Pre-Game Talk: Pens vs. Isles Game 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLPensFan

Jun 5, 2012
STL, MO
At the risk of encouraging trolling NYI/main board people, I'm going to say I like our chances.

Islanders have last change, but they are missing a top defenseman and possibly their second center. Nabokov back in net.

Best is the quote from Moulson: "“I don't think it was any major adjustments from them."

If they're going to under-estimate what was different with the Pens last game, be missing players, and putting Nabbie back in net, I like our chances.

Source: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins...viewpenguins+(Penguins+Stories)#ixzz2SvoB9TKQ

Ray Shero*

With a stable TV in net I like our chances.

I wish I was good with photoshop so I could have a picture of a TV in a hockey net here...

4-2 because the Isles will play desperate.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't see Nabokov out-dueling Vokoun. As much attention as Fleury has gotten for being bad, Nabokov has been even worse. I don't think it'll be another shutout but I think we finally see the Pens showing some killer instinct, putting in a few goals and locking things down. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
When was the last time the Pens finished a team off in an elimination game in their first crack at it? Dropped 3 in a row against Tampa and lost series, 2 in a row vs Montreal and lost series, lost against Ottawa in 2010 before winning next game.

Has it really been since the Game 7 against Detroit? Damn

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
If I were a betting man, I'd put money on a 4-2 Pens victory. But I'm not a betting man, so I'll just post it here instead.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I like our chances. But I'll say this about the Islanders: They've shown the Pens that they don't have to worry about just a goaltending matchup. We can be beaten on 5-on-5 play.

True, but Nabby has been a back breaker. At least we had Vokoun to turn to, they can't say the same. I'm also encouraged by how they looked last night. Unless DB starts ****ing with the lines again I think they may have solved their 5 on 5 issues.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't see Nabokov out-dueling Vokoun. As much attention as Fleury has gotten for being bad, Nabokov has been even worse. I don't think it'll be another shutout but I think we finally see the Pens showing some killer instinct, putting in a few goals and locking things down. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Nabokov has been extraordinarily bad. I thought for sure they'd give Poulin a shot. I don't see how it could hurt. I mean... at least Fleury shut them out in the first game, I guess... as bad as he's been. The Penguins have averaged what... almost 4 goals a game against Nabby? Maybe they are betting that he'll bounce back with all the chips down, or something.

All that said... the Islanders are far from done. The Penguins absolutely can't let up in this game and have to play an even tighter game than they did yesterday if they want to avoid a game 7.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Nielsen would be a big loss for them. He generally seems to play pretty well against the Pens. I'm not sold on TV so much. He was solid, but still a little shaky in the first, then "only" saw 17 for the rest of the game. Still, it was nice to see a goalie who didn't look like it was his first time on skates. If he (and the rest) can hold the Isles to 3, Pens should win.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Nabokov has been extraordinarily bad. I thought for sure they'd give Poulin a shot. I don't see how it could hurt. I mean... at least Fleury shut them out in the first game, I guess... as bad as he's been. The Penguins have averaged what... almost 4 goals a game against Nabby? Maybe they are betting that he'll bounce back with all the chips down, or something.

All that said... the Islanders are far from done. The Penguins absolutely can't let up in this game and have to play an even tighter game than they did yesterday if they want to avoid a game 7.

His GAA for this series is 4.69. Compare that to MAF's, as bad as he looked, at 3.40. Pretty turrble. But yeah, 5 games and 20 goals against.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
At the risk of encouraging trolling NYI/main board people, I'm going to say I like our chances.

Islanders have last change, but they are missing a top defenseman and possibly their second center. Nabokov back in net.

Best is the quote from Moulson: "“I don't think it was any major adjustments from them."

If they're going to under-estimate what was different with the Pens last game, be missing players, and putting Nabbie back in net, I like our chances.

Source: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins...viewpenguins+(Penguins+Stories)#ixzz2SvoB9TKQ

The Pens didn't make any system adjustments... They made better decisions with the puck, better reads on the breakouts, and kept to their assignments much better. They also kept their foot on the gas until the final horn... That was huge.

The.
System.
Is.
Sound.

CrozJawz*

I really expect the Isles to goon it up a bit tomorrow. They will be desperate and looking for ways to get the Pens off their game. They will take a page from the Flyers and I look for them to go after Malkin, Crosby, Neal, and Letang, early and often and try and goat them or somebody coming to their aid into a dumb penalty. They will be relentless all night long and will keep driving the Pens back and back, over and over again.

The Pens will need to match their intensity and drive and drive the nail in the coffin.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
We have to play our game and stay away from the shenanigans that they're going to try and drag us into You could see the writing on the wall towards the end of Game 5.

Let them be stupid. Score on the PP changes they give us and end this

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Get up 2/3-0 and they'll cave again.

Islanders have given it a fair go at it, and they've done well for their first showing in years. Many props to them.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not gonna say the Pens are about to get dominated, but 5-0 Islanders.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Pens didn't make any system adjustments... They made better decisions with the puck, better reads on the breakouts, and kept to their assignments much better. They also kept their foot on the gas until the final horn... That was huge.

The.
System.
Is.
Sound.

This isn't true imo. I noticed our center coming low on break outs a lot to give a safe outlet so that the stretch pass wasn't the defense's only option. That was not something I saw much of in games 1-4.

Not a major system adjustment but a tweak that helped us not rely solely on the stretch pass.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Getting an early goal or two would be huge. When the Isles have to get out of their trap they look very vulnerable. When they get the lead they just suffocate us in the neutral zone and transition on us with turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia