Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Rangers | loss | Special teams weren’t the good special tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
*Sit Boyle and Carter. Carter might be suspended anyway. Good.
*I'd say sit Blueger, but see above
*Our top 3 D are good enough to hang with these guys. Petts has been good as well.
*Geno must cash in. Sorry but we talk about all this chest sniping and he can't elevate the puck? Thought he was OK otherwise. Rakell would help.
*The special teams...no comment. An embarrassment. The announcers talking about us getting momentum from the "successful" 2nd kill where the Rangers almost scored like 7 times. FOH. If anything it makes us more scared because we know the PK is overmatched. Is it too late to abandon the triangle + 1? It's badly needed.

Reactions: jmelm

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
That Igor thing isn't similar, but reminds me of that time Ben Bishop appeared to have torn every ligament and tendon in his knee against us in the playoffs when he was with TB. He went off in tears on a stretcher. He was back on the ice the next day. I mean, you have to kind of feel like a jackass with something like that, right? Even if you are relieved to not be hurt.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
We played fine. Shitty last half of the third, but whatever. I think if we play like we did for most of games 1 and 2 in games 3 and 4 that we will do no worse than a split at home.

This should be a long series.

We do need to get a goalie healthy. If Domingue has to start many more, that's a problem. I don't even think he was the issue tonight, but the best we're gonna get from him is adequate goaltending, and we might need a level more than that to beat Shesterkin consistently.
He made several unbelievable saves tonight. I don't know what you mean by adequate goaltending. He was great

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ok real talk - The mere fact that the team lost a top 6 winger in Game 1, didn't have Zucker or Jarry and then lost DeSmith in OT2 and they split in NY is a f***ing good start.

Now to go back to Pittsburgh, see how Sullivan f***s up lines 2 thru 4 and hopefully one of or both of Zucker and Rakell are back as well as Jarry.
Zucker would be huge. I know he's been a disappointment here but that guy brings it in the playoffs. He'll be absolutely flying if he's out there.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He made several unbelievable saves tonight. I don't know what you mean by adequate goaltending. He was great
Woulda liked some saves in the third, but he kept us in the game for 45 minutes or so, and that's all we can ask out of a third string guy.

He was not the reason we lost this game, and he gave us ample chance to win it. I know 5 goals at the end of the night doesn't look great, but he kept us in the game for so long. We had plenty of chances to get him a lead, just couldn't do it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
*Our top 3 D are good enough to hang with these guys. Petts has been good as well.
*Geno must cash in. Sorry but we talk about all this chest sniping and he can't elevate the puck? Thought he was OK otherwise. Rakell would help.
*The special teams...no comment. An embarrassment. The announcers talking about us getting momentum from the "successful" 2nd kill where the Rangers almost scored like 7 times. FOH. If anything it makes us more scared because we know the PK is overmatched. Is it too late to abandon the triangle + 1? It's badly needed.
Carter isn't getting a fine, let alone a suspension....

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Woulda liked some saves in the third, but he kept us in the game for 45 minutes or so, and that's all we can ask out of a third string guy.

He was not the reason we lost this game, and he gave us ample chance to win it. I know 5 goals at the end of the night doesn't look great, but he kept us in the game for so long. We had plenty of chances to get him a lead, just couldn't do it.
We left him out to dry for 30 minutes. He was unreal. None of the goals were bad. We can't ask for more, Jarry wouldn't have made any of those saves

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zucker would be huge. I know he's been a disappointment here but that guy brings it in the playoffs. He'll be absolutely flying if he's out there.
I don't think he's been as much of a disappointment as his usage has been a major disappointment and some bad luck with injuries - personally.

But I would like to see him on the RW with Sid & Jake and then move O'Connor to the LW with Malkin and Rust and drop Kapanen down to Carter with Heinen (a line that has worked).

Guentzel, Crosby, Zucker
O'Connor, Malkin, Rust
Heinen, Carter, Kapanen
McGinn, Blueger, Rodrigues

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

why would Carter be suspended? That was all Shesterkin…

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Still pissed off about the Marino cross check penalty. He did not even touch the ranger player. Joke of a call that changed the game and put the crowd back into it.

Reactions: TNT87 and Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not mad this team lost, I'm happy to be leaving NY tied at 1. But I think the first 2 games in this series showed why this team has absolutely no shot this year, even if they manage to get past the Rangers.

Guentzel and Crosby are the only guys who can produce here. The bottom-6 has been awful and Malkin looks like a shell of what he once was, although he doesn't exactly have that much help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad