Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Knights: Blew 2 periods of hard work in 2 min

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If the Powerplay wasn't so bad, just think of how much better the numbers of the players causing the Powerplay to be bad would be.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
5 on 5 I think Sid is up there, I would still take him this year over anyone sanse maybe 2 guys. If our PP is not such shit, he would be way up there
If the PP was league average, we'd have about 10 more goals. So Sid would factor in on like 5-6 of those points realistically.
So he'd be like 11th among Forwards. Granted, he'd still have some games in hand, but I have to put more than 2 Forwards ahead of him.
Matthews is on pace for 70 and playing top tier defense. Reinhart's having a ridiculous year. McDavid, Pettersson, Miller, Pasta...
And now that the Oil have things under control, I think Draisaitl is gonna blow up in the 2nd half.

Sid's done super well, but I'm pretty concerned about the remaining schedule. We'll be playing 36 games in 71 days. That's pretty cruel for a 36-year old.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Blueger always had more skill than he shown. Hard to get anything done offensively in the roles he was played in.

No excuse for why a bum like Harkins is in over a pretty reliable forechecking vet like Hino.

Sullivan just puts too many black holes in the lineup.
The way he used Blueger was just the most frustrating thing for me. Seeing the hockey IQ, skill, etc and then how Sullivan seemingly just kept burying him with destructive usage. It was the time after finally trying to let go of the Sprong thing and then seeing how Blueger was used even when had around 30 games in the first season, how Sullivan kept slowly screwing with his usage after good games he had.

I saw that dumb shit with Bylsma and was early on the f*** you Sully train around 2018ish.

The thing with Teddy in Vancouver is that he's still getting a fair amount of dz starts but his quality of linemates aren't players that handle the puck like a grenade and he can actually utilize and create on the forecheck with.

Their third line has been consistently good too. Joshua-Blueger-Garland.

It’s simple things like this - understanding who your players are and who fits with them that Sullivan struggles with. He feels players have a certain side to their game that isn’t scouted as being their game and then forces them into roles he feels they should be in. It’s why players struggle. They spend time developing an identity to their game and then a coach doesn’t even bother knowing what your game is about and figures you should play this way - a way you know isn’t really your game.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
...lead to playoff spots.
It's called man advantage to every team but the Pens. Only they turn it into a man disadvantage.

If the PP was league average, we'd have about 10 more goals. So Sid would factor in on like 5-6 of those points realistically.
So he'd be like 11th among Forwards. Granted, he'd still have some games in hand, but I have to put more than 2 Forwards ahead of him.
Matthews is on pace for 70 and playing top tier defense. Reinhart's having a ridiculous year. McDavid, Pettersson, Miller, Pasta...
And now that the Oil have things under control, I think Draisaitl is gonna blow up in the 2nd half.

Sid's done super well, but I'm pretty concerned about the remaining schedule. We'll be playing 36 games in 71 days. That's pretty cruel for a 36-year old.

I think there's too much of a focus on that last part.

They had like 4 days off. Played Vegas. Play in 2 days. Then play again in 3 days for back to backs.

Then the break.

Feb 6 - Game.
Off 3 days for back to backs.

There are gaps but the back to backs we didn't see much of are in the second half. There's gaps. I think the bigger issue is how Sullivan will utilize the heavy veteran roster he wants to keep using.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If the Powerplay wasn't so bad, just think of how much better the numbers of the players causing the Powerplay to be bad would be.
Those defensive collapses aren't erased because of a powerplay goal or two. Those issues still would remain. The only difference would be blokes would be happy with wins and ignore how bad this team was defensively. Probably just blaming goalies or some other dumb shit. The scores wouldn't be what we'd like and all anyone would care about would be wins in that case. But that shitty play defensively and the depth scoring being shit on by his usage, they don't magically disappear.

The issues in the Pens game without the powerplay struggling is pretty lacking already. I mean they couldn't beat the VGK who were without Eichel, a top 9 winger, Theodore, , top 6 player in Karlsson. Oh and their #1 Adin Hill. They acted like the Kraken game was some hard fought win vs a team missing their top player (also Beniers and Burakovsky - the latter just returned).

The powerplay being this focus is typical distraction from the major problems by the Pens. Flip the narrative with their puppets in the Pens media. Focus on the powerplay. Blame the players. Anything but calling out Sullivan

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's called man advantage to every team but the Pens. Only they turn it into a man disadvantage.

I think there's too much of a focus on that last part.

They had like 4 days off. Played Vegas. Play in 2 days. Then play again in 3 days for back to backs.

Then the break.

Feb 6 - Game.
Off 3 days for back to backs.

There are gaps but the back to backs we didn't see much of are in the second half. There's gaps. I think the bigger issue is how Sullivan will utilize the heavy veteran roster he wants to keep using.
End of the day it's 36 games in 71 days. On average 1 rest day.
I don't think it's enough for NHL players, but w/e.
It's especially concerning considering the strength of scheduled opponents.

I think it looks bad for playoff entry right now, especially with Malkin like this.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Those defensive collapses aren't erased because of a powerplay goal or two. Those issues still would remain. The only difference would be blokes would be happy with wins and ignore how bad this team was defensively. Probably just blaming goalies or some other dumb shit. The scores wouldn't be what we'd like and all anyone would care about would be wins in that case. But that shitty play defensively and the depth scoring being shit on by his usage, they don't magically disappear.

The issues in the Pens game without the powerplay struggling is pretty lacking already. I mean they couldn't beat the VGK who were without Eichel, a top 9 winger, Theodore, , top 6 player in Karlsson. Oh and their #1 Adin Hill. They acted like the Kraken game was some hard fought win vs a team missing their top player (also Beniers and Burakovsky - the latter just returned).

The powerplay being this focus is typical distraction from the major problems by the Pens. Flip the narrative with their puppets in the Pens media. Focus on the powerplay. Blame the players. Anything but calling out Sullivan
& You & all the others who constantly whine about Sullivan ignore every f***ing problem the players have & the Biggest is this IF SID WANTED SULLIVAN GONE, HE WOULD BE GONE YESTERDAY!!!! PERIOD & END OF STORY

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

The Powerplay IS the #1 problem with this team though and it isn't close.
It is also on Sullivan and Reirden.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Pens are 10-4-3 since Dec. 1st. That's .676 win%. If they were to keep that up for the remaining 39 games, it would give them 100 points.
That's a tall task however.
I'm going to assume Isles and Caps drop off and Tampa makes the playoffs.
So Pens would have to surpass Detroit, if they keep their current pace would end with (rounded up) 95 points.
Detroit could easily go on a run and Pens could have a bad week or two.
I believe they can and will make the playoffs but in doing so will be physically drained and lose in the first round.
I'm ok with Guentzel being shipped out.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
that isn’t what I said. So I guess read.

He was brought in to be a top six winger like I said help carry the top six.
Okay...
That was a fine move. But expecting a 30+ year old Smith to help carry our top six was moronic.
:skeptic::dunno:

If you want to walk back the first thing you said and say something like "Smith was brought in to help solidify the top 6 or give Malkin a competent winger or replace Zucker or bolster the top 6" then okay.

You said it. Don't move the goalposts.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pens are 10-4-3 since Dec. 1st. That's .676 win%. If they were to keep that up for the remaining 39 games, it would give them 100 points.
That's a tall task however.
I'm going to assume Isles and Caps drop off and Tampa makes the playoffs.
So Pens would have to surpass Detroit, if they keep their current pace would end with (rounded up) 95 points.
Detroit could easily go on a run and Pens could have a bad week or two.
I believe they can and will make the playoffs but in doing so will be physically drained and lose in the first round.
I'm ok with Guentzel being shipped out.
You can always set a random time frame to look at the Pens record….I go by month and they are 3-5 in January…not good enough…they must get 6 out of 6 points this week…nonnegotiable with all the rest they have

i don’t think they’re going to make the playoffs considering their March and April schedule and where they are…the only way that happens is if theyre in a PO spot, top three in Metro,by the deadline…they’re going to have to have a Edm type streak…

imo, if Malkin doesn’t improve, they need to go after Lindholm if they’re in a playoff spot…trade Jake and use the first in return to go after him

Malkin-Sid-Rakell
DOc-Lindholm-Rust

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Okay...

If you want to walk back the first thing you said and say something like "Smith was brought in to help solidify the top 6 or give Malkin a competent winger or replace Zucker or bolster the top 6" then okay.

That’s exactly what you quoted said. He was brought in to “help carry our top six”. I didn’t say he was brought in to be our top line winger.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You can always set a random time frame to look at the Pens record….I go by month and they are 3-5 in January…not good enough…they must get 6 out of 6 points this week…nonnegotiable with all the rest they have

i don’t think they’re going to make the playoffs considering their March and April schedule and where they are…the only way that happens is if theyre in a PO spot, top three in Metro,by the deadline…they’re going to have to have a Edm type streak…

imo, if Malkin doesn’t improve, they need to go after Lindholm if they’re in a playoff spot…trade Jake and use the first in return to go after him

Malkin-Sid-Rakell
DOc-Lindholm-Rust
Lindholm is enticing because he could be a buy low candidate.

If we could somehow add him. Even if Malkin is his winger because I do believe Malkin could carry the puck and weaponize his shot.
55.92% on faceoffs as well.

If we could trade let's say Rakell and take on Lindholm and keep Jake with contracts in the 8s.

Smith is another option 5 mill 1 year. I think a lot of teams would be interested.

I'd be open to that.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Okay...

Smith was brought in because Dubas did not want to resign Zucker to a multi-year deal, and he didn't know what the future held with Zucker's market.

In hindsight if he knew Zuck would be cheap to bring back and not need a long-term deal I can't imagine he would have made the move. It cost us a 3rd.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Smith was brought in because Dubas did not want to resign Zucker to a multi-year deal, and he didn't know what the future held with Zucker's market.

In hindsight if he knew Zuck would be cheap to bring back and not need a long-term deal I can't imagine he would have made the move. It cost us a 3rd.
Yeah, I mean hindsight is 20/20. I wonder if Dubas had it over again, if he would make the same decision.

The 3rd we used was the 3rd we got from Vegas for Bleuger. So we got Smith for a UFA Bleuger.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

If we could somehow add him. Even if Malkin is his winger because I do believe Malkin could carry the puck and weaponize his shot.

If we could trade let's say Rakell and take on Lindholm and keep Jake with contracts in the 8s.

Smith is another option 5 mill 1 year. I think a lot of teams would be interested.

I'd be open to that.
Yeah I don’t think Jake is looking for a contract that begins with an 8…Smith out would be great but our top six RW depth would take a hit if Rakell was traded unless Smith picks up his game

I think Zucker’s goal was to get a long term contract from us and then another team….at that point we moved on…if we had known how that worked out for him, maybe he would have signed here at the time, but we didn’t and had traded for Smith at that point

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

We could have signed Zucker and gotten Smith. Instead we got Graves, Acciari, and Eller.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I'd be open to that.

I don’t think Lindholm will be cheap as a trade piece. He’s basically the only center on the market I can think of unless Columbus makes Jenner available.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad