Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Rangers | loss | Special teams weren’t the good special tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ok real talk - The mere fact that the team lost a top 6 winger in Game 1, didn't have Zucker or Jarry and then lost DeSmith in OT2 and they split in NY is a f***ing good start.

Now to go back to Pittsburgh, see how Sullivan f***s up lines 2 thru 4 and hopefully one of or both of Zucker and Rakell are back as well as Jarry.

I'm not sure what else you want Sully to do except to send Boyle to the press box?

Your top 2 C's are lazy defensively, you're down to your 3rd string goale, your #3 Dman is gone as well as two top 6 wingers.

He's duct taped this team together as best you can.

My measure of a coach is: has he put his team in the best position to succeed? Given the limitations of who is available, I'd say yes.

During the RS Sully was a shit show to me. But he's show more ability to change this series than his last 3 playoffs combined, thats not being hyperbolic

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Woulda liked some saves in the third, but he kept us in the game for 45 minutes or so, and that's all we can ask out of a third string guy.

He was not the reason we lost this game, and he gave us ample chance to win it. I know 5 goals at the end of the night doesn't look great, but he kept us in the game for so long. We had plenty of chances to get him a lead, just couldn't do it.

Outside the 5th goal, I'm not sure what other 1 people want him to stop?

Still pissed off about the Marino cross check penalty. He did not even touch the ranger player. Joke of a call that changed the game and put the crowd back into it.

But if you want consistency, that was exactly the same motion that sent the Rags player off early in the game
Can't have it both ways, my dude

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'm not sure what else you want Sully to do except to send Boyle to the press box?

Your top 2 C's are lazy defensively, you're down to your 3rd string goale, your #3 Dman is gone as well as two top 6 wingers.

He's duct taped this team together as best you can.

My measure of a coach is: has he put his team in the best position to succeed? Given the limitations of who is available, I'd say yes.

During the RS Sully was a shit show to me. But he's show more ability to change this series than his last 3 playoffs combined, thats not being hyperbolic
Is the coaching to blame for the crappy special teams? He could start working on that.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Look at this dork

FSCeWlYaAAAEIvX.jpg
Gotta use 2 strong hands to get him back on his feet.

Reactions: Pengwins

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s just crazy that our entire bottom six fell off a cliff for so long after a promising start. They look okay on paper, but damn, they don’t look very good.

I really thought we’d start to see more scoring once we got rid of ZAR and Simon. I’m not sure if it’s the coaching or these guys all just suck. Blueger, Erod, and Carter are healthy scratch material.

I don’t know why we didn’t rest Carter for the last couple of games.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Sooooo glad that kept Carter and Blue over McC in the expansion draft!

Def wouldn't want more than 4 guys who could score a goal in the POs.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
I don't think the Pens were that bad. Crosby had a couple additional chances on the doorstep + an unlucky goal against. This was a game that could have gone either way and the sky is not falling.

Pens are with their 3rd goalie, no Zucker, no Rakell, no Doumolin. The score didn't look good but both games have been close.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Anyone here would have taken a split before what transpired in game 1. Going home 1-1 is about the best we could ask for (outside of up 2-0 of course.) Teddy Blueger has looked like shit for every playoff game he’s ever played, and hasn’t looked good for about the last 2 months or so either and people are still pining for him to get a bigger role. People want him as a 3c or even a 2LW. He’s just not all that good. Also Brian Rust needs to get his head out of his ass and stop worrying about his upcoming payday. The guy blocked a shot and then the rest of the game never made any effort to battle for the puck, he’s definitely trying not to get hurt before free agency. I can’t wait to watch him go to a bottom dweller and have his contract look like an albatross in 2 or 3 years.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Really entertaining series so far, the Rangers are good, but they go to sleep for long stretches ... with some secondary scoring and a healthy Jarry we can have a chance.

Fenrir009

May 2, 2018
I'm just glad we're coming back to Pittsburgh with the series tied. We badly need some people back in the lineup though.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Fair point. The vaunted PK has sucked (mostly Boyle related)
The PP is all disjointed. I don't really get what's going on tactically.
We are so passive on the PK and we seem to think that turtling will stop players with the vision of Panarin and Fox from picking us apart.

Spoiler alert: it won't. Pressure Panarin, you have a way better chance of affecting him by getting him into a puck battles than playing prevent defense and thinking he won't find the dagger pass.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Jarry doesn't stop any of those. Deflections, an own goal, and a great shot off a winger with speed who's all alone. We had two PP and blew them, and our PK sucked. It happens, we're in a good position. I have no worry about Domingue. Someone not GC or Malkin needs to score
TJ probably reacts to the centering pass that went off Math's skate. Lou didn't even move on that feed.

Reactions: Shady Machine

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
To be totally honest, I don't think a series win is feasible with Domingue in net when the other team has a Vezina-winning goalie. The Pens are at the point as a team when they need EVERYTHING to go right in order for them to win a series, and part of that involves key players staying healthy. If Jarry isn't ready to go soon, I don't think it's realistic to expect the Pens to take this series.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad