Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Lightning| win | Marching Penguins ride the lightning to victory

Lightning back to back cups:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You’re such a troll dude. Simon was great tonight. There is a reason he is playing and it’s the same reason players like Porter, Rowney and others in the back to back were playing in the regular season. Chemistry and personality means something.

You’re the type that sits at work and complains about everyone else aren’t you?

These are the types of posts that literally turn my stomach.......... and so early in the day, how dare you

There are tens of thousands of hockey players around the world that could give you Simon's "great" game last night. The only difference is that some of those players would also bring crazed physicality or elite speed, or even the threat of scoring a goal.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
These are the types of posts that literally turn my stomach.......... and so early in the day, how dare you

There are tens of thousands of hockey players around the world that could give you Simon's "great" game last night. The only difference is that some of those players would also bring crazed physicality or elite speed, or even the threat of scoring a goal.

…. but… Simon DID play a very good game?

Reactions: Gurglesons

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If the biggest problems with your forward group are Zach Aston-Reese and Dominik Simon, you're probably in pretty good shape. In all likelihood, Simon won't even be playing regularly when Blueger gets back in the lineup. I would be more upset if if the Pens had any legit prospects champing at the bit and ZAR/Simon were taking up a roster spot that could reasonably go to them...but that's not where this organization is.

ZAR is an all-defense checking line forward. He can't score to save his life, but also doesn't often get scored on. Simon is a borderline NHL talent, but he's paid accordingly and plays well under 10 minutes a night. You could do much worse as far as fourth liners are concerned, especially since one of them is a 13th or 14th forward anyway.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

But would they cost $750k

Reactions: Gurglesons

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If the biggest problems with your forward group are Zach Aston-Reese and Dominik Simon, you're probably in pretty good shape. In all likelihood, Simon won't even be playing regularly when Blueger gets back in the lineup. I would be more upset if if the Pens had any legit prospects champing at the bit and ZAR/Simon were taking up a roster spot that could reasonably go to them...but that's not where this organization is.

ZAR is an all-defense checking line forward. He can't score to save his life, but also doesn't often get scored on. Simon is a borderline NHL talent, but he's paid accordingly and plays well under 10 minutes a night. You could do much worse as far as fourth liners are concerned, especially since one of them is a 13th or 14th forward anyway.
we have an abundance of 3-4 liners, what we need is someone that will be able to fill in the top 6 if someone goes down. that could be a player in wbs, but there is no one currently on the team that would fit. imo

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Games like this make you think the old guys might still have one or two more good runs left in them.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
A statement game, obviously. I feared we were going to fall into the usual trap of doing nothing on long 5 on 3 and then allowing a comeback but nope, never looked back. Rust is right, Malkin has got the hop, if this continues this team can go places. We are so blessed being able to watch Sid and Geno for so long. The team has flaws but when it's on, it's super fun to watch and isn't that why we follow hockey in the first place?
The game was a perfect example how much better we tend to play we take the lead early. For some reason we are better on the road too. Number one priority should be making sure we play hard from the start in the playoffs, even in, gasp, afternoon games. Sounds simple enough but the past record isn't reassuring, alas.

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
There was so much to like about that game. I counted 3 breakaways and we scored on 2 of them. We gave Tampa almost nothing, even their lone goal was because of a careless play by Letang. Sweet!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I said I was extremely jealous I wasn’t at the game! Last night was awesome. You are the one who always says they should trade everyone since they have no chance to win. I never threw in the towel this year or last year. Now, we will need to make some moves at the deadline, and Sully needs to remember how to coach to have that chance.

I’d like our chances more with a different GM and coach. That’s why I get so fired up - I truly think they are close to being a contender but the GM and coach are morons most of the time.
To be clear I'm not coming off my stance. But last night was damn impressive. And the only reason we appear to have a punchers chance is because Sullivan in one of the best coaches in the game. If you believe another coach could do as well or any better you're sadly mistaken.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Just did some math out of sheer curiosity...since his slow start with 2 points in his first 7 games, Crosby has scored 50 points in the following 37 games. That's a 120 point pace over the course of a full season. The past three and a half months or so has been one of Sid's strongest stretches of play in the past decade.

Call it cherrypicking (and it is, to be fair), but it's nice to see Sid so emphatically put to rest the notion that he's washed up.

Reactions: Allie Kitsune

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, I’m not going to get too excited about this game until I see us pressuring teams all over the ice for 75% of the games from here on out like we did in 2015-16…

dingo71

Apr 27, 2021
Just an excellent game all around. GCR buzzing every shift, God mode Malkin, flawless breakouts, and stifling defensive play were the highlights to me.

Watched the TB broadcast and their praise of the Pens was effusive. Engblom mentioned multiple times that this was the best team he’s seen all year. It’s been stated a few times but if we get 16 of those beginning in May, we’ll be lifting the Cup.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Yes, and I actually don't hate Simon. I just wish the Pens understood that unless they get their bottom 6 rolling, they are going to have a short lived experience come playoffs.

It's not 6 years ago when our big 3 can carry the team. Last year, the isles took out the first line with physicality, Geno was great while injured and we really got nothing out of the bottom. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how this is year will end any different..

Reactions: Victor Z

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, I’m not going to get too excited about this game until I see us pressuring teams all over the ice for 75% of the games from here on out like we did in 2015-16…
Kinda where I'm at. They need to bring the same attention to detail and effort every night. We counter attacked masterfully last night. We forced turnovers in and around the blue line and garnered several odd man breaks including four or five breakaways.

Reactions: Andy99

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh

He got Cirelli off the ice for 10 minutes, and reduced his own ice time in the process. That's about as good a game as Simon's likely to have.

Edit: Simon's 10 PIM last night increased his season total to 26 in 50 games, so maybe we can bill him as a sandpaper-y agitator type, and get something for him at the deadline from a team that's trying to increase their truculence?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - #WingerforGeno

he’s really beating the drum lol…keep at it…

I say the following in half-jest, but admit it, the chances are greater than zero for a Kasperi Kapanen, Mike Matheson, and a 2022 1st round pick for JT Miller trade to happen.

“You mean I GET a first round pick for Kasperi Kapanen?!”

Throw in both Poulin and Legare for all I care.

Lol, what a peach. Here's a potential issue with Malkin and I think it's been one for nearly his entire career. I think you have to determine "What do you want Malkin's wing to do?" And I think that is a deceptively difficult question to answer because Malkin's game is rather fluid IMHO. I think we can probably take a handful of the last games, focus 100% on Malkin, jot down notes from each game, and determine what the wings SHOULD be doing. Then you'd look down and compare notes from 3 or 4 games and see you've come to 3 or 4 different conclusions. I think that means you need a wing that's going to be an adaptable jack-of-all-trades and I don't think it can be a high-end wing who has discernable skill sets based on their own person play (like Kessel).

I don't think it's a coincidence that Malkin's best play for the bulk of his career was with no-star level wings - Malone, Feds, Talbot, Kunitz, Rust, Hagelin, Horny...none of these guys check a box in the major skill set area. The only exceptions may be Horny in terms of physicality, Neal for his shooting, and Kessel in his speed and shot. But eventually, we saw turmoil between Malkin and Kessel and I think that points to the "One puck theory" for when stars play together. All of those other players were capable wings that could read and adapt to Malkin. For those reasons, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to go out and get a high-end, star winger for Malkin. I think the likelihood of Heinen becoming the next Talbot is just as good as any other wing we bring in.

When we talk about production of some players (or more so when people talk about guys like Jake and Rust) it's "Oh, he's a product of <insert star player they play with>" YES! YES! Go get THAT guy! Don't get a guy whose production is based on him playing his own game the way he wants. Get a guy who says "I will do whatever, whenever to help Malkin so I can stay on his line" aka the Kunitz and Dupuis approach. Rust is taking full advantage on that playbook at the moment with Sid.

Agreed. I have been skeptical for a couple of weeks. But if they play THIS way for the next 5 or 6 and beat 4 or 5 major teams while looking like this...we could have something here.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Just did some math out of sheer curiosity...since his slow start with 2 points in his first 7 games, Crosby has scored 50 points in the following 37 games. That's a 120 point pace over the course of a full season. The past three and a half months or so has been one of Sid's strongest stretches of play in the past decade.

Call it cherrypicking (and it is, to be fair), but it's nice to see Sid so emphatically put to rest the notion that he's washed up.

It might be cherry picking but that's the trend you want to see. Even counting that slow start he's now only a point or two shy of first-half MVP Alex Ovechkin's pace.

Reactions: orby

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Lol, what a peach. Here's a potential issue with Malkin and I think it's been one for nearly his entire career. I think you have to determine "What do you want Malkin's wing to do?" And I think that is a deceptively difficult question to answer because Malkin's game is rather fluid IMHO. I think we can probably take a handful of the last games, focus 100% on Malkin, jot down notes from each game, and determine what the wings SHOULD be doing. Then you'd look down and compare notes from 3 or 4 games and see you've come to 3 or 4 different conclusions. I think that means you need a wing that's going to be an adaptable jack-of-all-trades and I don't think it can be a high-end wing who has discernable skill sets based on their own person play (like Kessel).

I don't think it's a coincidence that Malkin's best play for the bulk of his career was with no-star level wings - Malone, Feds, Talbot, Kunitz, Rust, Hagelin, Horny...none of these guys check a box in the major skill set area. The only exceptions may be Horny in terms of physicality, Neal for his shooting, and Kessel in his speed and shot. But eventually, we saw turmoil between Malkin and Kessel and I think that points to the "One puck theory" for when stars play together. All of those other players were capable wings that could read and adapt to Malkin. For those reasons, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to go out and get a high-end, star winger for Malkin. I think the likelihood of Heinen becoming the next Talbot is just as good as any other wing we bring in.

When we talk about production of some players (or more so when people talk about guys like Jake and Rust) it's "Oh, he's a product of <insert star player they play with>" YES! YES! Go get THAT guy! Don't get a guy whose production is based on him playing his own game the way he wants. Get a guy who says "I will do whatever, whenever to help Malkin so I can stay on his line" aka the Kunitz and Dupuis approach. Rust is taking full advantage on that playbook at the moment with Sid.

Agreed. I have been skeptical for a couple of weeks. But if they play THIS way for the next 5 or 6 and beat 4 or 5 major teams while looking like this...we could have something here.

Get a guy for Sid so you can move Rust to Malkin's line, maybe.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad