Series Talk: Pens vs Habs Round 1 Best of Five - Episode 3: Déguédine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Since 2012, pretty much. But that's fine and it works. It was not a criticism, just that Sprong would not have a role on a team that has the best player ever at doing the only thing Sprong could do.

Well, I respectfully disagree. You mentioned 2012 because I assume that is when his hits count started to come down.

However, with each passing season I feel Ovechkin has become a much smarter player in terms of dishing off when his shot is not there. I feel his hockey IQ is much maligned and very underrated. He is becoming a far better passer of the puck, too.

Then again, Brett Hull's playmaking skills were underrated throughout his career, as were Mike Bossy's.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Thoughts on playoff avatar themes? One for “play-in” round?

Maybe screw with people about “Placeholder”?!?

48l8z7.jpg

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well, I respectfully disagree. You mentioned 2012 because I assume that is when his hits count started to come down.

However, with each passing season I feel Ovechkin has become a much smarter player in terms of dishing off when his shot is not there. I feel his hockey IQ is much maligned and very underrated. He is becoming a far better passer of the puck, too.

Then again, Brett Hull's playmaking skills were underrated throughout his career, as were Mike Bossy's.

Look at his assists totals.

I am not saying he cannot do the playmaking, he just is not asked to.

He DID get smarter and that's why he adjusted his game to focus on goal scoring.

It works because the Caps have the pieces around him to allow him to play like that. That is also smart because it maximizes his goal output which, well, is the objective of the damn game :laugh:

I am not saying he could not do other things. I am saying he does not, by design. That's the role a guy like Sprong could have on that team and they have the best ever at it.

Reactions: Dominance

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yohe's 10 points from training for ought who care

Lot of neutral zone work
Good day for goalies; Murray's sharpest day yet, Jarry "continued to dazzle"
Malkin and McCann flip-flopped between right and left sides on PP
Rust looks great and his improved shooting is in evidence
Sick deflections from Crosby, both of him and Malkin look locked on
Speed game on display
Bigs up Ruh again
A lap was done after drills 4 separate times for conditioning - the leaders variously were Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel
Still no sign of Horny and the Hounddogs
Sully is pleased

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Lot of neutral zone work
Speed game on display
Bigs up Ruh again
A lap was done after drills 4 separate times for conditioning - the leaders variously were Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel
Sully is pleased

I'm thinking it's more and more likely that Ruhwedel's going to be a regular next year. And frankly I don't have a problem with it.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Lot of neutral zone work
Speed game on display
Bigs up Ruh again
Sully is pleased
McCann sucks on PP. Hope he is just filling it for Horny, Sully loves his shot but he always looks utterly lost on PP, this flip floping as long as it is part of PP's movement, OK, but if it was static and he keeps Geno on the left wall...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm thinking it's more and more likely that Ruhwedel's going to be a regular next year. And frankly I don't have a problem with it.

Right now he’s better than Schultz in everything except PP/shooting...if it wasn’t for the PP, I’d hazard a guess that Ruh would be playing over him...

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
One of the great joys in the expansion of hockey microstats becoming available to the public is the ability to see so much more data on how guys pass the puck and all I can say is if Ovechkin is becoming a better and smarter passer, that skill is being very underused. Scandale is right. Ovechkin is asked to rush the puck, shoot the puck, and sweet fa else by his team.

I guess if that's what we get squeezed to I can live with it and I can see where you're coming from, but this wouldn't be the first time a depth player got a lot of love but then more depth stuck in front of him.

McCann sucks on PP. Hope he is just filling it for Horny, Sully loves his shot but he always looks utterly lost on PP, this flip floping as long as it is part of PP's movement, OK, but if it was static and he keeps Geno on the left wall...

I wouldn't say he sucks, but I do think that maybe having Rust in there instead would be better... I don't think he's filling in for Horny though, as Guentzel's standing in his spot. Unless they're going to slide Guentzel up to do what McCann does?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

The Pens will get priced out on the higher end options. That said, I hope they are able to add a legit 3rd pairing guy regardless. Don't want them to be too thin back there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

The flip flopping apparently was part of the PP's movement, but we've seen how it STARTS that way in the past. And, you know the old saying . . . fool me once, shame on you; fool me for the 316th time, then I'm a big ******* idiot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah I was gonna bitch about it but didn't feel like listening to a chorus of "It'S oNlY CaMp!"

Not sure what they are thinking re: McCann there. Just doesn't have the raw skill or mindset for the powerplay, IMO. And wrong-siding Geno on the powerplay is always dumb. But I suppose it's better than their "split units" madness so whatever. Hopefully it's an evolving situation.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Pens will get priced out on the higher end options. That said, I hope they are able to add a legit 3rd pairing guy regardless. Don't want them to be too thin back there.

I'm fine with going into next year with JJ-Ruhwedel and POJ pushing JJ out of the lineup sometime next year. My preferred route would be to trade JJ and bring in a defenseman that can play either side, so they can start on LD and then slide to RD when POJ is fully NHL ready.

I've said this before, but too bad the Penguins traded Oleksiak. Oleksiak would be a great option for that bottom pair.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I was gonna bitch about it but didn't feel like listening to a chorus of "It'S oNlY CaMp!"

Not sure what they are thinking re: McCann there. Just doesn't have the raw skill or mindset for the powerplay, IMO. And wrong-siding Geno on the powerplay is always dumb. But I suppose it's better than their "split units" madness so whatever. Hopefully it's an evolving situation.

Dr StrangeKIRK Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the Pens PP lunacy and Love the Trainwreck

:D

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hoping for the same and POJ making the jump to being a bottom pairing PMD to start next year. Don't want to rush him, just would be great if he's ready

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm fine with going into next year with JJ-Ruhwedel and POJ pushing JJ out of the lineup sometime next year. My preferred route would be to trade JJ and bring in a defenseman that can play either side, so they can start on LD and then slide to RD when POJ is fully NHL ready.

I've said this before, but too bad the Penguins traded Oleksiak. Oleksiak would be a great option for that bottom pair.

That leave you too thin on the blueline. No problem with Ruh as front runner, but you need to add someone legit to at least push Ruh and who's an injury replacement option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad