Pre-Game Talk: Pens vs. Isles Game 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This isn't true imo. I noticed our center coming low on break outs a lot to give a safe outlet so that the stretch pass wasn't the defense's only option. That was not something I saw much of in games 1-4.

Not a major system adjustment but a tweak that helped us not rely solely on the stretch pass.

I touched on this in the coaching thread a few times...

You don't have one single breakout. You have multiple options and looks and it is up to the players on the ice to read and react to determine the best breakout.

Ppl act like the Pens only breakout is the stretch pass... They have a number of breakouts with different variations. The stretch pass was used just as often yesterday as it has always been, but people aren't harping on it because the guys on the ice made good decisions.

So probably for the hundredth time, the system is very sound. The players have to play within the system, stayed disciplined and make the right decision. DB failings are not system related.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
The Pens didn't make any system adjustments... They made better decisions with the puck, better reads on the breakouts, and kept to their assignments much better. They also kept their foot on the gas until the final horn... That was huge.

The.
System.
Is.
Sound.

If you are telling me, that you didn't notice a more organized breakout, C staying lower with D-men, short passes to get out of our zone.... That we had quite a bit more variety in other words, and thus weren't constantly picked off, then I will say you don't know what you are talking about - and I know that isn't it.
So it must be that you will just defend 'the system' because you have throughout. Fact is that no system works, if your roster isn't executing and/or the opposition isn't allowing you to. A lot of the poor execution was entirely to NYI's credit, because they took away time and space. where Bylsma deserves hate is that his lines contributed to making that easier, and his insistence on not mixing up the breakout before game 5. No consistent breakout, lots of turn overs, no forecheck.

And yes..... Of course the team has more breakout options than the stretch pass. But when we go three games relying almost exclusively on firing it up the wall or attempting a long bomb to be redirected deep, and we are getting killed doing that.... Then it isn't because players make the wrong decisions for
180 minutes straight. Apparently Bylsma needed a video day....
Game 5 was a start, but there is still plenty to work on.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I thought I saw him as the last one out to congratulate Vokoun, but I wasn't sure. If so, then he probably hadn't gone to the locker room after getting elbowed in the head.

Still had the game on dvr & was curious...you're right, he did skate out and congratulate Vokoun.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If you are telling me, that you didn't notice a more organized breakout, C staying lower with D-men, short passes to get out of our zone.... That we had quite a bit more variety in other words, and thus weren't constantly picked off, then I will say you don't know what you are talking about - and I know that isn't it.
So it must be that you will just defend 'the system' because you have throughout. Fact is that no system works, if your roster isn't executing and/or the opposition isn't allowing you to. A lot of the poor execution was entirely to NYI's credit, because they took away time and space. where Bylsma deserves hate is that his lines contributed to making that easier, and his insistence on not mixing up the breakout before game 5. No consistent breakout, lots of turn overs, no forecheck.

I'll tell you straight out you are seeing guys read and react properly. The same breakouts have been there all season, but it's convienient for the DB retractors to ignore that and believe this team uses one single breakout. The stretch pass was still the predominant breakout last night. Suggesting otherwise is being disingenuous.

There is no way you can think DB and his coaching staff insist on their team only using one breakout the entire game.

I'm not sure how many more times I have to explain that the players on the ice determine the breakout based on what they see. That's why you regroup if need be.

Maybe you know more than the Isles players who played in the game and said there weren't any major adjustments... But well...

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
If the Penguins receive 0 penalties tonight like the Wings just did I have a feeling HFboards will have a bigger issue with it than they did tonight.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think it's very important for the Pens to look at Toronto/Boston, Wash/NYR, and Anaheim/Detroit. Each of these series had a point in time where it looked all but over. Now they are as close as it gets.

This team HAS to be focused tomorrow. I've watched them lose their cool/focus so much in this 5 game series so far it's ridiculous. Please, for my sanity, come out focused and do not give them a reason to find motivation. Just play strong defense, get good goaltending, and explode.

Please... end it. I don't want to see this team for Game 7. They are too talented.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So...i'm guessing that Isles that elbowed Sutter in face wont be suspended? if not then hopefully karma will be on our side and we wont see Isles 2nd line C in game 6.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

And yes..... Of course the team has more breakout options than the stretch pass. But when we go three games relying almost exclusively on firing it up the wall or attempting a long bomb to be redirected deep, and we are getting killed doing that.... Then it isn't because players make the wrong decisions for
180 minutes straight. Apparently Bylsma needed a video day....
If the system is working right the stretch pass is the lure so that Sid, Malkin, martin and Letang can bring plays up ice.

I'm hoping the Pens fake the stretch pass, reverse or double reverse a few times. The Isles have figured out to take away the wall. Everything else kills them... as long as the Pens manage the puck well.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'll tell you straight out you are seeing guys read and react properly. The same breakouts have been there all season, but it's convienient for the DB retractors to ignore that and believe this team uses one single breakout. The stretch pass was still the predominant breakout last night. Suggesting otherwise is being disingenuous.

There is no way you can think DB and his coaching staff insist on their team only using one breakout the entire game.

I'm not sure how many more times I have to explain that the players on the ice determine the breakout based on what they see. That's why you regroup if need be.

Maybe you know more than the Isles players who played in the game and said there weren't any major adjustments... But well...

You're right Jiggy. They had the option to make the same dumb play off the boards or trying to pass through skates/sticks but they were more patient with the puck and more often then not made the right decision instead of blindly throwing pucks up ice and having a ton of turnovers.

It looked better as each period went bye and with the new lines/personel/speed injection, you witnessed actual sustained attack in the O-Zone by the 3rd period.

I believe if DB ices the same roster, they will continue to progress and get even better.

They basically won 40 minutes of hockey after figuring things out for the first 20.

I expect a full 60 min effort tomorrow.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're right Jiggy. They had the option to make the same dumb play off the boards or trying to pass through skates/sticks but they were more patient with the puck and more often then not made the right decision instead of blindly throwing pucks up ice and having a ton of turnovers.

It looked better as each period went bye and with the new lines/personel/speed injection, you witnessed actual sustained attack in the O-Zone.

I believe if DB ices the same roster, they will continue to progress and get even better.

They basically won 40 minutes of hockey after figuring things out for the first 20.

I expect a full 60 min effort tomorrow.

I don't know man. The first 10 minutes will be rough. Isles will come out with a full out attack. If the Pens can survive and get a lucky bounce.... it will be amazing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't know man. The first 10 minutes will be rough. Isles will come out with a full out attack. If the Pens can survive and get a lucky bounce.... it will be amazing.

I'm a little less worried with the correct lines finally being implemented and some stability in goal.

I do believe the Isles can win but Nabakov will have to have a starring role.

ColdStare

Jul 20, 2011
Johnstown
Nielsen would be a big loss for them. He generally seems to play pretty well against the Pens. I'm not sold on TV so much. He was solid, but still a little shaky in the first, then "only" saw 17 for the rest of the game. Still, it was nice to see a goalie who didn't look like it was his first time on skates. If he (and the rest) can hold the Isles to 3, Pens should win.

Not sure what game you were watching, but he was far from shaky. Other than looking back after a couple of stops, he was the picture of stability. He held the Pens in it in the early going.

Dimetapppp

Apr 17, 2013
GO PENS WIN GAME!!!

They need to get to loose pucks and their game, win pucks in the corners and in one on one battles.

They need to help out on D, make smart plays in all zones and hungry.

They need to be disciplined, focused, on their toes and not their heels.

But really, in the words of the great John Madden, "All they really need to do is score more points than the other team...and...and...and they win the game."

Last edited by a moderator:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not sure what game you were watching, but he was far from shaky. Other than looking back after a couple of stops, he was the picture of stability. He held the Pens in it in the early going.

I think he was a bit nervous in the first. He left a couple juicy rebounds and wasn't 100% sure where pucks were. But that comes with being thrown in to a 2-2 series. Once the Pens started getting going, he was a machine.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Keys to victory tomorrow:

1-Bylsma doesn't do anything stupid, like revert to Kunitz and Dupuis on Sid's line and Iggy back with Malkin and Neal, as well as sitting Vitale or Kennedy for Glass.

2-Vokoun is once again solid.

3-Pens match the effort and intensity of Games 1 and 5, and remember how embarrassing their efforts were in Games 2 to 4.

If those three things occur, I have confidence the Pens will win. If any of the above doesn't happen, then it very well could be back to Pittsburgh for Game 7 on Sunday.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That Crosby - Iginla pairing works quite well in elimination games.

crosby-scores-gold-goal-o.gif

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Until game 5, the fourth line had been a major liability. So much so, that DB didn't really play it as a unit, and only seemed comfortable double-shifting Geno or Sid onto it in order to get those guys minutes.

Of course, that didn't make Tanner Glass any less useless of a hockey player.

But in Game 5, as we all know, Joe Victory and TFK brought speed and effort, and instead of tiring our own players (Crosby and Malkin), they tired out the Islanders in their own zone.

Vitale logged something like 10 minutes, TFK 14, and Adams 12. Now the latter two had some special teams time mixed in there, but that is staggeringly more than our 4th liners had been playing in previous games during this series. I believe the fact that our other 3 lines were all better rested was a major factor in our success.

Sure, Crosby still played 19 minutes. But that's significantly less than the 23 minutes he was called upon in Game 2, his first game back, where DB had him playing 5 minutes in the first period, followed by a 9 minute 2nd period and a 9 minute 3rd. Playing that much, especially the back-loaded spacing of the minutes, must have had a deleterious effect on Sid's ability to execute towards the end there.

And against a fast team like the Isles, you're going to be doing a lot of skating and you're going to be getting tired out there. All the more reason that rolling a full 4 lines -- and effective 4 lines -- is so essential in this particular match-up. I don't know if DB realized this, or if he just sorta backed into it, but I hope he adopts a similar philosophy for game 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad