Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Jackets: 4-3 win - Zucker says zuck it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Is it Tuesday yet...

So jazzed for actual real season hockey. And God help me, I'm very optimistic!!!

@Ryder71 someone is calling for your help.

I'm optimistic too. This team will be scrappy sans-Sid/Geno. Like always. Hopefully they strike the right balance when 87/71 return and Jarry's head is screwed on properly.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'd try it all.

As I said Sully got way too enamored with GCR and BART last year. This year's forward group has so many high-variance players and situations. Zucker coming off a dismal year. Sid, Geno and Jake off of injuries. Rust off an up and down year and hungry to get big $$$$ this offseason. McGinn and Heinen in new teams. Whatever Simon is. Maybe even O'Conner in the mix.

This isn't just an exercise in naming all the players (where is that guy anyway?). It's just saying that the group is too high-variance to not experiment a lot with usage and linemates.
If Simon was as effective with Sid as you guys claim, and superior to scoring winger options, management would never have let him go to Calgary instead of giving him 700k. They would have made space, since that's a huge bargain for top 6 level performance.

I have no problems with experimentation, even with Simon. We're gonna be plagued with injuries like always. There'll be openings.
However Simon is one of the last on that list for me, since I already have a pretty good idea what to expect and am not too enamored with it. It's like a C or C+ option when we may have hidden A's.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If Simon was as effective with Sid as you guys claim, and superior to scoring winger options, management would never have let him go to Calgary instead of giving him 700k. They would have made space, since that's a huge bargain for top 6 level performance.

I have no problems with experimentation, even with Simon. We're gonna be plagued with injuries like always. There'll be openings.
However Simon is one of the last on that list for me, since I already have a pretty good idea what to expect and am not too enamored with it. It's like a C or C+ option when we may have hidden A's.

It's pretty much just me claiming it. I guess other people have claimed it other times in previous Simon wars but I wasn't that invested. I always liked the player.

Simon wouldn't be the first option, but if Sid's going to want a high-IQ player with quickness and quick passing capabilities...he knows where to find him.

I'll get off my Simon hot takes because he already bores me. Pumped for Tuesday.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

From what I remember his QO was more than 700k and we were worried about arbitration.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
It's pretty much just me claiming it. I guess other people have claimed it other times in previous Simon wars but I wasn't that invested. I always liked the player.

Simon wouldn't be the first option, but if Sid's going to want a high-IQ player with quickness and quick passing capabilities...he knows where to find him.

I'll get off my Simon hot takes because he already bores me. Pumped for Tuesday.
Yeah he's boring. Another reason I don't want him with Sid.
I watch hockey to be entertained, rather than get pumped for post-game possession metrics.

I like the idea of Pens being heavy underdogs in the first few games. Takes the pressure off the players. Might help their structure and early focus levels. The last 4 years we've been awful in openers. Different approach now.

And if they lose then it's whatever, since they're very strong opponents who are favored even when Pens are healthy anyway.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Yeah, same. I don’t like Simon there, but as a stop gap for a deadline deal. Cool.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, the story with Simon was that they didn't qualify him due to being scared of arbitration, and they only had the money to bring back either Rodrigues or Simon and they picked ERod due to the hole at 3C.

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
When healthy, I’d like to see a 2nd line of

McGinn-Geno-Kap

Kind of gives off a Malone-Geno-Feds kind of vibe.

We know home run Simon will be on line 1 with Sid and Jake, so Carter with Rust and whoever on the 3rd and Blex with ZAR on the 4th only leaves a few questionable spots.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
When healthy, I’d like to see a 2nd line of

McGinn-Geno-Kap

Kind of gives off a Malone-Geno-Feds kind of vibe.

We know home run Simon will be on line 1 with Sid and Jake, so Carter with Rust and whoever on the 3rd and Blex with ZAR on the 4th only leaves a few questionable spots.

I think that is a lot of our takes. Either Heinen or McGinn as LW with Geno - Kap.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’ll live with the shitty lines (read: coaching) and the passive defense that leaves opposing players wide open in front of our net…but the one thing that scares me the most is our goaltending…Jarry looked off his angles again tonight and was misreading some shots…giving up 3-4 goals a game is a death sentence for this team…I’d be more excited, even without Sid and G, if it wasn’t for that….

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Unrelated to Simon - has Ruh claimed the #6D spot to start the year?

I’ll live with the shitty lines (read: coaching) and the passive defense that leaves opposing players wide open in front of our net…but the one thing that scares me the most is our goaltending…Jarry looked off his angles again tonight and was misreading some shots…giving up 3-4 goals a game is a death sentence for this team…I’d be more excited, even without Sid and G, if it wasn’t for that….

I hadn't noticed this about Jarry before tonight, but when he slides L-->R or R-->L he will often fail to stop and take himself entirely out of the net. He is vulnerable on East-West and the Glove Hand has become a weakness. Not a Matt Murray-sized weakness but definitely an issue.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I hadn't noticed this about Jarry before tonight, but when he slides L-->R or R-->L he will often fail to stop and take himself entirely out of the net. He is vulnerable on East-West and the Glove Hand has become a weakness. Not a Matt Murray-sized weakness but definitely an issue.
100% agree. His glove was a strength during his .920 year. Idk what happened.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Unrelated to Simon - has Ruh claimed the #6D spot to start the year?

Probably. He's sorta defaulted the spot because POJ had a dogshit camp/pre-season and Friedman just tried to give a guy the Dr. Hook McCracken. Could be worse, I guess. At least he's not Trotman (Cleveland tourism video "We're not Detroit!" vibes).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He does the net front thing better than Guentzel.

Carter is also a better option than Rust on PP1.

I don't think Guentzel will be losing that spot to Zucker because he's a star, but i could see Carter stealing Rust's spot.

Carter *should* get Rust's spot. He's more of a pure "shooter" for the role we need from that guy on the PP.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's totally mind boggling the amount of posters in the GDT who wanted us to get more sandpaper over the years and to stick up for our goalies who also whined about Friedman sticking up his goalie.

If you're going to get tossed, get tossed for doing something like THAT.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, the story with Simon was that they didn't qualify him due to being scared of arbitration, and they only had the money to bring back either Rodrigues or Simon and they picked ERod due to the hole at 3C.

Simon was also recovering from shoulder surgery at the time, and I don't think they wanted the extra doubt.

I'm a big Simon fan and I want this team to find a way to spread the talent but I'd like to see him get a few more competitive games and look good - like a guy who can be part of the playoff puzzle - before putting him back there. Crosby-Simon can crush mofos regular season when on their game, but this team needs some lines that keep scoring when things get tight and maybe Simon's part of that and maybe he isn't.

That said, my current dream lines if everyone's fit and playing well are...

Zucker-Crosby-Heinen
McGinn-Malkin-Kapanen
Guentzel-Carter-Rust
Bloogs and some dudes

The idea behind Heinen is the same behind Simon; he will get a lot of puck to the other guys in good positions. If Simon is playing well, he could be there. I know it's probably not happening, but that's two strong top six pairings (on limited evidence) with good complimentary wings, and a third line that would kill.

Also re Doc's point about line stability last year... BART only played 140 minutes. I know injuries played a part in that, but Sully had a bunch of looks at different uses of those players. And the results completely justified returning to it.

And while GCR was a fixture and I hope it's not this year, nobody did much outside that line to suggest it shouldn't be. The rest of the lineup will get shots there, they need to take them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's totally mind boggling the amount of posters in the GDT who wanted us to get more sandpaper over the years and to stick up for our goalies who also whined about Friedman sticking up his goalie.

I see your point, but there's plenty of ways to bring some abrasion and standing up for a guy that don't get you tossed. Lafferty's cross-check probably hurt just as much and didn't get him tossed. Or if you're getting to get tossed from the game, at least get tossed for taking a player with you, like Tanev did with Tinodi.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I see your point, but there's plenty of ways to bring some abrasion and standing up for a guy that don't get you tossed. Lafferty's cross-check probably hurt just as much and didn't get him tossed. Or if you're getting to get tossed from the game, at least get tossed for taking a player with you, like Tanev did with Tinodi.

Sure, there were definitely better ways to do it, and who knows if the cross check enforcement is going to be at all in place this year. All I'm saying is, I don't mind Freidman getting dirty to defend the goalie, whoever that goalie is. People wanted us to stand up for the goalies for years, so might as well get more people in on the action than just Freidman.

Reactions: Peat

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyhow, I kind of enjoy the fact that we have a bonafide pest on the roster now, judging from how much every opponent seems to hate him.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh

Agreed -- get your money's worth, which is something the Penguins NEVER do. Transfer what happened to the other end of the ice last night, and the Penguin who puts an elbow into the goalie's head gets a penalty and the other team -- as always -- gets a free (unpenalized) beatdown, and of course a power play.

You could almost hear Sully shrieking hysterically in the locker room between periods: "I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE ANYBODY ON THIS TEAM STICKING UP FOR A TEAMMATE EVER AGAIN!!! WHAT PART OF "JUST PLAY" DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND???"

Don't worry Sully, if you don't get your message across then the refs surely will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad