Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Oilers | blowout loss | Get it out of your system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Sullisma: We have the ability to play a speed game. Most of the league is playing that way. It's hard to have success in this league playing slow.

Me: How about playing stupid, Mikey? Is it easy to win then?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Bro it's fine. We just gotta focus and play the right way. We like our team.
Never expected anyone in professional sports to be intellectually gifted...
But still.... even the dumbest jock head could figure out that playing 'THE RIGHT WAY' isn't even the solution. They play brain dead hockey with no life, no creative anything, just boring lifeless speed game (just without the speed (for the laffs)).
The right way, well m.s. 'right way' is the absolute wrong way.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Well, our roster is our roster, right? So, we have what we have. And we're trying to put the best combinations on the ice that we think give us the best chance to win. That's the criteria that I've always utilized with our coaching staff. We ask that question every day. We drill down into details, and we put the lineup on the ice that we think gives us the best chance to win. We've had numbers of different combinations out there. But at the end of the day, you know, we've got a group here that we believe in. We've got to find a way to get this thing going in the right direction.

Chatgpt-is-at-capacity-right-now.jpg

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
sully has been repeating the bylsma, johnston, etc pattern of cancelling practices all year. haven't seen anyone point that out tbh. i just want to know if therrien ever did that, i don't think he did.
that's trying to keep sid from turning

Pens are going to pull a Steelers. Go on a late season meaningless win streak and still miss the playoffs.
your back to top form! welcome back:laugh:

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I watched the game late, and started fast forwarding to it when I could see that we were going to get toasted. That was probaby at 1-1.

Here is my take...
NHL teams are a superstitious fragile bunch, when things are running on all cylinders things tend to keep going your way. Opposite holds true as well.

It's up to the GM to identify potential issues and weaknesses and improve the team before it becomes too late, and they get into a funk.

It's up to the Coach to send messages to underperformers (ie. bench them) to get them to compete. I can't remember the number of times Kap was benched last season because he wasn't living up to top 6 standards, while all the bottom-6 plugs keep getting a pass this year.

It's up to the Coach to implement a system that conducive to the lineup he has.

Right now...
Sleepy let it get there by not making moves when seeing clear signs that our top-6 was carrying the team, and our backup goaltending was suffering.

Sully let it get by not benching Carter/McGinn, and giving WBS talent a shot.

Sully let it get there by not creating a system that works for his team. I don't know why we can't play a hybrid system where our top 2 lines play a more puck moving aggressive game, while our bottom-6 play a more, for example, keep the puck out of our net and hit everything in site game.

Should do...
- Get rid of Sully! That would definitely breath life into the team!
- 2-3 trades, would also give some energy back into the team.

PS..
-Blowing it up is an option, but with 7 days left, not really viable.
-Getting rid of Hextall right now, not viable either. Likely something to do over the summer.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
PS..
-Blowing it up is an option, but with 7 days left, not really viable.
-Getting rid of Hextall right now, not viable either. Likely something to do over the summer.
If you think the team is dreadful now... imagine them next season... a year older.
:dainty:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The thing is, Geno and Sid (for the most part) are aging just about as well as you could hope, they're PPG players in the downside of their careers but they're still making it work and largely with the supporting cast looking BAD (e.g. Jake and Rust). That gamble was fine.

Everything else is just f***ing terrible.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Good article…too bad he doesn’t come out and advocate firing Sullivan…but he’s a wimp too

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The thing is, Geno and Sid (for the most part) are aging just about as well as you could hope, they're PPG players in the downside of their careers but they're still making it work and largely with the supporting cast looking BAD (e.g. Jake and Rust). That gamble was fine.

I mean sure, but when you main pieces are past their prime, your supporting cast needs to be exceptional. That also includes someone in the supporting cast who is at a level to supplant your main pieces.

At this point Geno and Sid are still assets and hopefully once we jettison Guentzel, they ask out so we can expedite our next good team.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Agreed. And I don't want to go back to the rumors of JR wanting to move Letang, but unfortunately I think the old man was on to something.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean sure, but when you main pieces are past their prime, your supporting cast needs to be exceptional. That also includes someone in the supporting cast who is at a level to supplant your main pieces.

At this point Geno and Sid are still assets and hopefully once we jettison Guentzel, they ask out so we can expedite our next good team.
They're never asking out, they'll just retire I bet. :laugh:

Which I'm okay with, honestly. Besides, I don't see Sid doing more than two more years, same with Geno. Letang is the one you have to get rid of.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
They're never asking out, they'll just retire I bet. :laugh:

Which I'm okay with, honestly. Besides, I don't see Sid doing more than two more years, same with Geno. Letang is the one you have to get rid of.

Hopefully we start leaking stuff about him killing the team in the media so he asks out.

Whatever. Let's grab assets, lower our expectations, and enjoy a sh1tty team.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hopefully we start leaking stuff about him killing the team in the media so he asks out.

Whatever. Let's grab assets, lower our expectations, and enjoy a sh1tty team.

I think the biggest issue of moving the core or even Rust or Rakell is they fully control where they are going to so the assets won’t bring back enough to justify being the GM that broke up Sid, Malkin and Letang.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think the biggest issue of moving the core or even Rust or Rakell is they fully control where they are going to so the assets won’t bring back enough to justify being the GM that broke up Sid, Malkin and Letang.

None of those guys is getting traded unless they ask for it.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Come to think of it, the Pens being 32nd in regulation wins in the last two months is even more pathetic when you consider that there are like half a dozen teams tanking quite openly this season and this is the healthiest Pens team in ages. Tanking teams riddled by gazillion injuries like the Habs manage to win more often lately, yet somehow this debacle is not our coach's fault at all, always somebody else's.

Reactions: Andy99 and vodeni

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Come to think of it, the Pens being 32nd in regulation wins in the last two months is even more pathetic when you consider that there are like half a dozen teams tanking quite openly this season and this is the healthiest Pens team in ages. Tanking teams riddled by gazillion injuries like the Habs manage to win more often lately, yet somehow this debacle is not our coach's fault at all, always somebody else's.
aging core, goaltending, did you notice that we are also 30th in goals for...that is against narrative too

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Aside from Kapanen not being there (traded? waived?) it looks like Sullivan is still sticking with the same tired shit because of course he is

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad