. Seems like the Rags also play hard 15-20 minutes a night and rely on their goalie and the PP. But they do win a lot of one goal games, so it's nice we managed to beat them in their own game. The rumors of Jarry's demise turned out to be exagerrated.
Minus for some of the weird camera angles on ABC but the sound was a lot better than that of AT&T SportsNet.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We can have cap space though with Zucker LTIR’d. Our lazy ass GM and local media will defend not making moves on limited cap space, but that’s bs.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
We can have cap space though with Zucker LTIR’d. Our lazy ass GM and local media will defend not making moves on limited cap space, but that’s bs.

I guess you are the team DR and know that Zucker should be LTIR'd....you have no idea nor does anyone else where he stands.

Kind of stupid to make comments about what we need to be doing with Zucker and his current injury

Reactions: Ryder71

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

The guy is just back from a major knee surgery at 35 and is over a PPG. Playing 5v5 with sub par top 6 talent.

Geno is a Saint with what he's put up with here and is still a good sport.

I desperately want him to retire a Pen but man so many people here don't deserve the guy.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The guy is just back from a major knee surgery at 35 and is over a PPG. Playing 5v5 with sub par top 6 talent.

Geno is a Saint with what he's put up with here and is still a good sport.

I desperately want him to retire a Pen but man so many people here don't deserve the guy.
Geno gets shat on all of the time here. It’s his fault for not making friggin Heinen into a top 6 player. Heinen was signed to play on the fourth line here, and that is where he belongs. However, our village idiot GM won’t make a trade or try Wbs players, so here we are.

I think we need to switch Sid and Geno’s wingers for two weeks to see what happens. Sid wouldn’t be too happy. Look how much Sid struggled when he had to play with EFraud.

I love Geno, but I think he’d be better off elsewhere. Our GM sucks and we will continue in this awkward half ass holding pattern. We will collect one or two C level prospects each year and wonder why the rebuild never worked. Geno should go somewhere to play with actual top 6 wingers.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - Tristan Jarry bests Igor Shesterkin in first matchup of the year

There are some telling J Fresh stats in this one for our CLB matchup today…no GDT yet so I’m putting this here

CLB is very opportunistic offensively, which is making up for their poor defensive stats…also, this goalie Berube is gonna be trouble for the Pens and their penchant for making rookie goalies look like the next Vezina winner…only way we beat CLB today on the b2b is if CDS stands on his head…we will not have the same checking energy we had last night, so I would expect to see CLB get many many rush chances lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's a mirage. They have cap-room to add UFA help this deadline. Sure.
Next year is another matter entirely because of Fox and Zib costing 12.2 million more next year between them. They have a projected 9.7 million available with 17 players signed next year. Not among those: Kakko, Strome, Blais and Georgiev.
Rangers will have cap-flexibility no sooner than they replace Trouba internally and manage to deal him for something pleasant.

But it is certainly true that they have many quality young assets that SHOULD be getting better. They dearly miss another high quality C though, and they don't have it on the farm unless Lafreniere is converted (thus wasting him, I think), so probably a bunch of those youngsters will eventually leave in order for them to get that.
Well, when I was referring to the cap I was looking at this years TDL.

Their center group is a question and yes salaries for the players you mentioned unequivocally will go up. If however we're being honest about it (and for a number of reasons) their future looks far more promising than ours. Not that it's a surprise considering how we plundered our picks and prospect pools year after year.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Their center group is a question and yes salaries for the players you mentioned unequivocally will go up, but if we're being honest about it (and for a number of reasons) their future looks far more promising than ours. Not that it's a surprise considering how we plundered our picks and prospects year after year.

And we should plunder more picks and prospects…we have no really great prospects and we’ll be picking the bottom of the first…meanwhile we have two of the best players of their generation still playing well…we’re not getting players like Sid and a Geno likely ever again…you do know that the Rangers two best forwards, Z and Panarin, we’re obtained in a trade and paying a huge amount in free agency, right? lol…their top recent draft picks in Lafreniere and Kakko are nowhere near as good and never will be as Sid and G…we have a chance this summer to make trades and sign someone in FA like the Rangers did

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And we should plunder more picks and prospects…we have no really great prospects and we’ll be picking the bottom of the first…meanwhile we have two of the best players of their generation still playing well…we’re not getting players like Sid and a Geno likely ever again…you do know that the Rangers two best forwards, Z and Panarin, we’re obtained in a trade and paying a huge amount in free agency, right? lol…their top recent draft picks in Lafreniere and Kakko are nowhere near as good and never will be as Sid and G…we have a chance this summer to make trades and sign someone in FA like the Rangers did
I disagree, at some point you need to turn the page. IMO we're glorified pretenders. On our best day a good team, but there are a good number of teams as good or better and most certainly younger. And while we might be picking after 20 and while that player could turn out to be nothing, and some point you need to give up the ghost.

It's gonna be an ugly time for us. If we start easing into that transition now it'll be sooner (in theory) we come out of it later. No, we're not likely to get a Sid or Geno again, but hey we've been blessed with four all time greats. So, you never know. And I'm convinced THIS team isn't gonna get it done. No shame in that, this core has achieved plenty. If not for injuries and questionable coaching decisions of the past maybe we have another cup.

If Teddy and Zucker come back and play to their abilities we'll be formidable. But I don't want us trading more picks. Well, 1st rounders anyhow, unless someone gets real silly with what they'll offer up. But that doesn't mean we can't add a decent piece or two at the deadline. The only way we win this year is with better depth, strict adherence to the system, stellar goaltending most nights and remaining healthy. Very tough chore to check all of those boxes. Particularly for a core as old as ours.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I disagree, at some point you need to turn the page. IMO we're glorified pretenders. On our best day a good team, but there are a good number of teams as good or better and most certainly younger. And while we might be picking after 20 and while that player could turn out to be nothing, and some point you need to give up the ghost.

It's gonna be an ugly time for us. If we start easing into that transition now it'll be sooner (in theory) we come out of it later. No, we're not likely to get a Sid or Geno again, but hey we've been blessed with four all time greats. So, you never know. And I'm convinced THIS team isn't gonna get it done. No shame in that, this core has achieved plenty. If not for injuries and questionable coaching decisions of the past maybe we have another cup.

If Teddy and Zucker come back and play to their abilities we'll be formidable. But I don't want us trading more picks. Well, 1st rounders anyhow, unless someone gets real silly with what they'll offer up. But that doesn't mean we can't add a decent piece or two at the deadline. The only way we win this year is with better depth, strict adherence to the system, stellar goaltending most nights and remaining healthy. Very tough chore to check all of those boxes. Particularly for a core as old as ours.

I have my doubts about this team too…but I’d rather us be bad enough to get a top five draft pick..I don’t think our fortunes are bad enough yet that our first round pick next season is worth keeping if we find a trade for a legit top six scorer…I mean if Kap + first + Poulin nets us a non rental player like Miller, I’d do it

Reactions: Pens x

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We’ve done ourselves no favors in playing Simon and ZAR every game over prospects. All of these guys remain relatively unknown because Bylsma is an idiot. I find it hard to believe that none of the AHL players wouldn’t be an upgrade over tweedle dee and tweedle dum. The fact that we haven’t really tried them is astounding.

Seriously, do we know who is even the GM of Wilkes Barre right now? Do we know who is even watching over them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad