Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Knights: Blew 2 periods of hard work in 2 min

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
obviously you have to sacrifice somewhere right? Our other top four defenseman has been on the third pairing making 4.5 mil for weeks until recently.
We've had a discussion along these lines before -- I'm a believer that you need to have balance in your lineup, that you bring in players who fit specific roles and styles of play rather than just accumulating the most amount of skill possible.

I truly think that was finally the approach this offseason after several years of it not being remotely close to that. It hasn't gone quite to plan - I thought Graves would be better (most people did, as it was only the size of the contract, not the signing itself, that was criticized over the summer). I also thought Acciari and Nieto would provide more offense than they have so far, though Acciari has been even better defensively than I anticipated. Eller, meanwhile, has actually been better than I anticipated.

I think an idea and process can be correct, even if the results don't come. The key is correcting relatively quickly, and I think Dubas is going to have to course correct here a little bit soon.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We've had a discussion along these lines before -- I'm a believer that you need to have balance in your lineup, that you bring in players who fit specific roles and styles of play rather than just accumulating the most amount of skill possible.

I truly think that was finally the approach this offseason after several years of it not being remotely close to that. It hasn't gone quite to plan - I thought Graves would be better (most people did, as it was only the size of the contract, not the signing itself, that was criticized over the summer). I also thought Acciari and Nieto would provide more offense than they have so far, though Acciari has been even better defensively than I anticipated. Eller, meanwhile, has actually been better than I anticipated.

I think an idea and process can be correct, even if the results don't come. The key is correcting relatively quickly, and I think Dubas is going to have to course correct here a little bit soon.

How is having Smith on the third line not balance? That’s the role he played in Vegas.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Dubas’ problem this off-season was listening to Sullivan’s views on team building and the players he wanted lol…you can’t have two fourth lines and two top six lines that can’t finish worth shit, and the lack of finishing is not new, been happening the last couple seasons

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
How is having Smith on the third line not balance? That’s the role he played in Vegas.
They were able to do that because of LTIR and then no cap in the playoffs.
Dubas’ problem this off-season was listening to Sullivan’s views on team building and the players he wanted lol…you can’t have two fourth lines and two top six lines that can’t finish worth shit, and the lack of finishing is not new, been happening the last couple seasons
Again, I think the theory is fine. And they've been substantially better defensively, which has helped their goaltending (and then vice versa). The bottom six is not a sieve like it was last year.

Offensive production is an issue, but I think if the power play is contributing at a normal pace, we're not having this discussion as intently.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They were able to do that because of LTIR and then no cap in the playoffs.

Again, I think the theory is fine. And they've been substantially better defensively, which has helped their goaltending (and then vice versa). The bottom six is not a sieve like it was last year.

Offensive production is an issue, but I think if the power play is contributing at a normal pace, we're not having this discussion as intently.
The PP has been falling off for awhile along with the offensive production…I think the plan was to go after more offensive production on the backend with EK but given the freedom he was allowed to play with in SJ (and the lack of freedom he’d be given here under Sullivan) it was kind of dumb…go after EK if you’re plan is to be more aggressive offensively, not to play more structured defensively….this idea started with Sullivan and his plan to try to acquire Chychrun last season

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah, I mean hindsight is 20/20. I wonder if Dubas had it over again, if he would make the same decision.

The 3rd we used was the 3rd we got from Vegas for Bleuger. So we got Smith for a UFA Bleuger.

I still view it as losing a pick. Yes, they are fungible, but with a do-over after watching Smith here we don't make the trade. Wouldn't be surprised if Smith was shipped elsewhere soon though.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah I don’t think Jake is looking for a contract that begins with an 8…Smith out would be great but our top six RW depth would take a hit if Rakell was traded unless Smith picks up his game

Gotta fit somehow in the cap world and have to somehow fit a new player to change the team.

What do you think Jake goes for?

We can offer that 8th year currently 8.5 x 8 is 68 million.
8.8 x 8 = 70.4 Million

7 years that number is 9.7 for 68 or 10.05 for 70.4 million

I do not think Jake will sign after this last contract so i think that 8th year is key for us where we can keep it down. We have to remember he is 30 years old. He isn't 27 or 28. He has a short forward prime with us.

I don’t think Lindholm will be cheap as a trade piece. He’s basically the only center on the market I can think of unless Columbus makes Jenner available.

True he probably will cost an arm and a leg and any trade we will have to pony up a 8x something deal to guarantee he stays. Highly sought after and a player I have been interested for quite some time. I think Malkin and Lindholm would make a great team.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Eller is a massive upgrade at 3rd center. Put some decent wingers on that line and that is a very good line. Even white looked good playing there. Carter is such a D liability and brings little now. Dubas has three things to address. LW if Jake is signed or traded, a third RD with some size and grit and Sullivan as to being just punching the time clock here. I actually think next year is the lets see what we can do here. Geno is going to be a problem unless a new coach uses him as a declining player that role is not nearly as prominent. But getting a better 4th line, deeper more physical D and a LW who brings physical play to create space for Sid is a must. I am in the camp Jakes value will never be higher and get back assets that deepen the now and the future.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I've been talking about the Powerplay since 2016, its the main issue with this team. When you have that talent there is no reason your not at least middle of the pack team. Its the difference between sitting at the top of the Metro right now and our current position.

Its the difference between losing in the 1st round and moving on since the drought. We had opportunity to put teams away on the powerplay and didn't......... its what you are supposed to do

Also I would put more blame on the coaches here than the players because the PP is systematic

Last edited:

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
The irony!
No Actually as I have said A BILLION Times I don't give a f*** if they fire Sullivan Yesterday, Last Season or what the f*** ever, It is you side that thinks that a New HC & CS is going to magically make the Pens a SC Contender. BUT Keep going with that narrative, till it isn't worth a shit too

Watch out or he might drop a "sizzle-chest" or maybe a "liver lips" on you and boy THEN you're gonna feel foolish.
Good Argument

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think upgrading Smith and Rakell would be the biggest things this organization could do. Even over firing Sullivan.

Rakell flubs with Sid and Geno alike at this point. Smith plays like a third liner making top 6 money. Eller is solid but rarely generates anything actually dangerous. Rust has been invisible for two years but shows flashes here and there. It's Sid/Guentz, that's it. Geno is playing to his 6M at this point - and is more like a winger (and has been)....so it's 3 wingers on a line. I just don't get it. Make a damn roster move.

Dudes are offensive black holes on most nights. So you have goalies playing well enough. Team giving up low goal totals. But we can't score because we literally have less than 1 full line of offensive NHL hockey in our entire group at this point.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I think upgrading Smith and Rakell would be the biggest things this organization could do. Even over firing Sullivan.

Rakell flubs with Sid and Geno alike at this point. Smith plays like a third liner making top 6 money. Eller is solid but rarely generates anything actually dangerous. Rust has been invisible for two years but shows flashes here and there. It's Sid/Guentz, that's it. Geno is playing to his 6M at this point - and is more like a winger (and has been)....so it's 3 wingers on a line. I just don't get it. Make a damn roster move.

Dudes are offensive black holes on most nights. So you have goalies playing well enough. Team giving up low goal totals. But we can't score because we literally have less than 1 full line of offensive NHL hockey in our entire group at this point.
Which is hilarious that we even need to contemplate getting rid of Rakell and Smith

These guys give us fits as opponents for years

They get here.. f***ing Simon level play

I disagree on the others though ... Guentzel generates jack shit on his own. It's only sid. Eller is 100% fine. Rust is actually good this year.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Which is hilarious that we even need to contemplate it

These guys give us fits as opponents for years

They get here.. f***ing Simon level play

No excuses for top 6 players.

We can (I have) harp on Sullivan plenty. Our top 6 pretty much get 90% of the game to do whatever the hell they want. When you can't score with Sid or Geno, that's on you.

These two are nothing more than Tanner Pearson's redressed. They need upgrading, badly. If we keep chugging along relying on Sid's line for 95% of offense we're going to continue to be in 2nd to last place through May.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The whole Rakell thing is tired at this point. Another guy you can toss on the "came in hot went out ice cold" pile. It's a large pile at this point. Dude has 5 goals in 31 games stapled to the top six (lately Crosby) and often the top powerplay. Jeff flippin' Carter has five goals. At some point you can't just keep hanging your hat on the "little things" a 5M dollar supposed top six player does when your team is a bunch of ham-fisted goobers and is at the bottom of the league in finishing two years running.

As for Smith... shit... the process must be accelerating because his hot streak only lasted a couple of months on this team before he fizzled. Hey... this team IS getting better at something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad