Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Hawks | win | We won it for Geno.... Barely.....

Geno:

• Trade him he deserves better

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • So happy hes retiring a Pen

Votes: 32 82.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1 line isn't going to do us jack in the playoffs. Hasn't everyone been complaining about these 1st round exits?
We're a 1 line team now? When I checked yesterday we had the most 5v5 goals in the NHL.
McGinn has 4 ES goals in the last 6 games. Poehling did all the work on Geno's goal.
L2 have scored twice in the last 2 games.
We have been holding on to wins by the skin of our teeth.
That's the way things go in the NHL. It's a league built to promote parity. Even the top teams deal with this.
There's more of these close games to come. Get used to it.
We have been holding on to wins by the skin of our teeth. Sure a win is a win but those wins could have gone either way and I am not gonna sit here and say Rakell on L1 was the deciding factor on those wins. If you are you are kidding yourself. You're going to win some of those and you're going to lose some.
Games are never won by one player. Team sport. But to claim that it hasn't jolted L1 is some next level delusional stuff...
L1's corsi has gone up like 20% since the change. The high danger chances against shot down. The high danger chances for shot up. The goal balance swung dramatically.

2-6-2 Crosby + Rust
6-0-1 Crosby + Rakell

Purely coincidental, I'm sure.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
We're a 1 line team now? When I checked yesterday we had the most 5v5 goals in the NHL.
McGinn has 4 ES goals in the last 6 games. Poehling did all the work on Geno's goal.
L2 have scored twice in the last 2 games.

That's the way things go in the NHL. It's a league built to promote parity. Even the top teams deal with this.
There's more of these close games to come. Get used to it.

Games are never won by one player. Team sport. But to claim that it hasn't jolted L1 is some next level delusional stuff...
L1's corsi has gone up like 20% since the change. The high danger chances against shot down. The high danger chances for shot up. The goal balance swung dramatically.

2-6-2 Crosby + Rust
6-0-1 Crosby + Rakell

Purely coincidental, I'm sure.
I guess we will see.

Use the data when it fits your needs but when those games are against teams that have no business being in games with a team that is built like ours parity or not. People cry " we are beating crappy teams but then when we beat those same crappy teams with the lines they see fit they want to pull out all the fancy data to prove points which have their own flaws to begin with.

I have been correct on Zucker, Rakell, Archi, Geno so far and wrong on Kap and Petts. I hope I am wrong but would them have rather kept Geno Zucker and Rakell together and fixed L1. With or without Rust.

They still need to get Rak on PP1

Last edited:

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Use the data when it fits your needs but when those games are against teams that have no business being in games with a team that is built like ours parity or not. People cry " we are beating crappy teams but then when we beat those same crappy teams with the lines they see fit they want to pull out all the fancy data to prove points which have their own flaws to begin with.
We weren't beating any teams when Rust was on L1 except for two games. Feel free to believe that this was just a coincidence. You don't need any fancy stats, just look at the wins and losses or Rust and Rakell's respective plus/minus. The fancy stats merely confirm what is painfully obvious already.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It would be fun if Geno was getting 4 pts a night too

BUT if the team is winning, it reeeaaaally doesn't matter

And games are close in the nhl. The pens are closer to average now so they'll have to fight with more parity

Even the worst team in the league has some of the best hockey players on the planet and they'll score goals if they can

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I guess we will see.

I have been correct on Zucker, Rakell, Archi, Geno so far and wrong on Kap and Petts. I hope I am wrong but would them have rather kept Geno Zucker and Rakell together and fixed L1. With or without Rust.

Data that fits my needs? I don't have needs, or a player leaning like you. Just want the team to win.

GCRak is 19-4 in goals going back to last year. Stop pushing back over obvious realities. Accept things as they are.

Reactions: Genetic

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah, I don't get this. Geno's a way better two way player than Carter, especially when he's got a line-mate he clicks with. I get if they don't want to give Geno minutes to keep him fresh. I don't get not giving Geno minutes because the 4th line needs them, while keeping the 3rd line at the same minutes and riding an already not-great Carter into the ground.

I definitely believe that McGinn deserves a promotion to L2, he's looked great as of late. But I also shudder to think how overused a 3rd line of Heinen - Carter - Rust would be. :laugh:
Are we being hard on Carter on principle though? What are his actual results lately?
His line's been scored on twice in his 7 games since returning. Doing a pretty good job at defending leads. I'll take that all day if he's being leaned on with 70% D-zone usage. +3 during that time.
That's an overlooked part of this turnaround. L3's giving us a chance.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
This is from a poster on another site…

“Here's a look at the 4th line since Blueger returned:

vs Toronto - 60% CF, 4 SCF 1 SCA, 95.6 xGF%
vs Minnesota - 73.3% CF, 6 SCF 1 SCA, 92.6 xGF%
vs Winnipeg - 41.2% CF, 3 SCF 5 SCA, 56.1 xGF%
vs Chicago - 41.2% CF, 1 SCF 3 SCA, 44.87 x GF%

Through 4 games the 4th line has been on for 1 5v5 goal for and zero against. A little hemmed in their zone the last two games, but not being on the ice for a 5v5 goal against is nice to see.

Brock McGinn is a career 10.4% shooter. He's currently firing at a 20.0% rate.
Bryan Rust is a career 12.7% shooter. He's currently shooting 9.8%
Zucker is a career 12.3% shooter, he's currently 11.4% and shot a measly 7.8% last season. Injuries matter.

Over the last two weeks there are only 5 skaters with a CF% over 51%. Geno's line (which has been outstanding), Ruhwedel (3 games) and Rutta. McGinn is dead last at 38.46%. His high shooting % has kept him afloat. Not a recipe for success. Not far behind McGinn are Carter and Heinen. Maybe, just maybe that 3rd line isn't very good?

Kris Letang sits at an ugly 44.4 CF% over the last two weeks with a 43.9 xGF% and a 42.1 SCF%. His struggles are real right now.

The Pens are 5-3-2 in their last 10 with a 3 game winning streak, but the underlying numbers aren't great. Over the last 2 weeks, the Pens have a CF% of 48.89 and sit at 20th. They've been out chanced as well, albeit not by a huge margin. Their 5v5 shooting % sits 3rd in the league over this time, but you could actually say they're 2nd as the first two teams are only separated by .2. I'm not sure they can ride this shooting % all season.”
Swear I saw some guy on here pointing out that McGinn is shooting double his career %. Hmm....

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Are we being hard on Carter on principle though? What are his actual results lately?
His line's been scored on twice in his 7 games since returning. Doing a pretty good job at defending leads. I'll take that all day if he's being leaned on with 70% D-zone usage. +3 during that time.
That's an overlooked part of this turnaround. L3's giving us a chance.
I don’t think the eye test matches the stats for one. L3 was brutal against Minnesota, they were okay against the Hawks. Winnipeg they were fine but that was a team effort. Either way, I don’t see them being good enough to justify taking away time from the second line instead of taking time from L4.

But hey, I also know it’s pissing into the wind.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I guess we will see.

From a few days ago so these stats would need to be updated, but:

"By my proprietary numbers, GCRak is 1.6x better than GCRust: 68.5 vs. 42.5.

ZMRak is at 68.4 and ZMRust is at 59.7.

(best you can do is 100)"

GCRak+ZMRust = 128.2 > GCRust+ZMRak = 110.9

Rakell with Crosby and Rust with Malkin improves the top lines by about 16%.

Reactions: Andy99

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
From a few days ago so these stats would need to be updated, but:

"By my proprietary numbers, GCRak is 1.6x better than GCRust: 68.5 vs. 42.5.

ZMRak is at 68.4 and ZMRust is at 59.7.

(best you can do is 100)"

GCRak+ZMRust = 128.2 > GCRust+ZMRak = 110.9

Rakell with Crosby and Rust with Malkin improves the top lines by about 16%.
Thanks, Dom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad