Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Jackets shootout loss

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I didn't mind Mears and Errey and I don't mind Getzoff and Rupp/Borqy/Army/etc. When this comes up and people recommend other PBP/CC teams, I listen in to their games and I'm never swayed and swooned by them. I think the only time I've legitimately liked anyone over who we have/had is Doc.
Yeah our broadcasting team is the same as every other in the league in terms of carrying the water for the org. Do people not remember how over the top, sometimes unprofessionally biased Steigy and Errey were?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also there is nothing really surprising about Sullivan— he was a hack as a player, he was a hack in his previous coaching career, he has been a hack for most of his tenure here. He got lucky and had a good team of assistants around him who likely suggested far more of the systematic ideas than was originally thought, plus the last elite years of Sid, Geno, and Kessel.

He loves Carter because he is a vet. He loves Harkins because he sees a younger version of himself.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also there is nothing really surprising about Sullivan— he was a hack as a player, he was a hack in his previous coaching career, he has been a hack for most of his tenure here. He got lucky and had a good team of assistants around him who likely suggested far more of the systematic ideas than was originally thought, plus the last elite years of Sid, Geno, and Kessel.

He loves Carter because he is a vet. He loves Harkins because he sees a younger version of himself.
This is why I keep pushing back whenever someone says Sullivan is a "great coach whose voice just lost the room". I don't think he is a great coach. I think he's a dime a dozen coach who happened to have a 2 year stretch where everything fell right. Every single other season of his coaching career has been underperformance by his team.

Compare that to, say, a Jon Cooper. Even if you take away his 2 Cups, his coaching resume looks vastly superior to Sullivan's. Another Cup appearance plus a couple of ECF appearances. Outside of our 2 Cups Sullivan has basically been either out in the 1st round or didn't make it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is why I keep pushing back whenever someone says Sullivan is a "great coach whose voice just lost the room". I don't think he is a great coach. I think he's a dime a dozen coach who happened to have a 2 year stretch where everything fell right. Every single other season of his coaching career has been underperformance by his team.

Compare that to, say, a Jon Cooper. Even if you take away his 2 Cups, his coaching resume looks vastly superior to Sullivan's. Another Cup appearance plus a couple of ECF appearances. Outside of our 2 Cups Sullivan has basically been either out in the 1st round or didn't make it.

Agreed. It's funny how some of the Penguins twitter guys have turned on Sullivan, but still say shit like this..

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
If you fire Sullivan, you have to find another Sullivan.
I want a developmental coach. No more career 90s 4th -liners who no longer understand the way the game is played. That dude who runs the program at Quinnipac would be a logical choice for me.

Malkin, with the most
lackadaisical shoot out effort of all time...
Likely a big FU to the coach who never even gave him a chance at a hatty with his parents in the stands the other night. Don’t blame him tbh.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Agreed. It's funny how some of the Penguins twitter guys have turned on Sullivan, but still say shit like this..

Tweets like those bug me more so because they think the criticisms of Sullivan are only due to recent performance. Sullivan's coaching has been shit for near on 6 years now, yet those people act like everyone thought he was awesome until about a month ago.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Watching 2 bottom feeders is somewhat fun, as it's competitive....
Though that game was boring, I started forwarding it at certain points.

The OT...did we even get a shot on net? I don't know why they never put DOC out there.

Malkin didn't seem to excited about the shootout :/.

I don't know how we can keep losing all the time, and still be 7 points out of a playoffs spot. At least it keeps the remaining games interesting, though I would prefer a better 1st rounder.

It is what it is...
Watch us now beat the Rangers...lol :D.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad