Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Kings | Loss| Lets not talk about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, it wasn’t really his fault, just laughing at the timing of it. Dude’s had a legit good season.
It showed just how bad the Pens D is. Their awareness at times just pisses me off. Like the Kopitar goal where the Kings just owned the Penguins with movement of the puck they all bit hard to the right of Jarry and left Kopitar open for a tap in. It was a lot of that kind of amateur hour shit and this isn't a team that is missing any of their regulars on D. That was just putrid defensive play all game. Their mild incompetence is why LA didn't get to 60 shots on net.

And this isn't just on the D. The forwards outside of the usual Blue and etc, are the epitome of f***ing passengers on back checking.

I'm sure some blokes would be like "ah just a bad game look how good we were for like 10 in a row!!"

LA just showed what Dallas did and won - get to Jarry and watch the Pens defense stand around and watch and do nothing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Any competent coach will review those two games and if they study it right - know just how to make Sully bounce out in the first round again.

Exploits all of Sullys warts that Trotz loves to do in a series.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agreed, this was a classic "burn the tape" game. We collectively sucked (except for Jarry for 2.5 periods) against a motivated team and got exactly what we deserved. Reset, and try to jump on the Sharks early.
Dallas kind of did the same though. So it's a tough one to just ignore as a reset. San Jose is a weird team. They can either show up or blow up in a bad way. But I think the last game where they had a weird start time, the second half of the game is the Sharks we'll see. I'd be surprised if we get another 2pts out of this Cali swing.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Any competent coach will review those two games and if they study it right - know just how to make Sully bounce out in the first round again. Exploits all of Sullys warts that Trotz loves to do in a series.
Is it really more complicated than crash the net front and knock our first two lines off the puck and around in general? Seems like that is the tried and true, not so secret sauce but maybe I'm missing something?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is it really more complicated than crash the net front and knock our first two lines off the puck and around in general? Seems like that is the tried and true, not so secret sauce but maybe I'm missing something?
More or less how disengaged the team is in their own zone when they have to chase.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sucks Jakes point streak has come to an end...so close to 20 games! I think McDavid also had an 18 game point streak? before it came to an end.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ever notice when #71 is criticized defenders always point to the team sucking or pointily attacking Crosby. Like it always have to be blurred with excuses and lumped in with the team.

The players making the most money should be singled out because they get paid that way.

sure, and so you should single out Sid then just as much as Geno when he plays bad ( he makes almost as much money), which he did last night as well…but you don’t so you’re being hypocritical …Sid is averaging 2.97 giveaways per 60 minutes this season, the highest rate of his career, according to Matt Vensel at the Post-Gazette, and he’s been forcing a lot of bad passes…let’s hear you complain about him one time…I’m not holding my breath

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I have accepted as fact that this front office believes last year was an aberration and probably blame Jarry for that series.

I saw it completely differently. Even if Jarry had played god like, the Pens were never going to get the needed goal in any game..... all Jarry would have done is extend the inevitable.
Why would you see it this way when the Penguins did in fact, have the needed goal in most of the games? In four of the six games, we went into the 3rd period with a lead. All we would've needed to do was actually hold those leads.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Just poor effort and lack of awareness. West Coast game and nothing really to dwell on...EXCEPT

As his long time #1 advocate my man Zohorna continues to show why he deserves a spot.

Watch him in the Ozone, he knows where to go to get chances, he can shoot, he is really good on the boards and he's a pretty good skater for a dude thats 6'6".

I wanted him given a shot with Geno before the season started and I stick by it. Give Geno a guy with offensive instincts that is big and fast...

Before anyone scoffs at that...I mean look our LWs aren't world beaters outside of Jake.

Heinen
Zucker
ZAR

Reactions: Andy99

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I'm getting old I fell asleep after the 1st
I wish I had fallen asleep in the first. Sadly I watched that crap in its entirety.

I wonder if Jarry ever saw a sports shrink like MAF did. Might do some wonders for him. He looked really shaky in the 3rd, like vintage last years meltdown shaky.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I wish I had fallen asleep in the first. Sadly I watched that crap in its entirety.

I wonder if Jarry ever saw a sports shrink like MAF did. Might do some wonders for him. He looked really shaky in the 3rd, like vintage last years meltdown shaky.
Kings scored 4 goals in the 3rd.

1st goal goes through a small opening in Rodrigues' legs, so he was screened and picked it up late.
2nd goal backdoor play, utterly f***ed
3rd goal backdoor play, utterly f***ed
4th goal had a clear trajectory to Jarry which he was preparing for and ramped up off Bjorkvist's leg, ending up under the bar.

I don't think he needs a sports psychologist because of one game with a lopsided score when he's .929 on the season.

The Kings had 25 high danger chances, to only 9 for Pitt. He was the best Penguin imo...either him or someone on Zohorna's line.
Think he'll be fine if the Pens don't mail it in and actually defend for their goalie, as they've been doing for most of the year. Some shot blocks, defenders preventing slam dunk goals, more time spent in the other zone, etc... Stuff like that will help.

The Kings had more shot blocks than the Pens that game, despite heavily controlling the play and outshooting them 45-29. Why?

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
On a lighter note, congrats to Aisha Visram. On the note of women in hockey, a special shout out to one of our very own, Penguins PR Ace and Proud Penn State Alumna Jen Bullano Ridgley.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dallas kind of did the same though. So it's a tough one to just ignore as a reset. San Jose is a weird team. They can either show up or blow up in a bad way. But I think the last game where they had a weird start time, the second half of the game is the Sharks we'll see. I'd be surprised if we get another 2pts out of this Cali swing.

Losing as many wings as we have has taken its toll I think.

Rust, Zucker, Heinen, McGinn, and ZAR is a lot of starting roster depth at one position to be down at once. Has to effect how we play, especially along the boards.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Losing as many wings as we have has taken its toll I think.

Rust, Zucker, Heinen, McGinn, and ZAR is a lot of starting roster depth at one position to be down at once. Has to effect how we play, especially along the boards.

It was the top6 getting beaten…
Don’t really think there’s a depth excuse here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Rust was on a heater. And that group is clearly better than the group that replaced them.

This top 6 is going to fail sometimes - that's always been my argument for needing another guy who can carry the mail when Crosby and Malkin both have off-nights.

This is the first time in 18 games that Guentzel hasn't scored a point, and Malkin's line straight-up dominated the game before last. This is the period when the depth has to come through for this roster.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

well, to be fair, the fourth line was pretty shit…third was good…top two lines getting beaten to the puck, didn’t establish a forecheck…

that’s the biggest concern with Carter on L2…Sully’s system requires speedy wings to get on the forecheck quick…he’s not fast enough to be a wing here…can’t wait until he goes back to center

Reactions: vodeni

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
well, to be fair, the fourth line was pretty shit…third was good…top two lines getting beaten to the puck, didn’t establish a forecheck…

that’s the biggest concern with Carter on L2…Sully’s system requires speedy wings to get on the forecheck quick…he’s not fast enough to be a wing here…can’t wait until he goes back to center

With a full roster (ha) I'd like to see ERod and Carter both back at center and Blueger tried on wing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
With a full roster (ha) I'd like to see ERod and Carter both back at center and Blueger tried on wing.

idk about Blue on wing, he sucked at before but I’d still give ERod another swing at wing, just not with Sid lol…I’d like to give him a look either with Geno at LW or with Carter…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad