Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Jerks: Jarry stealing points, PP giving them away

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The annoying thing is every other team in the division outside Carolina is a total fraud. A prime penguins team would destroy this division.

Reactions: dalewood12

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
The annoying thing is every other team in the division outside Carolina is a total fraud. A prime penguins team would destroy this division.
I still think Carolina is a fraud to some degree. Don't forget that Raanta was on waivers less than a month ago. Carolina to me looked extremely volatile last night. Came out swinging hard, but then turtled, and looked like a completely different team in the 2nd and 3rd. Raanta won them that game.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I still think Carolina is a fraud to some degree. Don't forget that Raanta was on waivers less than a month ago. Carolina to me looked extremely volatile last night. Came out swinging hard, but then turtled, and looked like a completely different team in the 2nd and 3rd. Raanta won them that game.
I feel the opposite way. The fact that they're 24-13-5 and a +19 GD despite shit goaltending makes me feel like they can do damage in the east. Just pick up a goalie at the deadline.
Washington are the frauds for me.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I feel the opposite way. The fact that they're 24-13-5 and a +19 GD despite shit goaltending makes me feel like they can do damage in the east. Just pick up a goalie at the deadline.
Washington are the frauds for me.
Carolina is just heating up. Playing on the level that was expected from them from the start of the season. Easily the best team in the division. Also, they didn´t turtle last night, they just weren´t able to secure the lead with that third goal despite having a million glorious chances to do so. All things considered (including Raanta playing surprisingly well), it was a miracle that we got a point.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Don't blame him considering he's 37, but it's sad to see how little Malkin can drive play nowadays. Just has very little impact on the game, good or bad. Heck I don't think he's been mentioned once in this entire thread. If he was still impacting the game as much as Crosby does I might have had a glimmer of hope this team could still compete.
Yes. But at this point we should be happy when he plays a conservative style instead of forcing things that are not there. Credit to Malkin for realizing who he is and with whom he plays, and playing accoordingly. Honestly, it´s OK that he just holds the ground 5 vs 5. If he can improve on the powerplay (not just him, but he is the big problem there), I will have little complaints. He is a limited player now, but not hurting us too much.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
if dumoulin is scoring threes of goals after leaving the pens i truly need to see a breakdown of players’ stats performances during and after their penguins tenures. i have to imagine it’s not a flattering +/-
Dumoulin has three goals and six assists for nine points in 41 games this season.
Last season, he had one goal and 24 assists for 25 points in 82 games.
The season before, he had three goals and 15 assists for 18 points in 76 games.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I feel like if we had been told that we'd get two points in these last two games vs. the Canucks and Hurricanes, that nearly everyone would've been fine with that.
Especially when going down by two goals in both games. Also, the extra points gifted in OT to Carolina and Vancouver don´t matter at all, these teams are not our playoff competition. Would have been nice to win one of those overtimes for sure, but two points are okay. Easily could´ve been zero.

Also, beat the Flyers the game before these two. 4 points out of 6 this week is a solid work. Things are very tight tho, need to find a little winning streak somewhere.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Moral of the story - high danger chances stat is crap since it claims Penguins had more than the Canes while my eyes tell me a very different story. :)

Jarry with a vintage Jarry game - amazing performance then allows a soft goal to end it. But he is by a country mile the reason we stole a point. The turnovers and defensive ineptitude was something else especially in the first period. Sully went back to GCRust and it worked - not good news long term.

It's crazy how small of a threat EK65 is on the PP, yes, the coaching is terrible but then 6 on 5 comes and he is suddenly dangerous. What gives? Him and Malkin passing it slowly near the blue line is the least threatening PP strategy I have seen in my life.

Rakell tried to screen the goalie for a change, we almost scored and of course he was soon off the first unit. Probably not cause and effect but the first unit is so allergic to that kind of thing that who knows.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Don't blame him considering he's 37, but it's sad to see how little Malkin can drive play nowadays. Just has very little impact on the game, good or bad. Heck I don't think he's been mentioned once in this entire thread. If he was still impacting the game as much as Crosby does I might have had a glimmer of hope this team could still compete.
Hmm

Why don't we give Crosby the wingers Malkin has been playing with, let's see how well he would do. I am pretty confident we would get the same results or worse.

Reactions: Andy99

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Moral of the story - high danger chances stat is crap since it claims Penguins had more than the Canes while my eyes tell me a very different story. :)

Jarry with a vintage Jarry game - amazing performance then allows a soft goal to end it. But he is by a country mile the reason we stole a point. The turnovers and defensive ineptitude was something else especially in the first period. Sully went back to GCRust and it worked - not good news long term.

It's crazy how small of a threat EK65 is on the PP, yes, the coaching is terrible but then 6 on 5 comes and he is suddenly dangerous. What gives? Him and Malkin passing it slowly near the blue line is the least threatening PP strategy I have seen in my life.

Rakell tried to screen the goalie for a change, we almost scored and of course he was soon off the first unit. Probably not cause and effect but the first unit is so allergic to that kind of thing that who knows.

Unbelievable, if true. Felt like the Canes at least trippled us in high danger chances amount. They had like 10 or more glorious chances to score that third goal at any point in the game. Would/should have been game over immediately.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
At the risk of confusing some or our intellectually challenged posters with scary advanced stats, our PO odds went from 65.8% to 42.5%. We've dropped 40% in two games.

We're just one line and a good goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
9-3-3 run isn't bad. I'd like to see a little trade/shakeup. Perhaps Joseph? Also like to see what Poulin, White and Puljujarvi can do. If Sully is playing Puustinen and Zohorna so little, force Sully's hands and send Harkins down. Also like to see maybe Lyubushkin type brought in. Not sure if Smith can be traded while injured.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
O'Connor Malkin Rakell
Poulin Eller Puljujarvi
Trade White Acciari
Carter

Pettersson Letang
Lyubushkin Karlsson
Graves Ludvig
Ruhwedel

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
9-3-3 run isn't bad. I'd like to see a little trade/shakeup. Perhaps Joseph? Also like to see what Poulin, White and Puljujarvi can do. If Sully is playing Puustinen and Zohorna so little, force Sully's hands and send Harkins down. Also like to see maybe Lyubushkin type brought in. Not sure if Smith can be traded while injured.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
O'Connor Malkin Rakell
Poulin Eller Puljujarvi
Trade White Acciari
Carter

Pettersson Letang
Lyubushkin Karlsson
Graves Ludvig
Ruhwedel

It's not bad at all but we need to Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuild

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
OMG ya. With 2 points against 2 top teams in the league. I mean with 9-3-3 run. It's outta our control, someone grab the wheel

Start the Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuild NOW
This is the type of cave-man thinking that makes teams buy when they should be selling. "We're only 2 points out, all we need to do is trade Yeager and next year's first and we're a lock for the POs!!"

Just because you don't like what the stats are telling you doesn't make them wrong.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
This is the type of cave-man thinking that makes teams buy when they should be selling. "We're only 2 points out, all we need to do is trade Yeager and next year's first and we're a lock for the POs!!"

Just because you don't like what the stats are telling you doesn't make them wrong.
Your looking at playoffs odd percentages based off a graph. Surely those graphs are 100% accurate and should be looked at after every single game. Keep breathing into that bag bro

If those were accurate we would all be millionaires like the book from back to the future

Biff is that you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad