Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Hawks | win | We won it for Geno.... Barely.....

Geno:

• Trade him he deserves better

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • So happy hes retiring a Pen

Votes: 32 82.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Still only 1-point out of a playoff spot after that horrible run.
And on top of that, only 1 regulation win out of 3rd place.
Weird, that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Still only 1-point out of a playoff spot after that horrible run.
And on top of that, only 1 regulation win out of 3rd place.
Weird, that.
That's where winning those games early and stealing a few we shouldn't have won help.

Reactions: LOGiK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Mike Sullivan should be fired for the 2-9 record that began when he put Rust on L1 and ended when he was taken off.

The offensive output and record of this team with Rakell on L1 and Rust on L2 is too significant for the FO to just be like "Oh, well, what are ya gonna do, keep at it Mikey!"

No, that overall was a serious error in judgment that he doubled down on night after night despite the entire world screaming for the switch back. Back one game, 6 goals.

Sullivan even had the audacity to say "it's only one game, we'll see how it goes" after the Minnesota game.

Like how utterly ridiculous is he that he's still not sure Rakell works on that line, yet has no qualms putting Rust there game after game after shitty game for a dozen games in a row?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sullivan even had the audacity to say "it's only one game, we'll see how it goes" after the Minnesota game.

Like how utterly ridiculous is he that he's still not sure Rakell works on that line, yet has no qualms putting Rust there game after game after shitty game for a dozen games in a row?

Imagine having Sid produce 10 points in 3 games with Rakell on his line and then refusing to put Rakell on the PP which sucks.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
This is from a poster on another site…

“Here's a look at the 4th line since Blueger returned:

vs Toronto - 60% CF, 4 SCF 1 SCA, 95.6 xGF%
vs Minnesota - 73.3% CF, 6 SCF 1 SCA, 92.6 xGF%
vs Winnipeg - 41.2% CF, 3 SCF 5 SCA, 56.1 xGF%
vs Chicago - 41.2% CF, 1 SCF 3 SCA, 44.87 x GF%

Through 4 games the 4th line has been on for 1 5v5 goal for and zero against. A little hemmed in their zone the last two games, but not being on the ice for a 5v5 goal against is nice to see.

Brock McGinn is a career 10.4% shooter. He's currently firing at a 20.0% rate.
Bryan Rust is a career 12.7% shooter. He's currently shooting 9.8%
Zucker is a career 12.3% shooter, he's currently 11.4% and shot a measly 7.8% last season. Injuries matter.

Over the last two weeks there are only 5 skaters with a CF% over 51%. Geno's line (which has been outstanding), Ruhwedel (3 games) and Rutta. McGinn is dead last at 38.46%. His high shooting % has kept him afloat. Not a recipe for success. Not far behind McGinn are Carter and Heinen. Maybe, just maybe that 3rd line isn't very good?

Kris Letang sits at an ugly 44.4 CF% over the last two weeks with a 43.9 xGF% and a 42.1 SCF%. His struggles are real right now.

The Pens are 5-3-2 in their last 10 with a 3 game winning streak, but the underlying numbers aren't great. Over the last 2 weeks, the Pens have a CF% of 48.89 and sit at 20th. They've been out chanced as well, albeit not by a huge margin. Their 5v5 shooting % sits 3rd in the league over this time, but you could actually say they're 2nd as the first two teams are only separated by .2. I'm not sure they can ride this shooting % all season.”
I thought L3 was uncommonly adequate last night. But we're just not going to get much out of that trio (If only it was a 27 year old Carter instead of a 37 year old Carter). Best hope is that they don't bleed goals.

Reactions: Andy99

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

It just shows why all coaches have a shelf life. They generally come in and evaluate players as objectively as possible and put together what tends to work best. Then they eventually get married to their preferred lines, system, etc and human subjectivity increases. Unless desperate, they will stick with what they believe to be true rather than what may objectively be true. It’s human nature I suppose.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It just shows why all coaches have a shelf life. They generally come in and evaluate players as objectively as possible and put together what tends to work best. Then they eventually get married to their preferred lines, system, etc and human subjectivity increases. Unless desperate, they will stick with what they believe to be true rather than what may objectively be true. It’s human nature I suppose.

I understand human nature, but how do you watch Sid with Rakell and not inject it straight into your vein.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
When you look at the stats and record with having Rak on the top line, it's even more upsetting that Sully deliberately f***ed the team so hard for those 11 other games. What an asshole.

Reactions: Zbynek

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I understand human nature, but how do you watch Sid with Rakell and not inject it straight into your vein.
IIRC, half of Sid's points in the last 3 games have been without Rakell on the ice. Then again, most of those were empty-net or gifts from Helleyback but we are talking about Sully here, he will use any excuse for not changing PP1.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Many of you are making a far bigger deal out of Rakell on L1 than Crosby just being in a slump and Rust sucking.

Rakell will do well anywhere we put him. Hes our 2nd best winger.

Rakell looked good on L2 as well. He's not just some magic pill that injected Crosby. Sids always going to get his.

Now Rust is a problem and L2 will suffer from it. But it's basically a 1 step forward 1 step back situation with L1/L2.

Rakell should definitely be in PP1

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah but did you see the empty-net goals that Rust and Guentzel scored? [/Sully logic]

It cracked me up when Errey and Mears were waxing lyrical about Jake's empty net goalscoring prowess. Sure, it's nice to have that but shouldn't we be worried that his non-empty net goal production has cratered and his defense is often reminiscent of Kessel's 2019 form?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Many of you are making a far bigger deal out of Rakell on L1 than Crosby just being in a slump and Rust sucking.

Rakell will do well anywhere we put him. Hes our 2nd best winger.

Rakell looked good on L2 as well. He's not just some magic pill that injected Crosby. Sids always going to get his.

Now Rust is a problem and L2 will suffer from it. But it's basically a 1 step forward 1 step back situation with L1/L2.

Rakell should definitely be in PP1

;(

Yeah but did you see the empty-net goals that Rust and Guentzel scored? [/Sully logic]

It cracked me up when Errey and Mears were waxing lyrical about Jake's empty net goalscoring prowess. Sure, it's nice to have that but shouldn't we be worried that his non-empty net goal production has cratered and his defense is often reminiscent of Kessel's 2019 form?

I’m not sure I feel that way about Jake.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
You don't find it a little bit suspicious that Crosby's slump started immediately when Rust was put on his line and then ended immediately when Rust was taken off his line?
No I don't. Rust didn't help but Crosby has always done more with less in his career. He was going to come around no matter.

Don't get me wrong Rust wasn't help matters but taking Rakell off L2 isn't going to help out L2 either. Soon the hang Malkin chants will begin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No I don't. Rust didn't help but Crosby has always done more with less in his career. He was going to come around no matter.

Don't get me wrong Rust wasn't help matters but taking Rakell off L2 isn't going to help out L2 either. Soon the hang Malkin chants will begin

Why Malkin is on a 7 point game streak?

The fact is Rust is easier to hide when he isn't playing 19 minutes a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad