Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Leafs: Much needed point

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I just know that Sullivan was trying to big brain the OT. "If i send out Eller and he plays Matthews to a draw, I can send out Sid/Geno against a weaker duo. In such a genius!"

That's what the team as a whole is set up to do. Eller and Carter are prime Bergeron that will play top lines to a draw and then Sid/Geno will win games.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Sid was not able to go because skate issues, why not Malkin-Bunting? Eller/DOC? why not Eller/Carter? this is classic Sully.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What the hell kind of jank setup is Sid using btw that he doesn't have quick release holders?

I get being picky about equipment but it's 2024 dude. People having using quick release triggers for years now. Come on Sid. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What the hell kind of jank setup is Sid using btw that he doesn't have quick release holders?

I get being picky about equipment but it's 2024 dude. People having using quick release triggers for years now. Come on Sid. :laugh:

I think I remember him saying that the old style gives him more shock absorption or something? I dunno. Dude would play with a 10 pound piece of lumber like they used back in the 30s if his superstation dictated it lol

Yeah, exactly. Turtling in OT is straight-up losing thinking.

This has been a consistent problem for years and a big reason they are so awful to watch most nights. They play not to lose as opposed to playing to win. An odd strategy for such a genius coach, no?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I just know that Sullivan was trying to big brain the OT. "If i send out Eller and he plays Matthews to a draw, I can send out Sid/Geno against a weaker duo. In such a genius!"

That's what the team as a whole is set up to do. Eller and Carter are prime Bergeron that will play top lines tons draw and then Sid/Geno will win games.
I remember when our organization used to relish throwing our HoFers over the boards. Guess now Sid and Geno are our secret weapons. Don’t let the rest of the league know about ‘em

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Where exactly did this come from again? A Madden article?
Yohe has stated it multiple times as well as some other reporters that watch practice. It's been stated that they've never seen them practice 3v3, so it's assumed that they just don't. Which, based on their performance, checks out.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
My biggest beef is that you’re in OT and already have one point. You are desperate for the extra one.

Playing scared is insane. Go for the jugular and take the one point home if it backfires.
They know they’re terrible at OT, so the whole idea is “we have to score on this first rush.” They get in there, throw some weak attempt on, lose possession, never regain it, and lose. This has happened so, so many times this season. Toronto rotating guys on and off the bench just to screw with us because they know we will get confused and coverage will break down.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Whole team looks that way. Maybe it would help if they oh... I dunno... practiced it? Hell even Crosby who everyone was (rightfully) pissed about not seeing the ice has factored into exact zero OT goals for and I think 5 against this year.

If you don't want to stick Malkin in the circle for whatever reason fine I get it I guess. Put him on Eller's wing or something. Or hell stick he and Carter out there and tell Geno to cheat hard in the circle so they have Carter if he gets the boot.

Mike Sullivan is such a genius coach he's even outcoaching HIMSELF on a routine basis!
everyone pointing to Eller, but the one that did not make sense was DOc, I mean he is dump and chase guy, what exactly he would do 3 on 3. The most hilarious play was when he completely abandoned Nylander because Sully’ s strategy after a few misarable showing was to play man in OT. So DOC is standing. Ear Nyla de and realizes that not his guy so he skates away to the opposite to find his man, totally confusing Nylander, who was WTF they just let me walk in the net unobstructed, so he did nots score on the easiest opening ever. Don’t play DOC on 3 on 3 and teach them what it means playing man. All in all if we went 50 percent we would be comfortably in playoffs.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
everyone pointing to Eller, but the one that did not make sense was DOc, I mean he is dump and chase guy, what exactly he would do 3 on 3. The most hilarious play was when he completely abandoned Nylander because Sully’ s strategy after a few misarable showing was to play man in OT. So DOC is standing. Ear Nyla de and realizes that not his guy so he skates away to the opposite to find his man, totally confusing Nylander, who was WTF they just let me walk in the net unobstructed, so he did nots score on the easiest opening ever. Don’t play DOC on 3 on 3 and teach them what it means playing man. All in all if we went 50 percent we would be comfortably in playoffs.

Yeah I appreciate what DOC has done this year but I can kinda squint and understand Eller. It's dumb but if I bash my head off the desk a few times and huff some glue to put myself in the mind of your average NHL head coach I can sorta get it. But then you double down and put DOC next to him? Just... why?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Yeah I appreciate what DOC has done this year but I can kinda squint and understand Eller. It's dumb but if I bash my head off the desk a few times and huff some glue to put myself in the mind of your average NHL head coach I can sorta get it. But then you double down and put DOC next to him? Just... why?
Thought he'd play mind games with the Leafs. It worked for a little bit until the Leafs stopped laughing. The Leafs then unveiled their secret weapon of hypnotizing the three Pens on the ice into watching Nylander skate in from the wing unopposed. It was downhill from there. The lack of any coaching or practice was even more evident than usual.

At least without 87 on the ice he couldn't be criticized for bailing on a 3v3 line change while the other team converts an odd-man rush.

We have raised losing in OT to an art form this year.

• Haha

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Thought he'd play mind games with the Leafs. It worked for a little bit until the Leafs stopped laughing. The Leafs then unveiled their secret weapon of hypnotizing the three Pens on the ice into watching Nylander skate in from the wing unopposed. It was downhill from there. The lack of any coaching or practice was even more evident than usual.

At least without 87 on the ice he couldn't be criticized for bailing on a 3v3 line change while the other team converts an odd-man rush.

We have raised losing in OT to an art form this year.

You see how many awful changes there are in the OT to go along with the team being gripped by overwhelming fear at the idea of even TRYING to change lines without full possession of the puck and being flagged in by Sullivan and you think to yourself "how can they possibly look this bad?"

Until you learn that they don't even bother practicing it at all and you go "Oh so they're just stupid, egotistical and lazy. Got it."

Reactions: Rave7215

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My biggest beef is that you’re in OT and already have one point. You are desperate for the extra one.

Playing scared is insane. Go for the jugular and take the one point home if it backfires.
I feel like that's Sullivan's entire approach to the game, though. From the "safe" chip and chase rather than puck possession entries, to the "safe" transitions out of the zone rather than quick chances off the rush, his entire approach is "don't lose" versus "try to win".

So it's not surprising that his approach to OT is more about defending rather than trying to win.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Then you start Malkin-Rakell or Malkin-Bunitng. Two possible pairings that had monster games.
And Geno would very likely lose the face off. And therein lies the issue. The leafs likely get the puck anyhow.

I'd put the odds on a team that has lost 6 straight and is -42 in goal differential winning 5 straight against teams like Detroit, Boston, Tampa Bay, and Buffalo at <1%. Of all the things to worry about that's not one of them.
But now it's out of our control and now the Caps have to win four games. They're due to go on a run.

Reactions: SEALBound

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
-------- Mike Sullivan lost them this game. The following minuses are why.
----Starting overtime with Eller and DOC in a must win game.
----not calling a timeout when the fourth line and third pairing was out there for 2 mins in the second. Led to the first goal.
------actually double shifting Jeff Carter
---jeff Carter out the last minute of the game
------not fixing the power play for 78 games.
-----jeff Carter alligator arming a puck in the offensive zone because he didn't want to skate. Led to a breakaway and a power play for the Leafs.
--------toronto home cooking on the no penalty calls on Karlsson and Crosby.
-----Karlsson is really bad at defense.
----Ryan Sheas inability to clear on the first goal.
----the people pumped about earning a point will be the same ones combing the penguins schedule and blaming them not making the playoffs on blown leads and poor decisions

Well stated.
Carter and Sullivan are the last remaining barriers to this team being in the playoffs. If both of them disappeared, I'll put money on this team making the playoffs.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Well stated.
Carter and Sullivan are the last remaining barriers to this team being in the playoffs. If both of them disappeared, I'll put money on this team making the playoffs.

Honestly they could be a playoff team by just removing Sully. Removing both is all but guaranteed....in hindsight, so I totally agree. Going forward we have no idea what production will look like.

We have been short on scoring for a few years now - and have only gotten older and now we are sans Jake Guentzel. So you need a new coach, refreshed forward group, an improved Graves (lol), and a LOT more goals. Those goals aren't coming cheap. So Dubas needs to get the hell over himself with regards to these damn depth pieces. This team isn't a depth piece or four away from competing. They're top 6 CONSISTENT talent. Not side-car talent in Smith/Rakell - but dudes that can be relied on for 30 goals. Two of them.

That is, unless this group moves on from Jarry and adopts Carolina hockey. If you did that, you could get away with a coaching change and ONE impact player in the top 6. But this high event stuff where you're expected SEASONAL goals-for is like 160 is utterly insane. Especially when your goalie tandem is totally mid (at best).

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad