Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Jerks: Jarry stealing points, PP giving them away

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
At the risk of confusing some or our intellectually challenged posters with scary advanced stats, our PO odds went from 65.8% to 42.5%. We've dropped 40% in two games.

We're just one line and a good goalie.

Did you need advanced stats to arrive at that conclusion?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I'm in favor of a retool and would trade Guentzel.
I'd been fine with Trading him for a mentioned haul with a first and turning that around and getting an immediate impact player. Getting 2 top 6 wingers and Geno some help would help this team.

But it would need to be a haul

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Look the Dubas era is mostly a one or two year give the roster talent to compete. Sullivan has to go but that is not the major issue. Hextall set the contractual timeline for 3 years and then blow it up. After next season, move Rust, Geno and Karlsson for picks and begin the rebuild.

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Moral of the story - high danger chances stat is crap since it claims Penguins had more than the Canes while my eyes tell me a very different story. :)

Jarry with a vintage Jarry game - amazing performance then allows a soft goal to end it. But he is by a country mile the reason we stole a point. The turnovers and defensive ineptitude was something else especially in the first period. Sully went back to GCRust and it worked - not good news long term.

It's crazy how small of a threat EK65 is on the PP, yes, the coaching is terrible but then 6 on 5 comes and he is suddenly dangerous. What gives? Him and Malkin passing it slowly near the blue line is the least threatening PP strategy I have seen in my life.

Rakell tried to screen the goalie for a change, we almost scored and of course he was soon off the first unit. Probably not cause and effect but the first unit is so allergic to that kind of thing that who knows.
every HDCF Caroline had was two on one or one man breakout or open lane shot with Jarry standing on his head, ours were scraps around goalie that are push to score but they really rely on luck for puck to squeeze in, thats why their chances were way more memorable

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The issue is that once the water level settles back down to this team's normal play of marginally above .500 hockey, they better hope the teams near them also start losing more because they're punching above their weight lately and barely moving up the standings at all.

Reactions: farscape1

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
every HDCF Caroline had was two on one or one man breakout or open lane shot with Jarry standing on his head, ours were scraps around goalie that are push to score but they really rely on luck for puck to squeeze in, thats why their chances were way more memorable
It's no wonder why the Pens have trouble with their goalies staying healthy, so many odd man breaks makes the goalie have to react quickly to make saves. Much easier to tweak or pull something when doing this over and over. Then add the lack of crease clearers and the goalies have to deal with opposing players crashing the crease on a regular basis.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hmm

Why don't we give Crosby the wingers Malkin has been playing with, let's see how well he would do. I am pretty confident we would get the same results or worse.
this may be true s everal seasons back, but not this year, not now, Sid feels could carry two pylons and still be dangerous...Sid is much better in slowing the dman so Jake and third wheel can get and keep possession, also Sid doesn't loop around allows for his two other wingers to shorten the ice...They do cheat a little bit thats why they have too many odd many rushes allowed but they are danger....Geno on the other hand unless he is specifically motivated never slows down defensman, the puck comes out of their zone so quickly..he also is way more defensively contientous, pulls back and do a lot of defensive work. Sid although not as quick as he used to be, still can drive the play forward and he actually shoots puck, Geno mostly looking for a pass, maybe thats where the difference is, his wingers can't seem to get open, I had hopes that DOC would turn into that menace F1 that would slow down defense and allow for more possesion, but after a few really good games/effortd, he vanished last two games..anyways...what I think is needed more for L2 is to redefine their game, last night I swear everytime they were trying to get through NZ they were bumping into each other, it seemed almost like they never practice, they had no idea how to break out of their zone...

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Losing is what happens when you combine the forces of Jeff Carter, Jansen Harkins and Colin White.

Sully's absolute hatred towards younger players (in their prime) is costing this team games. Sully played a 36yo Crosby 24min while 26yo Aho got 21min.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Losing is what happens when you combine the forces of Jeff Carter, Jansen Harkins and Colin White.

Sully's absolute hatred towards younger players (in their prime) is costing this team games. Sully played a 36yo Crosby 24min while 26yo Aho got 21min.
Because we don’t have anyone else who can win a game for us lol…and it’s amazing to me that there are people on here who think this team is a contender

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The TOI issues also contribute to the PP issues because our #1 unit doesn't have any gas left to out work the PKers. There is zero reason to bench our 3rd line players in last nights game for giving up a goal while completely non-punishing any other lines/players in EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME when they do the same.

Its a self fulfilling prophecy for Sully and younger players. He never gives them ice time, so they never develop, giving him the "told you so" after he ruins their NHL careers because they never developed during their peak years.

This team isn't a true contender, but they could be significantly better with this roster. I just wish they were either significantly outside their current performance window so they could do something impactful. Either trade and acquire future draft assets or compete.

We ARE going to lose Jake for nothing and still miss the playoffs. Mark thy words.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

And 87's fatigue significantly contributed to the GWG.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The TOI issues also contribute to the PP issues because our #1 unit doesn't have any gas left to out work the PKers. There is zero reason to bench our 3rd line players in last nights game for giving up a goal while completely non-punishing any other lines/players in EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME when they do the same.

Its a self fulfilling prophecy for Sully and younger players. He never gives them ice time, so they never develop, giving him the "told you so" after he ruins their NHL careers because they never developed during their peak years.

This team isn't a true contender, but they could be significantly better with this roster. I just wish they were either significantly outside their current performance window so they could do something impactful. Either trade and acquire future draft assets or compete.

We ARE going to lose Jake for nothing and still miss the playoffs. Mark thy words.

Maybe don't give up 2 goals in 10 minutes, and maybe any other line aside from L1 could generate something. Since we were chasing the game, our PP sucks and L2/L3 are uninspiring, Sully has to play Sid 2 out of 5 shifts.

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This team needs a Kessel type guy that has enough skill to score without playing well overall. We are way too reliant on playing well to get offense.

It’s why I’d be fine with Kuzmenko. Just someone that can turn an innocent look or shift into a goal here or there.

I really think that (sans PP) is this teams biggest problem.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I feel the opposite way. The fact that they're 24-13-5 and a +19 GD despite shit goaltending makes me feel like they can do damage in the east. Just pick up a goalie at the deadline.
Washington are the frauds for me.
"Just pick up a goalie at the deadline" - definitely not an easy thing to do.

Not to sound like Mike Sullivan here but we were the better team in the 2nd and 3rd and by the time we tied it the Hurricanes (again, to me) appeared to turtle. We lost on the 3 on 3 cuz we suck on that.

Our whole division is frauds, seriously. Outside of the Rags i guess.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
If Poulin continues to impress in WBS, he should get a chance at LW. Smith should be back around the trade deadline and if Poulin can stick it would make it easier to trade Guentzel.

Smith Crosby Rakell
O'Connor Malkin Rust
Poulin Eller Puustinen
Nieto Acciari Puljujarvi
Carter

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I will just never understand the people that want to see the negatives and only the negatives.

The slow start was not good, but they battled back and played one of the top teams in the league pretty even for the rest of the game.

They didn't deserve a point based on the first period alone, but wasn't that one of the main reasons people bitched about Jarry? That he never steals them points? Well he just stole them 2 including the Vancouver game.

Only Crosby's line scored. And? Why is it a negative only for the Pens when their top offensive players score? Pettersson contributed to all of the Canucks goals the other night. Do you think Canuck fans care?

They could have had more points, but they got 4/6 points this week against 3 current playoff teams. Giving points to the Canucks doesn't matter at all and if it ends up mattering that we gave points to the Canes, that's probably a good sign because I can't see the Canes finishing lower than 2nd or 3rd in the division. A .667 points percentage is one of the top teams in the league, so if they keep that up they'll easily make the playoffs and they've been keeping that up for a month now.

Their PP went 0 for again, but.........OK, I got nothing for this one. Their PP sucks and has been costing them points all season.

There are negatives. I'm not denying that, but there are negatives for every team, especially the teams the Pens are competing with. Just last night, the Isles were up 1 with 5 minutes left and they didn't even get a point. The Caps, despite winning last night, are 3-5-2 in their last 10. Even good teams like the Canes and Canucks nearly blew 2 goal leads against the Pens. If any of these things happened to the Pens, this place would melt down.

Things will never be perfect, but they're picking up points at a pretty consistent pace. IMO, it's sustainable because they were playing well even before this streak, but they were let down by a nearly historically bad PP. The PP still sucks, but it's been ~19% since they broke the goalless streak. Like I said a month ago, if they had an even average PP (which 19% is), we would see things turn around. And it has. They're 9-3-3 since that. A .700 points percentage.

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
I started watching the game in the background after 2 periods, probably the worst 2 periods i have seen in a while... If you allow 5 breakaways in 2 periods and at least 3 or 4 2 on 1, you deserve to lose. Can't believe we got a point out of a shitty game like this.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I didn't but apparently many do. They'd rather post our record over the past few games than look at the underlying numbers and accept where this team is actually at.
Dude…you’ve watched every game over the last month like I have. They’re playing well. This is probably the best month of games they've played since before Covid. If it’s not, it’s the second best stretch.

Sometimes I think you forget that there is another team theyre playing against that is trying to win too.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad